How many days between Step and COMLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads about this general question, but I'm also looking for input on what to do during those days in between.

I have Step 1 scheduled for a Friday, and am wondering whether I should take COMLEX the following Tuesday or Wednesday (I scheduled Wednesday for now). My plan is to take Saturday after Step 100% off. With my current test date on Wednesday, that gives me 3 full days after my break. I'd likely only study 1/2 a day the day before I test, so that gives me 2.5 study days. I've been going through the TurnUp2OMT deck, which I will be done with long before dedicated. I don't consider myself particularly strong in OMM but I'm not terrible at it either. The only things I was thinking of doing to study for COMLEX during those days are flipping through the green book a bit, and maybe watching some videos on viscerosomatics and other high yield topics. I may flip through my TurnUp2OMT reviews too, or do some OMM specific questions from COMBANK (conflicted on whether I will save this for in between Step and COMLEX, or whether I'll just do a handful of questions a day during dedicated).

Anyways, I'm concerned because I've read that a lot of people say they felt super burned out by the time they got to COMLEX. I'm not gunning for a competitive speciality so I don't really care how well I do, although it would be nice to pass the 550 threshold that some programs have as a cutoff. Do you guys think that taking it on Tuesday, with 1.5 study days in between, or Wednesday, with 2.5, is better? I know it's a minute difference and perhaps a silly question. Also, is there anything else anyone recommends doing to prep in between?

Members don't see this ad.

Do Wednesday. Read Sevarese.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Wednesday. Especially if you’ve been doing TurnUp. You might even be able to take Sunday off too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Either day is fine. Might as well leave it Wed. 2 days between is too little and 6-7 days is too much. You're at a good place with 4-5.

Thanks guys! I'll keep Wednesday and hope I don't get too burned out in between ha. I seriously hate studying OMM :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
At least we’ll never have to touch OMM ever again after June. Wow that feels amazing to say. The tax for my trash mcat is finally paid off
You need to know omm for the PE...

• Sad
Anyways, I'm concerned because I've read that a lot of people say they felt super burned out by the time they got to COMLEX.

Utilizing the green book with OMM classes then youll be able to do 2x this videos with zero problems. If you have a chance please utilize the OME videos (OMM portion). Really help visualize the dysfunction, and how you should treat conceptually. Personally I felt it really helped with some of the weird style OMM questions.

Turn up to OMT is great. Only other suggestion is a very quick skim Ch 8 of robbins (or whichever one for your bugs) was really helpful. Level 1 has a myriad of bugs that i had never heard of that sketchy didn't touch. If you're burnt out don't even try it.

Yeah you will be burned out but you will be able to see the finish line.

Utilizing the green book with OMM classes then youll be able to do 2x this videos with zero problems. If you have a chance please utilize the OME videos (OMM portion). Really help visualize the dysfunction, and how you should treat conceptually. Personally I felt it really helped with some of the weird style OMM questions.

Turn up to OMT is great. Only other suggestion is a very quick skim Ch 8 of robbins (or whichever one for your bugs) was really helpful. Level 1 has a myriad of bugs that i had never heard of that sketchy didn't touch. If you're burnt out don't even try it.

Yeah you will be burned out but you will be able to see the finish line.
Thank you for this! I've heard the OME videos are good, I'll definitely give them a look. Also, thanks for the feedback about the bugs..I'll definitely make time to do that when I need a break from OMM haha.

You need to know omm for the PE...
Exactly. Everyone is very short sighted on here...you have to know it all the way through licensing exams. May as well learn the basics now enough and not worry about it later on as much. It isnt THAT complex...

Honestly? Take it Tuesday. Saturday you should relax and let your brain rest. After about 3 hours of studying OMM on sunday you'll realize KCU actually prepared you pretty well for OMM and you'll stop studying. Monday you'll be bored af wishing you could just get COMLEX over with. The OMM questions on COMLEX were a joke compared to OS exams. You could even spend an hour a week during dedicated preparing for OMM and be fine.

Took Step 1 on a Tuesday and Level 1 on Friday. Took Wednesday mostly off and made it half way thru a pdf summary of Savarese on Thursday before I was just done. Whatever OMT knowledge you gain in the few days between the exams will likely be offset by atrophy of real medical knowledge. I think taking a week between exams is crazy-- once you are near the end of dedicated you will just want it all over with. But, I also think that all the people starting UWORLD before dedicated are crazy too...

