How long to get licensed in TX, NC, FL or CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmeinwillya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about few different places for first job post-residency ... most likely as nocturnist on per-diem basis. Anyone has recently gone through licensing in NY, CA, NC or TX.. please share your timelines.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about few different places for first job post-residency ... most likely as nocturnist on per-diem basis. Anyone has recently gone through licensing in NY, CA, NC or TX.. please share your timelines.

Thanks!
Allot yourself 4-6 months ...they are all painful states to get licensed in.

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks!

It took me nearly 9 months to get my CA license.

I have read it can be quicker though. Could never get ahold of anyone to follow up on my status. Very painful process.

If you opt for the 2 year cycle, I believe they give the license close to your birth date which could have been a reason for my long wait though.

Reactions: 1 user
Allot yourself 4-6 months ...they are all painful states to get licensed in.
Oh well! These are the ones I'm considering for now. Thanks for your reply! May start with NC as the first state and then plan if I need to move to TX eventually .. too late to apply for anything that would take close to 6 months. 3-4 more palatable.

Stopped at FSMB application process and didn't proceed where it was asking for which state since I hadn't decided on the state.

It took me nearly 9 months to get my CA license.

I have read it can be quicker though. Could never get ahold of anyone to follow up on my status. Very painful process.

If you opt for the 2 year cycle, I believe they give the license close to your birth date which could have been a reason for my long wait though.
Thanks for your reply! 9 months!! that's long. CA may be last on the list for all its high COL!

For TX I just received my license early Feb. I started getting all the forms required by FCVS (which TX recommends using) September. That was complete and submitted in October. But then TX requires resubmission of some of the same stuff they get from FCVS plus you’ll need to take the TX jurisprudence exam and get fingerprinted.

You can take the jurisprudence exam anytime after you start the application process with TX; they’ll send you the permit almost immediately after you have registered with the system.

If you aren’t currently living in TX or traveling there for another reason, you have to get fingerprinted on the specific cards you have to request from them. If you’re already in TX then you schedule an appointment at one of the designated locations.

I had all that done in January and received provisional license about a week after they received the last document. The perm license was issued after the next board meeting which was a couple weeks.

The last part was a lot faster than I had hoped for. In general in my past experience in TN it took about 3 months after submitting all the required documents. The document submitting however can take a long time because most of it has to come directly from your medical school and training program. So you are dependent on them.

Thanks for your detailed reply! So looks like it approximately took 5 months for you from Sep. to Feb. In my case, med. school is overseas so that could cause potential delays.
For TX I just received my license early Feb. I started getting all the forms required by FCVS (which TX recommends using) September. That was complete and submitted in October. But then TX requires resubmission of some of the same stuff they get from FCVS plus you’ll need to take the TX jurisprudence exam and get fingerprinted.

You can take the jurisprudence exam anytime after you start the application process with TX; they’ll send you the permit almost immediately after you have registered with the system.

If you aren’t currently living in TX or traveling there for another reason, you have to get fingerprinted on the specific cards you have to request from them. If you’re already in TX then you schedule an appointment at one of the designated locations.

I had all that done in January and received provisional license about a week after they received the last document. The perm license was issued after the next board meeting which was a couple weeks.

The last part was a lot faster than I had hoped for. In general in my past experience in TN it took about 3 months after submitting all the required documents. The document submitting however can take a long time because most of it has to come directly from your medical school and training program. So you are dependent on them.

Might have a little change in plan..how long is it taking these days to get licensed in NY? And if one gets NY license first, does that help or hinder getting TX license in any way?

Also would love to hear experiences from others about how long it took and any tips for going through the process for various states (the ones in my thread title - TX, FL, NC, CA) and NY?

Might have a little change in plan..how long is it taking these days to get licensed in NY? And if one gets NY license first, does that help or hinder getting TX license in any way?

Also would love to hear experiences from others about how long it took and any tips for going through the process for various states (the ones in my thread title - TX, FL, NC, CA) and NY?

My cofellow has a NY license and said it took about 8 weeks after he submitted FCVS. He did the FCVS ahead of time though so you have tack on time for that, probably a couple months.

Like others have said, plan on 4-6 months for any state license, minimum.

Having a TN license didn’t change my application process for TX, so I don’t imagine having a NY license will change anything for it either.

Overseas school will definitely take more time. Many states have some strict rules about licensing for FMG/IMGs, so you need to look into the specific states.

Also is this all for after graduation this year? If so you need to get a move on. You’re cutting it pretty close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Having a TN license didn’t change my application process for TX, so I don’t imagine having a NY license will change anything for it either.

Every state that you get a license from has to verify said license every time you get an additional license. How annoying this process is varies from state to state. CA will verify their licenses pretty much instantly with an online form. IL you have (had?) to mail in a letter and a paper check and then won't verify their license for months. IL verification staff incompetence was the biggest holdup to my current license - I probably wouldn't have gotten it in time to be credentialed in my job if I hadn't kept calling random numbers till I got the secretary of the director in charge of the licensing board.

So it's possible a prior state license could be an issue, but it's more of a problem with that state, not the one you're applying at.

AMG, American Citizen.

2 months Cali License. My handler emailed me with anything they were missing. Pretty painless. I did go to Calif for fingerprinting during an interview ( that might have helped).

My cofellow has a NY license and said it took about 8 weeks after he submitted FCVS. He did the FCVS ahead of time though so you have tack on time for that, probably a couple months.

Like others have said, plan on 4-6 months for any state license, minimum.

Overseas school will definitely take more time. Many states have some strict rules about licensing for FMG/IMGs, so you need to look into the specific states.

Also is this all for after graduation this year? If so you need to get a move on. You’re cutting it pretty close.

My NY license took like 2 weeks. So I would say it varies

Every state that you get a license from has to verify said license every time you get an additional license. How annoying this process is varies from state to state. CA will verify their licenses pretty much instantly with an online form. IL you have (had?) to mail in a letter and a paper check and then won't verify their license for months. IL verification staff incompetence was the biggest holdup to my current license - I probably wouldn't have gotten it in time to be credentialed in my job if I hadn't kept calling random numbers till I got the secretary of the director in charge of the licensing board.

So it's possible a prior state license could be an issue, but it's more of a problem with that state, not the one you're applying at.

At least I think they have now moved to online form - before it was paper form. That was painful

Took my friend 2 weeks to get NY license. He did not use FCVS.

Thanks!

Each state did not take very long. If you are a non-foreign medical graduate, have no history of malpractice, and use FCVS, you can get licensed more quickly. FCVS costs extra, but it will save you time. TX requires you to take an exam, that of which, you must pass. Some of these states also require documents to be notarized and a criminal background check, but those can be scheduled quickly with a notary and fingerprinting office. Most states use online forms now, so that makes the process much faster!