Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How long????

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by KM86, Jul 27, 2006.

1. KM86

KM86 Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    prereqs are 2 years long? after that how long is the pharmacy school? how many years total is this whole thing? Some say 6 including the prereq some say 8? which one is it really?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    It depends on the requirements of the school since they all have their own prereqs. It's possible to do them in 2 years if you have a full schedule. I chose to get a bachelors degree, but it's not a requirement for most schools.

Pharmacy school is 4 years unless you go to a 3 year school where you attend school year round.

I already had an AA degree when I started, but I didn't have any of UF's prereqs done. I started these in 2000, got my BS in Biology in 2003, started UF COP in 2003 and will graduate in 2007. That's 7 years plus what schooling I had when I was younger.

4. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member

Pharmacist
    They say you canget your pre-reqs in 2 years, but that is very full-time. If you can do your pre-reqs in 2 then pharm school is only 4 more for a total of 6 years. Keep in mind that most of your pre-reqs have pre-reqs. So you might want to say 7. That is how long it is going to take me. Good Luck!

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think that now, with so many people pouring into pharmacy, they're going to phase out the 2 yrs pre-req program. At least that is what my school is doing. I know my school is already changing the 2 yrs pre-reqs to a minimum of 3 yrs for those applying in 2007. I think pharmacy schools would like to see more people to spend more time doing their pre-reqs and preferably get their B.S or B.A before applying.

However, if you still want to do the 2 yrs pre-reqs, I would suggest taking a lot of summer classes if you don't like to have 18+ credits during the regular semester. In fact, my old roommate took 12 hours in one summer before her sophomore year. It also helps if you can clep out and get a lot of credits BEFORE you start college. As others have mentioned, the shortest time you can get your pharmD is 6 yrs but many people take much longer than that.

6. Chakshu

Chakshu Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am a Canadian applicant entering 3rd year of undergraduate degree. I am interested in applying to the States but I am thinking I am better off finishing a Bachelor's degree first since I will at least do 3 years before entering. I am interested in getting into 3 year acc. program. Is 7 years too long for the US standards? In Canada, you need 1 year minimum, so you can get BSc pharm in 5 years, but most people I think so 6 years. Thank you for your responses.

7. farmskool

farmskool Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I know that UMKC actually is a 5yr program. To get in they only require 32hrs of prereqs, 1 letter of rec, and the PCAT. So i guess this would be around 6yrs total as well. The thing that I liked about their program is the fact you are already "in" pharmacy school when you take your orgo's and anatomy, as they are not required before being admitted. This relieves some of the pressure to get A's and actually allows yourself to learn the stuff and not worry to much about the grades. Atleast IMO.