Honestly? Take it Tuesday. Saturday you should relax and let your brain rest. After about 3 hours of studying OMM on sunday you'll realize KCU actually prepared you pretty well for OMM and you'll stop studying. Monday you'll be bored af wishing you could just get COMLEX over with. The OMM questions on COMLEX were a joke compared to OS exams. You could even spend an hour a week during dedicated preparing for OMM and be fine.

this gives me hope that there may actually be a silver lining to sitting through anecdote hour with Dr. Treffer. :bang:

this gives me hope that there may actually be a silver lining to sitting through anecdote hour with Dr. Treffer. :bang:
Why would you go to his lectures? lol. But yeah KCU's OMM questions are 10x more difficult than NBOME COMLEX questions. You'll be fine

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing 2 days personally. was going to do more but the test dates didnt allow it. and I Want to be done before the 4th ofjuly

Took Step 1 on a Tuesday and Level 1 on Friday. Took Wednesday mostly off and made it half way thru a pdf summary of Savarese on Thursday before I was just done. Whatever OMT knowledge you gain in the few days between the exams will likely be offset by atrophy of real medical knowledge. I think taking a week between exams is crazy-- once you are near the end of dedicated you will just want it all over with. But, I also think that all the people starting UWORLD before dedicated are crazy too...
Ahh! This sums up my worries perfectly. Since I take Step on Friday, the Wednesday before will be my last study day. If I take COMLEX the following Wednesday, that's a week in between studying actual medical stuff.

Ahh! This sums up my worries perfectly. Since I take Step on Friday, the Wednesday before will be my last study day. If I take COMLEX the following Wednesday, that's a week in between studying actual medical stuff.
Seriously though, I tried to read savarese and gave up because it's very basic. Study the few things you struggle with, like cranio-sacral movements, sacral diagnoses etc. Because 10 minutes into reading about muscle energy you'll wish you took COMLEX a day earlier.

TU2OMT deck is such a drag to get thru. I'd rather do Zanki bchem all day over an OMM deck.

I put TU2OMT deck off for a while, kepy up with reviews but totally abandoned doing new cards for now. Hopefully it will be useful in the long run. I'll probably have to pick it back up sooner rather than later though.

What are your thoughts on the deck and its use in answering OMM style questions for COMLEX?

Seriously though, I tried to read savarese and gave up because it's very basic. Study the few things you struggle with, like cranio-sacral movements, sacral diagnoses etc. Because 10 minutes into reading about muscle energy you'll wish you took COMLEX a day earlier.
Ugh, this has me seriously rethinking. I'll keep Wednesday for now and mull over it for a bit.
TU2OMT deck is such a drag to get thru. I'd rather do Zanki bchem all day over an OMM deck.

I put TU2OMT deck off for a while, kepy up with reviews but totally abandoned doing new cards for now. Hopefully it will be useful in the long run. I'll probably have to pick it back up sooner rather than later though.

What are your thoughts on the deck and its use in answering OMM style questions for COMLEX?
Do both ;)

For me, it's helpful just for remembering all the small details, like the nitpicky things. More from an anatomy standpoint, and remembering all the counterstrain points and treatments. The deck is only like 1,300 cards so I legit do 20 a day and will be done long before dedicated.

Ugh, this has me seriously rethinking. I'll keep Wednesday for now and mull over it for a bit.

Do both ;)

For me, it's helpful just for remembering all the small details, like the nitpicky things. More from an anatomy standpoint, and remembering all the counterstrain points and treatments. The deck is only like 1,300 cards so I legit do 20 a day and will be done long before dedicated.
Ohh I def do Zanki bchem. That stuff is gold.
But ok I'll stick it out with the Turn Up deck and pick it up with new cards again soon.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not reading that book.
Going with the Turn Up 2 OMT deck for the entirety of OMM boards studying.

I think for me the total post step apathy killed it for me. If you think you’re on track to get an average step score you know you’ll pass comlex and I just didn’t care about doing well on comlex at all.

Realized this morning that I can't change to Tuesday because the NBOME people decided to make the cutoff date for the 2 different eligibility periods right when I'm testing, so Tuesday is out of the eligibility period I picked haha.

Realized this morning that I can't change to Tuesday because the NBOME people decided to make the cutoff date for the 2 different eligibility periods right when I'm testing, so Tuesday is out of the eligibility period I picked haha.
So taking Step, same day rest, then 4 days of COMBANK questions?

Will you be continuing with all other anki reviews?

So taking Step, same day rest, then 4 days of COMBANK questions?

