How many dudes out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhunkeyPhish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After seeing that most schools have about 88% female student body I'm curious as to see how many other dudes are out there on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there are many of us, but I'm on here with you...

I think across the board it is more like 80% female and 20% male.

Members don't see this ad :)
But doesn't that give us a minority status?

Ya, can we use our gender to answer the how will you add diversity questions

Ya, can we use our gender to answer the how will you add diversity questions

I did in the LSU supplemental application lol.

I did in the LSU supplemental application lol.

I mentioned I was a guy in the supplemental, but other than that, I thought it was pretty self-explanatory how much my gender would add to the "diversity" of the class.

Definitely minority status and we should get all the bells and whistles that comes with. I see at least one obvious advantage to the overwhelming female majority though :love:

I've definately used the I'm a guy in the diversity statement. I kinda felt bad about it, but its true!

I am a guy. So who's excited about the guy:girl ratio in vet school? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, isn't that the reason you all want to go to vet school in the first place!?

Funny story though, after saying something about the guy:girl ratio to one of the vets I work with, he replied by saying they (the girls) are all dogs. Funny thing is, his daughter is in vet school!!!

I mean, isn't that the reason you all want to go to vet school in the first place!?

Funny story though, after saying something about the guy:girl ratio to one of the vets I work with, he replied by saying they (the girls) are all dogs. Funny thing is, his daughter is in vet school!!!

That is really funny, coz in my class all the guys are TOTAL dogs. Its a pity. I guess it doesn't matter though because nearly all the girls (especially the pretty ones) are already engaged/married. And they all huddle together, not mingling with the girls.

after saying something about the guy:girl ratio to one of the vets I work with, he replied by saying they (the girls) are all dogs. Funny thing is, his daughter is in vet school!!!

It always cracks me up when I see the old timers getting tours of our Teaching Hospital and seeing all the women (very attractive women). It's pretty clear in their expression that they think they were robbed by their 95-5 guy:girl ratios.

I'm a female who is not married or engaged.

I know I won't mind having some testosterone in my classes with the majority of a class full of girls! ;)

I'm a girl, but because of my name, people with whom I've corresponded via email only always think I'm a guy. I've been to a couple interviews where I walk in and the interviewer totally didn't expect a female. I wonder if it works to my advantage sometimes?

Guy here, one of the whole two males in the UTC pre-vet society.

I'm also the only male tech where I work, with all thirteen of my other coworkers being female.

Good place to be a guy is the way I see it ;)

I'm also the only male tech where I work, with all thirteen of my other coworkers being female.

Lol, that's me too. I'm the only guy tech, though there is a male vet (one out of the four that work there). Total staff amounts to 18 females, one male. It can get...interesting at times. I think all the 'cycles' are in sync and some days I feel like hiding in the back doing inventory or something.

We did have another guy who started about the same time I did but he never came back after the first week. Haven't seen another male even apply since then.

The last clinic I worked at was predominantly female, but my new place we are 3 male techs to one female and 2 male doctors. I don't know what's better though... sometimes I feel like I'm getting hassled by older brothers!

My wellness job is pretty absurd. We have 4 male techs and 3 female techs.

Although the emergency hospital is a little more typical. There we have 4 male techs in total to roughly 30 female techs.

Its odd, all the vets and techs I have worked with are guys. And I've seen a pretty equal guy/girl ratio as vet techs at different clinics that I've taken my pets to. I've met more male vets than female ones. I guess its regional.

I am a male applicant!!!!! Good luck guys:)

Dude here.

I'm married though, so the ratio doesn't excite me too much. They'll be nicer to look at than 80% dudes. Maybe I can congregate with the married/engaged girls (that another poster mentioned). We'll be so cool. We can all watch "The Real Housewives of OC" together. It'll be awesome!

<~~ dude here as well and I am excited about my minority status (being a white male I don't get to claim that title often)

As far as the ratio goes - even though I am married I won't hate it as I have always gotten along better with females vs males and my wife isn't the jealous type so no worries there either...

<-- Guy

Actually our class has a pretty off-kilter guy:girl ration compared to the US. I was going to count the exact number.. (I'm bored waiting for my connection flight out of Hong Kong..) but it's not letting me access the website I need.

guy, does anyone know the guy:girl ratio at cornell. that can boost our chances, with the minority and all. woooooo :)

This is kind of random, but at one of the vet med buildings at Illinois, there's a hallway where they have pictures of all the veterinary graduates, starting from the 1950s all the way to 2008. It's pretty neat to walk down that hallway and see how things have changed since then. It's like a parabolic function lol... at one time, it was all male, then it sort of got a little mixed, and now its mostly female.

I have nothing against guys in this profession, though... I know at one clinic I worked at, it was like there was an estrogen overload from all the techs--things seemed a little less insane when our one male doc was there. He was like the rooster that keeps all the hens in their place haha.

The ratio of guys to girls is horrible. First off, when you get a bunch of chicks together they become hens or cats or any number of negatively connotative animals and to deal with that is a pain in the ass. Second off, I am a gay man and I will have nothing to look at or other with. Let's hope that the 20% male are all gay men, then we will have a fun vet school class!

EBSimSimma - I'm also a gay man, and am likewise hoping for the other 20% to be gay men. Somehow I don't think that will be the case, tho... :(

^^^ hey gay dudes, we chicks don't have much of anything to look at either so you're just on equal footing with us! ;)

This is kind of random, but at one of the vet med buildings at Illinois, there's a hallway where they have pictures of all the veterinary graduates, starting from the 1950s all the way to 2008. It's pretty neat to walk down that hallway and see how things have changed since then. It's like a parabolic function lol... at one time, it was all male, then it sort of got a little mixed, and now its mostly female.

I've walked down the hall in one of the old vet med buildings on UCD's campus and thought exactly the same thing wildvet, all the way down to the parabolic function part. Nerds... ;)