How many books do you carry to class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been buying my first year books and have two stacks of books that are a foot high. I'm looking at laptop/attache bags and I'm trying to figure out what size bag I should get. So how many books do we really need to carry around? I'm sure the gross anatomy atlas' are necessary in lab, but besides that I don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

mochafreak said:
I've been buying my first year books and have two stacks of books that are a foot high. I'm looking at laptop/attache bags and I'm trying to figure out what size bag I should get. So how many books do we really need to carry around? I'm sure the gross anatomy atlas' are necessary in lab, but besides that I don't know.

already buying books eh!

school started at creighton???

Orientation starts Aug 21st and classes start the 24th. I got the booklist a week ago. I like to buy them used...

Members don't see this ad :)
I only carry like 1 book, but usually around 3 folders/notebooks.

Biogirl361 said:
I only carry like 1 book, but usually around 3 folders/notebooks.

Same here. I also live really close to school, so if I forget something it isn't a big deal for me to dash home and retrieve it.

All i need to focus on is at least carrying myself to the school.
If i do, by mistake, carry a book or two to school, it'll be a bonus.

It's nice to have all my books (125 or so...) on the laptop - not to mention the search capabilities. :thumbup:

drengineer said:
All i need to focus on is at least carrying myself to the school.
If i do, by mistake, carry a book or two to school, it'll be a bonus.

Yeah, me too. We'll see if d-school can turn me into a morning person. HS didn't do it, my engineering career didn't do it...

ElDienteLoco said:
It's nice to have all my books (125 or so...) on the laptop - not to mention the search capabilities. :thumbup:

Yeah, digital books would be nice. Especially with my tablet pc. ;)

Oh yes, Vital source is sweeeeeet. but before I got it, I only carried (during my first year) concise dental anatomy--its small, and the anatomy dissector. everything else I left at home and studied it there.

I didn't carry any books to class, and if I needed to look something up I found somebody in my class and borrowed the book.

hd :D

Reconabe said:
Oh yes, Vital source is sweeeeeet. but before I got it, I only carried (during my first year) concise dental anatomy--its small, and the anatomy dissector. everything else I left at home and studied it there.

Just curious to those of you have no actual texts and have your books on your required laptops, do you like that and find it easy to use or would you rather the actual text?

I think at Nova we have all our books on laptop, definitely a plus.

dexadental said:
I think at Nova we have all our books on laptop, definitely a plus.
Ya but they still cost just as much! $1,500 for a couple CD's? Someone is pulling in some serious loot!

Dutchboy said:
Ya but they still cost just as much! $1,500 for a couple CD's? Someone is pulling in some serious loot!
considering the cost of burning a cd... I doubt thats the case, i am sure the school had to pay a hefty sum to license the software for multiple users.
again what I do I know..

You have to buy the software. You have no choice at Nova. In fact, they've already been charged to our accounts.

Tominator said:
ask some upperclassmen to "borrow" their cds for about 3 hours to give them a "test-drive"

Excellent idea...

Vitalsource (textbooks on the computer) is an interesting subject. I love them. I hate paying for them. ($1500 would be nice - I think we pay more than $3000 per year...) I worry about what will happen to all my notes/highlights when a new edition of the book comes along and the old edition "disappears"...

A lot of people who initially are skittish about the idea of digital textbooks soon find that most of what you learn at school comes from sources other than reading textbooks. Most of our material, for example, comes almost exclusively from professors' power point slides. Most of the time, the textbook is just for reference which works out really well to have in a searchable format.

The search capabilities are awesome. You can quickly review all your notes and you can highlight different things (like exam, important, etc.)

IMO, Vitalsource is an incredible luxury. If I had the choice of buying hard copies or Vital Source, I would pick up the real books and save myself the $8,000 over the course of school, but since I don't have a choice, the lap of luxury isn't all that bad.

ElDienteLoco said:
Vitalsource (textbooks on the computer) is an interesting subject. I love them. I hate paying for them. ($1500 would be nice - I think we pay more than $3000 per year...) I worry about what will happen to all my notes/highlights when a new edition of the book comes along and the old edition "disappears"...

A lot of people who initially are skittish about the idea of digital textbooks soon find that most of what you learn at school comes from sources other than reading textbooks. Most of our material, for example, comes almost exclusively from professors' power point slides. Most of the time, the textbook is just for reference which works out really well to have in a searchable format.

The search capabilities are awesome. You can quickly review all your notes and you can highlight different things (like exam, important, etc.)

IMO, Vitalsource is an incredible luxury. If I had the choice of buying hard copies or Vital Source, I would pick up the real books and save myself the $8,000 over the course of school, but since I don't have a choice, the lap of luxury isn't all that bad.

FYI - as an update on Vitalsource: I graduated 2 years ago and realized earlier this month at the start of my residency that I wanted access to all those friggin books I paid for through VitalSource during dental school. After a few phone calls, they called me back and fixed their records/system so I could start downloading my books over the web. Whatever "licensing code" they had given at graduation on a tiny laminated card didn't work so hence I had to call them. Since I graduated, they changed from "Vital Source Key" to "Vital Source Bookshelf" as the program used to read the books. I probably lost any highlights I had since I have switched to a new computer. It is a bit annoying because I have to download each book one at a time and it looks like I can't currently access the non-textbook material such as the class notes & school manuals (this means more phone calls when I get a chance). But I was given access to the versions of the books that I graduated with, so if there is a newer version of something out, I can't access that. Something seems like it is better than nothing in this case.

mochafreak said:

NONE.
just my laptop is enough here at iu. i bought all the books 1st year. a couple 2nd year and not planning on buying anymore.