Quantcast

How many cases are you doing per month????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panetrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you full time private practice people out there doing 100% your own cases, how many cases are you doing in a month? I have heard the national average is around 80 cases? I have no evidence or literature to substantiate this number. Right now, my partners and I are doing roughly 120 cases/Month/each (not including epidurals).:thumbup::thumbup: If your including epidurals as cases please note as such in your answer. Thank you.

Last edited:

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only average about 60/month but I am below the norm for our group. I give away a lot of call. On mission trips though, I can do more than 50 cases in 4 days. Of course I pay for that privilege. You CAN have an above average life with below average pay.

Last edited:

panetrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you full time private practice people out there doing 100% your own cases, how many cases are you doing in a month? I have heard the national average is around 80 cases? I have no evidence or literature to substantiate this number. Right now, my partners and I are doing roughly 120 cases/Month/each (not including epidurals).:thumbup::thumbup: If your including epidurals as cases please note as such in your answer. Thank you.

Another factor to note is that all of my cases are performed in a hospital OR setting, no surgery centers. This may reduce the total number of monthly cases compared to surgery center practitioners????:confused:

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about touchy-feely stuff like happiness and blueberries.

Except blueberries are expensive this time of year, so I don't know.

Yes, happiness. And I can still afford blueberries, even the $5/pint organic ones at Whole Foods.

Coastie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency runs from 0 (sicu) to 100+ on peds. What kind of residency numbers did you guys pull? I'm talkin GA or MAC.

panetrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't do my own cases. I work with CRNAs. Just doing some math, I'd say they average about 80 a month each.

120 sounds very high, unless you do a lot of oupatient or peds. How many hours do you work a week? Do you get paid based on the number of cases you do?

We do about 50% outpatient, 50% inpatient. Less than 5% peds. Getting it all done in about 52 hours/week.

sbmed100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I belong to 100% MD group. I do all my own cases. Anywhere from 2 cases a day(if doing robotic prostate or joint revision) to 9 a day if doing knee scopes or endos. Overall average 120 a month if you include late days and one or two weekend days a month.

Powerfade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably more useful to compare unit totals. In my practice, medium sized group, level 2 trauma center, full timers do 700-1100 units/month depending on how hard they want to work.