1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How many classes at a time is too much?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by coffee610, Feb 26, 2007.

1. coffee610

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
  2. chopper

chopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like most things, it depends . . . .

What is your math background? If you have really strong math abilities, you might be able to take more classes. But if not, you can get behind early.

What else are you doing? Work? Family? Active social life? If you can dedicate to JUST studying, it is more likely that you will be able to take more classes. And do well.

The bottom line is that you are taking a risk by taking more classes. Doing bad on them as a post bacc can look real bad. So better to spread them out and do well. But, then it takes longer. You need to answer for yourself.

I took all 4 pre-reqs at the same time, but all the stars seemed to align for me that year. I have a very strong math background (EE undergrad), and I had taken Physics and GenChem before (15 years prior). And, no family at the time. And I made myself a social outcast for that year and went out rarely.

Good luck

3. Lshapley

Lshapley Old Man Med Student
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I am in the middle of my second semester and I decided to take only two courses the first term in order to test the waters. I was also working at the time. After that went well, I cut down my work hours significantly (only go in once a week if that) and have three classes plus an MCAT prep course. Taking that first semester at a lighter load was good for me. Another factor to consider is if your courses have lab components or not. Mine did not, so that made it easier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lshapley

Lshapley Old Man Med Student
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Oh yeah, and I am in the middle of doing the social outcast thing. Saturday night is a great time to study!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Maxprime

Maxprime Higgs chaser
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on:

1) What you need - if you have a bad GPA, be cautious b/c you can't afford B's.

2) Your background (stated above)

3) What else you're doing - volunteering, working, etc.

4) Which classes they are - pre-reqs are much more time-intensive than most non-science courses.

5) When you're taking the MCAT - try to take it easy & concentrate your efforts on the MCAT that semester.

I just dropped from 4-->3, I volunteer 12 hours a week, and am studying for the MCAT. I couldn't see it being possible to take 4 classes and do all that - even with 3 + MCAT you have to cut corners on occasion.

Most advisors will tell you to start slow - it just sucks b/c most classes are in sequence.

6. maximus07

maximus07 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Took 4 upper level sciences (not pre-req w/ labs) last semester and ended with a 3.8. Taking 3 this semester and doing well. I don't work, volunteer (although i'm looking for a position this semester), or decide on taking the MCAT. It really depends on what classes you're taking (pre-req or upper level), if you're working, and what you do with your time outside of class.