How long should the PS be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squarepants

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a school that doesn't give length requirements. Actually, more schools may be like this, because I've only just started trying to write the PS. Anyway, what's a good length for a PS? I'm guessing 500 words, but I really have no idea. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Every school will have a specific limit. It could be 500 words, 1000 words, 1 page, 2 pages. It should say in the application materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I see. It says "on a separate sheet of paper". I presume it should fit on that, double-spaced? Or can I get away with single-spacing it?

Ah, I see. It says "on a separate sheet of paper". I presume it should fit on that, double-spaced? Or can I get away with single-spacing it?

I think it varies. I statement of purpose was about 1300 words. That was fine for most schools. One school wanted a statement of purpose in 500 words and an additional personal history statement in 500 words as well. I found that to be very hard for me to do. Then again, I have never been accused of being concise. ;)

That's pretty vague. Are you sure it's not explained more explicitly somewhere else in the application materials? Every school I applied to had a very clear "submit a 1 page (single-spaced) personal statement," or whatever other instruction.

If it doesn't say anything else more specific, I'd take the opportunity to single-space it :p