how many have been in therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been seriously considering psychiatry, but I do have a weird setback. I have been in and out of therapy for several years for OCD and depression. I keep thinking that I won't be effective as a therapist since I can't even help myself. But, I think that I am better at helping other people than I am at helping myself. I was just wondering how many other psychiatrists and psychologists have been in the other chair, so to speak.

Members don't see this ad.

Marie: It may seem initially that that could be a "setback", but from my experience I believe having had psychopathology can help you to help your clients with your "more informed" perspective (and I'm not saying that one must have had psychopathology to be a fully effective mental health practitioner!). I was treated for clinical depression lasting two years while an undergraduate, and I found that the therapy process augmented my decision to pursue a career in mental health as well as the ways that I view psychopathology currently. Though I could see how having significant psychopathology in the present could render you less effective as a therapist (not to mention other areas of your life), having had that experience could help you to be more effective when helping those going through the same thing. I can relate with how long and hard the road to recovery is, and so would you when helping others with the same recovery to face. I hope that helps!
Good luck! :luck:

marie337 said:
I have been seriously considering psychiatry, but I do have a weird setback. I have been in and out of therapy for several years for OCD and depression. I keep thinking that I won't be effective as a therapist since I can't even help myself. But, I think that I am better at helping other people than I am at helping myself. I was just wondering how many other psychiatrists and psychologists have been in the other chair, so to speak.