Will you be continuing with all other anki reviews?
Taking Step, 100% resting the day after, studying 2 days after, taking a half day or full day before COMLEX off, COMLEX. So, really only 2-2.5 days of actually studying. Skim Savarese, maybe do TurnUp2OMT reviews, and some practice questions. Haven't decided yet if I will start with COMBANK questions before Step or fully leave it for those couple of days. Probably won't do other Anki reviews at that point but not sure.

Really, you're going to be fine. A day isn't going to make much of a difference. Seriously, don't worry about it.

3 days after Step. Not even gonna study for comlex honestly im gonna take those two days off. If you study your ass off for Step 1 your comlex score doesnt matter as long as you pass of course

• Haha
3 days after Step. Not even gonna study for comlex honestly im gonna take those two days off. If you study your ass off for Step 1 your comlex score doesnt matter as long as you pass of course
I mean it still kinda matters...the OMM can absolutely destroy your score if you don’t prep it at all. Taking 3 days completely off isn’t a good idea in terms of keeping your mind sharp too

Studied half a day for OMM. Great scores and no regrets.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
100% agree except for wanting to try and get over 550 so I can pass the cutoff for a lot of programs, since I read that a lot of them will filter on that and then not even see that you took Step. Wish I had scheduled for Tuesday but at this point can't change it so oh well!

100% agree except for wanting to try and get over 550 so I can pass the cutoff for a lot of programs, since I read that a lot of them will filter on that and then not even see that you took Step. Wish I had scheduled for Tuesday but at this point can't change it so oh well!
Damn are you serious? That stinks. Are they traditionally AOA? Id say spend a little more time then if you want a 550 plus but honestly if you try and wreck step 1 you should be fine. OMM is easy points though so I will say that

I mean it still kinda matters...the OMM can absolutely destroy your score if you don’t prep it at all. Taking 3 days completely off isn’t a good idea in terms of keeping your mind sharp too
I literally could care less about COMLEX bro lmao. As long as I pass. I also know OMM really well I was a chiropractor before med school so I barely study for OMM

Last edited:
Damn are you serious? That stinks. Are they traditionally AOA? Id say spend a little more time then if you want a 550 plus but honestly if you try and wreck step 1 you should be fine. OMM is easy points though so I will say that
It's what I heard happened to some people, and they had to reach out and personally email programs like "hey, I have a Step 1 score!". It's not the end of the world if I don't hit 550 and have to potentially do this, but it would just be easier not to have to worry about it lol

It's what I heard happened to some people, and they had to reach out and personally email programs like "hey, I have a Step 1 score!". It's not the end of the world if I don't hit 550 and have to potentially do this, but it would just be easier not to have to worry about it lol
Absolutely. thats so annoying. wat specialty

Last edited:
Absolutely. thats so annoying. wat specialty
A range of specialties. I guess it just depends how the PD filters and how the filters are set up. Like, if they hit a filter to only show them students with COMLEX >550 and then another for USMLE >220, will the filter filter for both of those things, or one or the other?

A range of specialties. I guess it just depends how the PD filters and how the filters are set up. Like, if they hit a filter to only show them students with COMLEX >550 and then another for USMLE >220, will the filter filter for both of those things, or one or the other?
Thats wild but from my knowledge Im pretty sure traditional MD programs dont care at all about COMLEX. If comlex is what matters for these programs then is there even a point in taking Step? I thought the purpose of taking Step was to open more doors but also to enable you to apply to traditionally MD (ACGME) programs. They need to care about one or the other thats ridiculous

I literally could care less about COMLEX bro lmao. As long as I pass. I also know OMM really well I was a chiropractor before med school so I barely study for OMM
Sweet bro. Just saying blowing it off usually bites people in the ass who don’t have your background. Do whatever ya want I could give two ****s

Also is your information on how important things are only based on SDN? Cuz this place is not full reality in most cases...

Sweet bro. Just saying blowing it off usually bites people in the ass who don’t have your background. Do whatever ya want I could give two ****s

Also is your information on how important things are only based on SDN? Cuz this place is not full reality in most cases...
No based on my Step 1 tutor whos a Hopkins resident and worked for Med school tutors for several years as a USMLE tutor and a residency application coach. COMLEX is useless if you do well on Step 1 no one cares about it as long as you pass so you can get the degree and graduate

No based on my Step 1 tutor whos a Hopkins resident and worked for Med school tutors for several years as a USMLE tutor and a residency application coach. COMLEX is useless if you do well on Step 1 no one cares about it as long as you pass so you can get the degree and graduate
Well it would make sense for the step 1 tutor and residency application coach you PAY to tell you that only step 1 is important...he obviously can't help you with COMLEX so might as well drive up the need for his services. Why in the world do you need a step 1 tutor anyway? What are they really adding that you cant get for free? cmon now...

