How many breaks should you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

italian831

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how there how many hours or when people give themselves breaks...do you give yourself a whole day? a couple hours? etc? ...i study about 8-9 hrs a day ..so just wondering...

except today because of the world cup! VIVA ITALIA! :D

Members don't see this ad.

italian831 said:
Just wondering how there how many hours or when people give themselves breaks...do you give yourself a whole day? a couple hours? etc? ...i study about 8-9 hrs a day ..so just wondering...

except today because of the world cup! VIVA ITALIA! :D

I'd mix it up a bit. Sometimes you just need a day break. As long as you are refreshed and ready to go when you have to study again it's fine to take a day off. I usually take short breaks every once in a while too.

I do my 2.5 Hour TPR class then go home and do nothing till after dinner and study for an hour until Jeopardy and study an hour or two after that. Lots of breaks to watch TV/read forums since I get bored very easily. I'll can't imagine studying 8-9 hours a day for more than a day.

MahSpoon said:
I do my 2.5 Hour TPR class then go home and do nothing till after dinner and study for an hour until Jeopardy and study an hour or two after that. Lots of breaks to watch TV/read forums since I get bored very easily. I'll can't imagine studying 8-9 hours a day for more than a day.

Going 8 hr/day for the entire week can hinder my studying so I usually give myself breaks on saturdays nights, go out etc. And that's about it. Friday evenings too are not productive, just can't study on friday or saturday evenings.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. 2.5 HR TPR Class
2. 1.5 hrs at the gym
3. Study from 2 pm to 10 or 11 pm
4. Haven't studied a single Friday yet
5. Weekends = 1 pm - 10 pm or so

I"m still kind of behind, EK Verbal is taking up a lot of time; I'm still not getting the marks I want, esp PS and somewhat VR.

I've been aiming for 6-8 hours/day of recalling info. I've been sitting with my white board and writing everything I can remember about a topic. Then referencing it with my TPR review books.I already took the test once and did average. So, "learning" the concepts seems to be the obvious step. I've been staying at home instead of hibernating at the library. I can take a break on SDN this way. :laugh:

I usually study between 4-6 hours a day (with one day off, or almost off a week) but I only study in 1 1/2 hr increments with a 15-20 minute break in between. If I try to study 4 hours straight I stop paying attention after 2 hours and start day dreaming. I set my 1 1/2 block as goals and then reward myself for them. Ie I will study from 2-3:30 and then check SDN for 20 minutes etc.

-I wake up at around 1030 or so.
-A few days a week I try to get on my road bike and ride for a few hours
I start studying from about 1230 - 700 with about two one-hour breaks mixed in between those times for sporadic meals/relaxation/watching baseball times.
-TPR class 700-930
-Eat dinner and talk to my girlfriend for a little over an hour (she's studying in China for 2 months :( ).
-Start studying at 1130 or so until 3:30AM.

I give myself a break on one of the weekend evenings to socialize and give myself a full day off on Sundays (usually about an hour to review stuff during idle times). I haven't burned out yet.

Staying in shape is a huge concern, and if you know people who do road races, we like to stay in shape. I usually take a 45 min walk if I can't get on the bike on any given day.

Hopefully with this much studying I won't have to torture myself next year by having to retake this test! I haven't burned out yet, and I've been on this schedule since early June.

I study for about 4 hours a day during weekdays and 8 hours on weekends. I have realized my optimal concentration lasts for 3-4 hours. It takes me about 3-4 hours to cover one lecture in examkrakers books. I take an hour break on weekends. I also feel I study the best between 9am to 6pm.

I think what really helps me is sticking to the same schedule and always studying at the same location. I study at a local library infact on the same desk every day.