how many have been in therapy?

Started by marie337
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marie337

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been seriously considering psychiatry, but I do have a weird setback. I have been in and out of therapy for several years for OCD and depression. I keep thinking that I won't be effective as a therapist since I can't even help myself. But, I think that I am better at helping other people than I am at helping myself. I was just wondering how many other psychiatrists and psychologists have been in the other chair, so to speak.
 
Marie: It may seem initially that that could be a "setback", but from my experience I believe having had psychopathology can help you to help your clients with your "more informed" perspective (and I'm not saying that one must have had psychopathology to be a fully effective mental health practitioner!). I was treated for clinical depression lasting two years while an undergraduate, and I found that the therapy process augmented my decision to pursue a career in mental health as well as the ways that I view psychopathology currently. Though I could see how having significant psychopathology in the present could render you less effective as a therapist (not to mention other areas of your life), having had that experience could help you to be more effective when helping those going through the same thing. I can relate with how long and hard the road to recovery is, and so would you when helping others with the same recovery to face. I hope that helps!
Good luck! :luck:

marie337 said:
I have been seriously considering psychiatry, but I do have a weird setback. I have been in and out of therapy for several years for OCD and depression. I keep thinking that I won't be effective as a therapist since I can't even help myself. But, I think that I am better at helping other people than I am at helping myself. I was just wondering how many other psychiatrists and psychologists have been in the other chair, so to speak.