I'm not saying COMLEX is a gold standard by any means...I'm simply staying completely blowing off the OMM section of a licensing exam, which is very light studying for 2 days anyway, just because you're "anti-OMM" seems pretty damn stupid. But that's just me....I'm more posting for other people who read this forum because you've already forked over the cash to have someone tell you to use Uworld and practice exams so it won't help you. Best of luck kid

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being overly harsh, but when you aren't even in a position of experience to talk about these things you probably shouldn't be talking in such absolutism. Blowing anything off in medical school isn't a habit you want to get into because it will bite you in the ass. Good luck

Last edited:
Thats wild but from my knowledge Im pretty sure traditional MD programs dont care at all about COMLEX. If comlex is what matters for these programs then is there even a point in taking Step? I thought the purpose of taking Step was to open more doors but also to enable you to apply to traditionally MD (ACGME) programs. They need to care about one or the other thats ridiculous
I really don't think its a big deal, it's just something I heard from a few people. They do care about Step 1 more, I think it's just that in certain programs, they don't realize that you even took Step if they set a filter to COMLEX >550 and you got a 240 Step but a 540 COMLEX, you know? It just depends on how the filters are set up I suppose, but from the people I spoke to once they reached out to the PD they looked at their Step score and all was good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well it would make sense for the step 1 tutor and residency application coach you PAY to tell you that only step 1 is important...he obviously can't help you with COMLEX so might as well drive up the need for his services. Why in the world do you need a step 1 tutor anyway? What are they really adding that you cant get for free? cmon now...

I'm not saying COMLEX is a gold standard by any means...I'm simply staying completely blowing off the OMM section of a licensing exam, which is very light studying for 2 days anyway, just because you're "anti-OMM" seems pretty damn stupid. But that's just me....I'm more posting for other people who read this forum because you've already forked over the cash to have someone tell you to use Uworld and practice exams so it won't help you. Best of luck kid

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being overly harsh, but when you aren't even in a position of experience to talk about these things you probably shouldn't be talking in such absolutism. Blowing anything off in medical school isn't a habit you want to get into because it will bite you in the ass. Good luck
He teaches me how to take the exam and how to study efficiently not content or what resources to use. There is a reason why everyone uses UFAPS but the distribution in scores is so vast. Don't worry about me itll save you energy. I know what I need to do to get the score I want. I only use him for content when i am confused with concepts. COMLEX is literally pointless if you are taking Step 1 most people would agree with me here. If you are a DO and want something like ortho then yeah COMLEX matters or you are a weak student and shouldnt be taking Step 1 then yes comlex matters. For everyone else comlex doesn't matter. For people at risk for failing comlex who are not taking Step 1 yes blowing off OMM is stupid. For everyone else its not stupid.

He teaches me how to take the exam and how to study efficiently not content or what resources to use. There is a reason why everyone uses UFAPS but the distribution in scores is so vast. Don't worry about me itll save you energy. I know what I need to do to get the score I want. I only use him for content when i am confused with concepts. COMLEX is literally pointless if you are taking Step 1 most people would agree with me here. If you are a DO and want something like ortho then yeah COMLEX matters or you are a weak student and shouldnt be taking Step 1 then yes comlex matters. For everyone else comlex doesn't matter. For people at risk for failing comlex who are not taking Step 1 yes blowing off OMM is stupid. For everyone else its not stupid.
Believe me I'm not worrying about you in the slightest haha I took the damn thing already so I'm talking from experience. Even if PDs don't actively look at COMLEX I've heard stories where they look at you a bit funny if you have a good step and a terrible COMLEX. Especially at formerly AOA places that made the jump. Again, not saying its the end all be all, and not saying it to you since you already know everything there is to know. More putting that out there for people reading who don't comment. Simply the fact that it is the entire licensing exam for being a DO makes it not pointless...its the tax we pay for being a DO but don't throw out BS that its pointless. You need it to practice medicine. Is it a dumb exam? Sure. But ya still gotta take it and do decently

This is true for fields like anesthesia or rads that focus on step scores more heavily. But community and even “low-tier” university IM programs will take comlex only applicants and thus will have a screen for comlex. Sadly, they don’t always have a “oh it’s a step score, let me ignore the comlex” algorithm in place. Same with FM/peds and other fields I’m less familiar with. Obviously the Uber competitive specialties will want monster scores from either depending on traditionally acgme or former-aoa programs.

Of course, given your background you’ll prob be in the 700 club.