How many clinical pathology only programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHCF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many residency programs are CP only?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is one out in California somewhere?

Most places can run a CP only track, or AP only for that matter...
But they prefer AP/CP combined...
Try pathologytraining.org

You can be a CP-only resident at a lot of programs, even if it isn't advertised. It is usually only going to be productive at a big name place with lots of research support, however. In general, a CP only resident is kind of excess space, because CP services can run for the most part without residents (except perhaps Hemepath when it is part of CP). So if they are going to pay residents to work, they are going to want you to do work. Bigger programs can afford it, and take the tradeoff because CP only residents have about 2 hours of service work per week (being somewhat facetious here) and thus can do research. Then they are hired as assistant professors by departments (since they will often bring in their own money, and the department doesn't even really have to find anything for them to do, just give them lab space) and the program can brag that they are training academics. Thus, if you are a future academic, getting a CP-only spot is often quite easy.

Standard disclaimer: CP-only is bad unless you have a specific career in mind involving industry or academics with a heavy research component.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of working for a pharma company like Merck. Maybe I would be better off getting a PhD.