How long should you stay at your first job?

Started by eddie269
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eddie269

Still in shock...
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This question is for the sake of your CV for future hiring.

Got hired at a retail chain last year and my one year is quickly approaching. Been floating since day 1 and seems like no staff positions are available in my area anytime soon. I actually love floating but on average, I drive about 40 min each way to all the different stores and I am exhausted!

So I'm looking to get in touch with my contacts about other job opportunities. I am all about professionalism and don't want to be viewed as a "job hopper." Is 1 year a good time to apply for new jobs and move on?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think one year is good. My dad is a business manager and he always suggest staying for a year. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to switch jobs every year.
 
I've been told at least 2 years by some big name clinical people.

But I don't think it is career suicide to jump ship sooner for the perfect opportunity elsewhere.
 
if the job sucks dont stay for the sake of CV. staying at a job isnt what it was years ago.

these days people leave jobs with in 1 year. it isnt the same working world your parents and grandparents were in.

if you see a better job and get it, i say jump on it. life is all about right place at the right time.