how long to study for cs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long do i need to study for step 2 cs? i don't think i'm going to be able to take it until a couple months after i take step 2 ck. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I did was briefly skim First-Aid for Step 2 CS a couple of days before the exam. My school makes us take an OSCE in addition to the Shelf after almost every clerkship in 3rd year, as well as a large 8-10 station OSCE at the end of third year. If we don't pass, we can't move on to fourth year. As long as you've had experience with standardized patients and taking those types of exams, I wouldn't sweat it.

I would say as long as you need in order to be able to take a reasonable history in 5-7 minutes and a PE in 3-4 minutes. If you can do this now, you are set. If not, practice until you can. I think the time limit is what freaks most people out about this test.

We also had an OSCE at my school in July/August after 3rd year.

I didnt take my Step 2 CS until this past February. (And I hadnt really seen any patients on my own since September/October)

I barely studied at all -- No more than a combined 2 or 3 hours I would say, and that was only to read over the First Aid in order to know how the test day goes and to pick up some VERY quick pointers, paying the most attention to things that you ought to say to the patient. I had the same set of technique for all of them -- get most of my history, ask ROS as I washed my hand, VERY brief physical. Then I would tell them I'm going to summarize (which I would). Then the two magic phrases: 1) "Do you have any questions" and, 2) "I cannot yet tell you what the diagnosis is, but X, Y, and Z are likely possibilities and we will do A,B and C to try and help us figure out what is going on so that we can give you the best relief"

My plan had been to study the whole day before at the hotel, but as my flight got canceled and I had to catch a later flight, I didnt get to the hotel until 10 pm the night before, so I gave up on the thought of studying and went to sleep. (And I STILL literally would fall asleep during the write-up portions) :laugh:

The way I figure, I was bored, the SP's looked bored (minus 1 particular SP I thought was a bit flirty) and I bet you anything they dont remember half of what went on in teh session and so assume you did most things.

Still managed to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied for two weeks reading FA CS every day after rotations.
If you study from FA CS you are gonna be fine. dont worry.

I took this test about 1 month ago. Looked at FA 1 week prior to test, skimmed through the small vignettes. Then read through all the case scenarios 2 days prior, enjoyed my evening in Philadelphia and was fine. I think that first aid does a great job laying out the design of the course and what to expect, 4 years of Medical school will do the rest of the job...don't sweat it.

Spent two nights reading first aid. You don't need anything else if you are a US medical student. This exam does NOT test your knowledge.

:luck:
daisygirl said:
Spent two nights reading first aid. You don't need anything else if you are a US medical student. This exam does NOT test your knowledge.

Im a foreign medical grad and I spent 2 nights reading FA...I passed. Good luck to you!

daisygirl said:

What do you mean by that? Do you mean that the cases are basic/simple enough that it is really your interaction with patients that is important? I'm a US medical student, and I heard that the failure rate so far has been much higher than expected -- just curious. :)