CuriosityKillsMe

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
I'm currently graduating in the fall and getting a job as a research technician as soon as I graduate. I don't have a spectacular GPA due to several different reasons so I'm hoping to take around 3 night courses after graduation before I apply to medical school to show an upward trend. If I ace my courses this semester (taking 6 courses right now), including the 3 night classes that will be a year's worth of upward trend A's. Is this enough? MCAT is pretty decent, my percentiles have been in the 90's.

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
How low is your non-spectacular gpa? There's a big difference between getting an upwards trend with a 1.5 and a 3.

About the Ads

chinesedude

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
That ain't half bad. For DO, you can feel pretty good about your application around ~3.5 and you do have a good shot at MD at ~3.7. Don't worry on the numbers so much, just put the work in and you should be alright.

OP
C

CuriosityKillsMe

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
That ain't half bad. For DO, you can feel pretty good about your application around ~3.5 and you do have a good shot at MD at ~3.7. Don't worry on the numbers so much, just put the work in and you should be alright.
Thanks but thats not my question. I'm saying how many courses do I need for next semester after graduation to show an upward trend for the total of a year? Currently taking 6 classes now, and hoping to take 3 next semester. Even if I get all A's next semester, thats only 9 credits worth of work which can be seen as "taking it easy." Do I need more?

chinesedude

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks but thats not my question. I'm saying how many courses do I need for next semester after graduation to show an upward trend for the total of a year? Currently taking 6 classes now, and hoping to take 3 next semester. Even if I get all A's next semester, thats only 9 credits worth of work which can be seen as "taking it easy." Do I need more?
Your question is irrelevant as I don't know what school you attend. Some schools have 3 credit courses and others have 5 credits or units. You are the best judge of how much you can handle. My guess would be that a 4 class workload seems plenty fine.

Edit: no adcom is going to bust you for taking an easy courseload if you're getting 4.0s unless it's less than 3 classes.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Give a semester by semester grade trend with science / non science / cumulative

About the Ads