How long to take off for maternity leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc92742

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am currently pregnant & due in the last month of my PGY1 year. Will be a first time mom. My program offers 12 weeks (6wks paid, 6 wks unpaid) of maternity leave. Since I've never had a baby before, I'd love to know how long of a leave do you all suggest? I'm in FM residency. I want to take enough time off to properly take care of my baby & slowly recover. But I'd also like to not be completely rusty & out of touch with medicine when I return... or be really bored at home & regret taking too much time off. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Luckily money is not currently an issue as we have saved up a little. I'm also trying to get my husband to take a month of paternity leave.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the whole 12 weeks, although you may want to make sure youre not totally out of sick leave for the year/residency.

Your partner taking as much paternity leave as possible is also an excellent idea.

Reactions: 4 users
Am currently pregnant & due in the last month of my PGY1 year. Will be a first time mom. My program offers 12 weeks (6wks paid, 6 wks unpaid) of maternity leave. Since I've never had a baby before, I'd love to know how long of a leave do you all suggest? I'm in FM residency. I want to take enough time off to properly take care of my baby & slowly recover. But I'd also like to not be completely rusty & out of touch with medicine when I return... or be really bored at home & regret taking too much time off. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Luckily money is not currently an issue as we have saved up a little. I'm also trying to get my husband to take a month of paternity leave.
I took 8 weeks off with my first and 6 weeks with my second. Both of them were born during my training. 8 weeks was better than 6.

Most recently I took 10 weeks off with my third baby. My husband also got paid paternity leave and he used 1 week right after the baby was born, and then the rest of it once I went back to work. That worked out really well for our family.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take as much time as you can. That initial post-part I’m period is really hard and you will never get that time back. If you can afford to take the time, do it. I had all 3 of my kids as an attending - but my 3rd was after my group established a truly family friendly parental leave policy. My husband is a SAHD so we depend on my income. First I took 8 weeks which was nice - but going back was still hard. Second I essentially started back after 4 weeks (different job) and that was awful. I know some people do it but I wish I had more time with my middle. My third I took 12 weeks paid maternity. Was amazing and I recommend as much time as you can afford.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take the whole time.
I’m currently on maternity leave, taking 20 weeks and less than that would make me sad, so I wouldn’t voluntarily take less than you’re allowed. This is going to be my only child and work will always be around so I wanted to take as much time off as possible. I’m almost 6 weeks in to my leave and so far the baby is pretty chill and I feel well mentally and physically so could certainly return to work if I absolutely had to from that standpoint, but this is time I’ll never get back and medicine isn’t going anywhere so I’m glad I’m taking as much time as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Plan to take as much time as you can. You don't know how well you'll do after delivery (you may have a tear or another complication and will require more recovery time).

I also had some trouble bonding with my daughter for the first few weeks (mostly due to stress from breastfeeding), and I spent the next 8-9 weeks trying to catch up.

3 months isn't enough time to get horribly rusty with clinical medicine, even as a junior resident.

Reactions: 5 users
12weeks is ideal dear friend, it is essential for you to recoup, get away with the post partum blues and feel good and bond with the baby.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the advice =)

Reactions: 1 user