How long should you stay at your first job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for the sake of your CV for future hiring.

Got hired at a retail chain last year and my one year is quickly approaching. Been floating since day 1 and seems like no staff positions are available in my area anytime soon. I actually love floating but on average, I drive about 40 min each way to all the different stores and I am exhausted!

So I'm looking to get in touch with my contacts about other job opportunities. I am all about professionalism and don't want to be viewed as a "job hopper." Is 1 year a good time to apply for new jobs and move on?

Members don't see this ad.

My first job, I worked 3 hours and quit.

Fixing furniture was not my thing.

You only made it 3 hours, huh? I completed my first day, 8 hours, in construction and found that it wasn't for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until you find a better job

I think one year is good. My dad is a business manager and he always suggest staying for a year. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to switch jobs every year.

I had 9 different pharmacist jobs in first 12 years of my career

I've been told at least 2 years by some big name clinical people.

But I don't think it is career suicide to jump ship sooner for the perfect opportunity elsewhere.

4 Years and don't give up :).

if the job sucks dont stay for the sake of CV. staying at a job isnt what it was years ago.

these days people leave jobs with in 1 year. it isnt the same working world your parents and grandparents were in.

if you see a better job and get it, i say jump on it. life is all about right place at the right time.