how many classes in ONE summer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx27563

Hopefully 08'
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i havent done summer school before and i was wondering how many 4 hour classes you can take at one time? our school splits it up into summer I and summer II. i plan on retaking general chem's that i made C's in freshman year and maybe other sciences as well..my school told me i had to have 6 hours to be considered fulltime.

dustin

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken up to 22 credit hours (5 courses). But I take about the same amount every quarter. Last summer I took Organic Chem III +Organic Chem Lab III + Sociology + Classical Mythology. The Organic Chem class was a 5-week course that we met 5 days a week from 9:30-2:30. Wheww...I never want to relive that part of my life. I've never studied so hard for a B. For us, 12 credit hours is considered full time. 6 is part-time.

I've taken up to 22 credit hours (5 courses). But I take about the same amount every quarter. Last summer I took Organic Chem III +Organic Chem Lab III + Sociology + Classical Mythology. The Organic Chem class was a 5-week course that we met 5 days a week from 9:30-2:30. Wheww...I never want to relive that part of my life. I've never studied so hard for a B. For us, 12 credit hours is considered full time. 6 is part-time.

Wow so it is hell? I got accepted to a schools and they want me to retake physics. They want me to take the calculus based. 8 credits this summer before I can enroll. I've never taken summer classes. IS it that hard?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, summer is just like a regular quarter. It's just that I took a lot of courses in the summer and because the O-Chem course was condensed into a 5-week course for my school. That's why it was hard. Imagine taking O-chem + Lab and other GECs in 5 weeks...and my GPA for that quarter was good too!! lol..hmm.. I should have included that in my personal statement as to how I can handle the rigors program of pharmacy. Oh well...

No, summer is just like a regular quarter. It's just that I took a lot of courses in the summer and because the O-Chem course was condensed into a 5-week course for my school. That's why it was hard. Imagine taking O-chem + Lab and other GECs in 5 weeks...and my GPA for that quarter was good too!! lol..hmm.. I should have included that in my personal statement as to how I can handle the rigors program of pharmacy. Oh well...

lol ok. i'm taking only physics 1 the first session and physics 2 the second session. so i guess i will be good

you should be fine with physics 1 and 2. at my school, summer classes are typically considered EASIER. (at least I've been told that by several people). my organic professor actually recommended retaking org 1 this summer and said that summer classes are easier.

I've taken 4 classes:
Summer I: physics I, calculus
Summer II: speech, sociology

It was not that bad. I actually prefer taking classes in the summer because everything is still fresh in my mind on test day. For example, in physics we would have 1 test per week (every friday) for 5 weeks. So I only have to remember the past 4 days for the test as compared to maybe the past 1.5 months in a regular semester.

I plan on enrolling this summer for sessions I and II for Orgo I and II (both with labs), microbiology w/ lab, and either biochemistry or human anatomy. I want to take Orgo I w/ lab and micro w/ lab in session I and orgo II and biochem or human anatomy in session II. Do you think I will be killing myself? Thanks.
-FaB

FaBpHaRm2Be, wow 4 sciences in the summer is very ambitious. You might be killing yourself, but then again some people can handle that kind of load. I would recommend taking at least 1 science class for each summer session and maybe adding two "easy" electives. That isn't that bad. You'd have to assess yourself if you can handle 2 science classes for each session though. Remember to really try for A's instead of getting B's/C's.

Do you have to complete all of these courses in the summer because you will start pharmacy school in the fall? If the answer is no, then don't do it. There is no point in doing that because you might lower your GPA and stress yourself out for no reason.

FaBpHaRm2Be, wow 4 sciences in the summer is very ambitious. You might be killing yourself, but then again some people can handle that kind of load. I would recommend taking at least 1 science class for each summer session and maybe adding two "easy" electives. That isn't that bad. You'd have to assess yourself if you can handle 2 science classes for each session though. Remember to really try for A's instead of getting B's/C's.

Hey SCCpharm. Thanks for your reply. I figured taking those all those classes would be a death sentence. I really want to get them over with during the summer though so I can work full-time for a year before leaving for pharmacy school, assuming I get admitted for Fall 2008. I will be graduating this May, so all my electives are pretty much done, but since I am not a science major, I have to finish them all (orgo, physics, etc). I was considering just taking Org I and II and Micro over the summer and deal with physics I and II, along with the human anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry during the 2007-2008 school year!!!:eek: I have no idea how I am going to do this, but thanks for putting things in perspective for me!!!

Do you have to complete all of these courses in the summer because you will start pharmacy school in the fall? If the answer is no, then don't do it. There is no point in doing that because you might lower your GPA and stress yourself out for no reason.

Hey, KellyBean. Nah, I will be applying for Fall 2008 admission, but I wanted to get these prereqs out of the way so I can get a full-time job for a year, but I guess that is not going to be possible. You are right; there is no need for unnecessary stress. Thanks for the suggestion!!!:)