How Many Auditions to Apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1911OMS2

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a Midwest third year D.O. student with good stats for EM (~240/600). I have no away rotations secured yet. I have applied to numerous reasonable places on paper and through VSAS for July and August but have not heard from any programs. Should I continue to apply for rotations broadly until I secure spots? Any advice on where I should focus my attention going forward is appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to and go to as many auditions as your time and resources will allow. If you can secure 3 aways and end up with 3 good sloes, your in good shape. 2 is not bad either. But do more if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My impression is that programs don't notify students until later in April or May...or at least until after match week. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I am a Midwest third year D.O. student with good stats for EM (~240/600). I have no away rotations secured yet. I have applied to numerous reasonable places on paper and through VSAS for July and August but have not heard from any programs. Should I continue to apply for rotations broadly until I secure spots? Any advice on where I should focus my attention going forward is appreciated. Thank you

I've read from several that they didn't get interviews at places they declined offers for away rotations. My initial plan was just to apply to a ton to make sure I was able to secure 2-3, but after hearing this I decided against doing that. So just be careful when applying broadly! Best of luck!

You can apply directly on many of the DO program sites. Save money and it's normally a quick reply!

Wow this stuff sucks for you guys. 4 years ago, I called up one place. No VSAS. They said what do you want to come? I told them when. They said OK. Did one away.

Times are changing...

Yeah not everyone uses VSAS. We don't. I hate the idea of application fees. Our rotation also provides near free housing for the month and gives a food budget to students. We try and be as cheap and accommodating as we can for students, because the 4th year can get expensive and being nice to students is how you get them back as residents!

Pretty sure we still have openings, though our spots for rotation are filling up. Feel free to PM me if you want to know further details.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah not everyone uses VSAS. We don't. I hate the idea of application fees. Our rotation also provides near free housing for the month and gives a food budget to students. We try and be as cheap and accommodating as we can for students, because the 4th year can get expensive and being nice to students is how you get them back as residents!

Pretty sure we still have openings, though our spots for rotation are filling up. Feel free to PM me if you want to know further details.

Get ready for the avalanche of PMs.

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to throw this out there to everyone getting ready to plan their auditions. I just shadowed a doc in a new ED today even though I already matched (because it still never hurts to capitalize on a little networking). Just remember that the nurses and docs in any given ED are a tight knit group, and you're a stranger walking into their house. That being said, you'd be surprised how far a box of munchkins go when you're walking into a new ED for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

See ya in the Fall ;)

Reactions: 1 user