How many applicants this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many applicants do you think there will be this year? I submitted my app to AASDAS at the end of August and I'm in the low 4000's. It seems like there will be a lot more this year, as the lag time is pretty big between submission and the date the apps are sent to schools. I'm guessing the processing at the schools is going run slower too. Plus they have to process more secondaries. I thought I applied kind of late, but by my number and the trend this year it looks like I'm probably in the middle! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

A suggestion for people who is going to reply this question:

Just state the date of your AADSAS submission, and the number, but leave the last number blank or with a star:

For instance:
I applied at the end of August, my number is 420_ (or 420*).

(That is a make up number. I am fortunate enough to apply early in June, so I should not answer this thread, otherwise some people would be mad at me. I just want to give a suggestion to the thread. Thanks!)

LOL,
I have seen numbers around 5400 ish or so on through forum.

My number is very low. I am one of the first 20 to apply. So I am not sure, but if I had to guess this is going to one of the most competative cycles.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Dark... From what I have heard on my latest interview, this year is shaping up to be one of the more competitive ones. Ohh FUN!

When I spoke with AADSAS several weeks ago, I was told that they are expecting 10,000 applicants this year!

I submitted Aug.15 and I am #38**

favabean said:
When I spoke with AADSAS several weeks ago, I was told that they are expecting 10,000 applicants this year!

Wow....At all of the interviews I have been at the adcoms have commented on the unusual number of applications flooding their desks.

man that's just great..the year i decide to apply has to be the one with the most applicants ever..i better start thinking of alternatives to dental school! what a bummer

Submitted 9/8/04
#52**

MitchSE-R said:
man that's just great..the year i decide to apply has to be the one with the most applicants ever..i better start thinking of alternatives to dental school! what a bummer

Why settle for alternatives Mitch? Keep trying! :luck:

at Temple, we are expecting around 2800 applications....about 500 more than last year...

DMD_hopeful said:
I agree with Dark... From what I have heard on my latest interview, this year is shaping up to be one of the more competitive ones. Ohh FUN!

but doesn't it seem normal for each successive year to be more and more competitive?

fruity_trident said:
but doesn't it seem normal for each successive year to be more and more competitive?

Yes that's true.. But I was referring to the fact that in addition to it being more competitive, like it has been getting, there are an unusually large number of applicants this year, which is adding to the competition.

I think much of it has to do with the economy and people wanting to work in a more stable field. At my school, for instance, the size of the pre-dent/med classes have more than doubled in size during the last 2 years.

ive heard there is a very long delay with aadsas apps as they moved offices recently. Schools may have gone a few weeks without any new apps and now are back logged (according to UFs people).

i guess i am the last person to have applied or something my number is #54** and i submitted my apps on sept 13... 5 days 200 people difference?#$%$ wow

anyways aadsas told me they are sending my application out next week (oct 25) i assume about 2-3 week review time. so i probably won't hear back from school till end of november. there goes that december 1st :)

i am getting more nervous by the day

This numbers are ridiculously high. It can't keep going up every year. It will either stabilize to some high number or it will pop like a bubble. I hope it goes down for next year.

blankguy said:
This numbers are ridiculously high. It can't keep going up every year. It will either stabilize to some high number or it will pop like a bubble. I hope it goes down for next year.

Yeah, I hope it pops hardcore.

of those 5,000+ applicants and you mean to tell me they all love dentistry, are willing to put a long 4 years in dental school.

When will the computer fields pick up again and engineering. When those fields pick up, i imagine the number of dental applications go down.

hockeydentist said:
When will the computer fields pick up again and engineering. When those fields pick up, i imagine the number of dental applications go down.

Do not expect this to happen anytime soon...especially with the computer field. It is a Very saturated market with poor job prospect.

Unemployment is near record lows and jobs are a plenty, so I find it strange that dentistry is getting so many applicants. About the only things I can think of that contribute to the rise in applicants is: Prestige is up slightly (we are not hated as much), the work is flexible (somewhat but way more than other jobs), and the pay is beyond good.

hockeydentist said:
of those 5,000+ applicants and you mean to tell me they all love dentistry, are willing to put a long 4 years in dental school.

I think you're mistaken. My major was Computer Technology Network Engineering and I know a thing or two about the IT field.

As far as it picking up again, it probably won't happen with the outsourcing that is taking place. You can pay Indians and Chinese about 1/3 of what you're paying in the U.S for the same product. I'd say there will be job openings probably when some of the older guys retire, but there is no way in hell that they will be able to live the lifestyle of the late 90's where you got a job for knowing how to use a mouse.

Also in the 90's so many companies got hoodwinked into buying all this software and networking gear that they really didn't need so as a result they hired more people too. But at that point it didn't matter because the computer boom was almost like a madness going around. During those buildouts they needed people working on projects but once the 2000's hit they had all these guys just sitting around because frankly you don't need that many people to run an IT infrastructure once it is already built. The other mess in this is that Microsoft and Cisco are still going around telling people that there is a shortage still in qualified people and all this other crap.

Not to mention dentistry has so many perks above and beyond working in the business sector that anyone would be a fool not to do it.

Although the outsourcing is overwhelming, I do see a positive trend in the telecomunication field. Yet, I'm going to switch to dentistry regardless. It's not that I'm afraid of losing my job, it's what dentistry will offer me.