How many courses for GPA to show upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriosityKillsMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently graduating in the fall and getting a job as a research technician as soon as I graduate. I don't have a spectacular GPA due to several different reasons so I'm hoping to take around 3 night courses after graduation before I apply to medical school to show an upward trend. If I ace my courses this semester (taking 6 courses right now), including the 3 night classes that will be a year's worth of upward trend A's. Is this enough? MCAT is pretty decent, my percentiles have been in the 90's.

Members don't see this ad.

How low is your non-spectacular gpa? There's a big difference between getting an upwards trend with a 1.5 and a 3.

How low is your non-spectacular gpa? There's a big difference between getting an upwards trend with a 1.5 and a 3.
As of now, 3.4 range, assuming this semester is all A's then mid 3.5.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That ain't half bad. For DO, you can feel pretty good about your application around ~3.5 and you do have a good shot at MD at ~3.7. Don't worry on the numbers so much, just put the work in and you should be alright.

That ain't half bad. For DO, you can feel pretty good about your application around ~3.5 and you do have a good shot at MD at ~3.7. Don't worry on the numbers so much, just put the work in and you should be alright.
Thanks but thats not my question. I'm saying how many courses do I need for next semester after graduation to show an upward trend for the total of a year? Currently taking 6 classes now, and hoping to take 3 next semester. Even if I get all A's next semester, thats only 9 credits worth of work which can be seen as "taking it easy." Do I need more?

Thanks but thats not my question. I'm saying how many courses do I need for next semester after graduation to show an upward trend for the total of a year? Currently taking 6 classes now, and hoping to take 3 next semester. Even if I get all A's next semester, thats only 9 credits worth of work which can be seen as "taking it easy." Do I need more?

Your question is irrelevant as I don't know what school you attend. Some schools have 3 credit courses and others have 5 credits or units. You are the best judge of how much you can handle. My guess would be that a 4 class workload seems plenty fine.

Edit: no adcom is going to bust you for taking an easy courseload if you're getting 4.0s unless it's less than 3 classes.