How many hours a day do you study and when did you start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow April MCATers!

I study about 2-3 hrs a night during weeknights, and usually all day Sat/Sun, but I only started a few weeks ago :-( What about you guys?

Good Luck Studying, and lets keep each other motivated!

Members don't see this ad.

Should be plenty, I would think. You don't want to overdo it, but you do want to be familiar and comfortable with all of the material. Just make sure you don't feel like you're studying to the point of insanity. If you're still absorbing it all and learning readily, keep it up.

Question: since I'll be almost done with my general review of the materials in a week (I hope) do you think starting on mcat style questions from then on would be sufficient, or should I have started earlier? I've worked on a few mcat style q's though, like 20...
Oh by the way, except for one lab, I have no other commitments, so I'll be studying pretty much every day, w/o a life... so is this sufficient?

i study 3+ hrs/day, and i have been since middle of january.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying in early January, and have been doing about 4-5 hours per day about 5 days per week. I think I started my review a little bit early, but I had a LOT of Biology to relearn (had it years ago). My first practice exam was last week and I will incorporate one of those every week or two from now until April 16th.

2-4 hours/day on weekdays,
8 hours on saturdays,
3 hours on sundays.

started january 1st.

3-4 hours on weekdays
4-5 hours on weekends

Started off slowly in May (yes, MAY) with the Kaplan comprehensive for 2-3 hrs/week, finishing it off before the prep course started in mid-November.

BlackstarNYC said:
4 hours on weekdays, 5 hours on Saturday, 1-2 hours Sunday

Do any of you have jobs? If so, how are you managing to study this amount? If you are students, how are you managing 12+ hours of class as well as 3-5 hours per night. It may be just me, but this seems a bit excessive in terms of available hours.

Adam

I work 40+ hrs a week, but I squeeze it in here and there:

wkday 5am morning workouts - 30 min audio osmosis
daily commute - 1.5 hrs
lunch - 1 hr
1-2 hrs after dinner, before passing out at ~9:30pm or thereabouts.*

*This constitutes an "ideal" day. Some days I'm lazy and I surf the web for half an hour during lunch instead of using my full hour for studying, or I'll sleep on the way home. Weekends consist of more of the same, only I wake up a little later.

aamartin81 said:
Do any of you have jobs? If so, how are you managing to study this amount? If you are students, how are you managing 12+ hours of class as well as 3-5 hours per night. It may be just me, but this seems a bit excessive in terms of available hours.

Adam

hi. i work 35 hours/week and am taking night classes in orgo and physics. even with this workload, i'm finding there's plenty of time for studying. first of all, i study quite a bit at work (i have a somewhat private cubicle). secondly, i have NO social life. third, and most importantly, i have a strict studying schedule that i force myself to follow. if i can't get something done one day that i promised myself i would, for instance, i just stay up at night until it's complete.

i plan to have the bulk of my studying done 4 weeks before the MCAT, so i can get lots of sleep leading up to it and review whatever i need to.

juniper456 said:
hi. i work 35 hours/week and am taking night classes in orgo and physics. even with this workload, i'm finding there's plenty of time for studying. first of all, i study quite a bit at work (i have a somewhat private cubicle). secondly, i have NO social life. third, and most importantly, i have a strict studying schedule that i force myself to follow. if i can't get something done one day that i promised myself i would, for instance, i just stay up at night until it's complete.

i plan to have the bulk of my studying done 4 weeks before the MCAT, so i can get lots of sleep leading up to it and review whatever i need to.

You and I are in similar positions. I study roughly 1-2 per night on both weekdays and weekends (unless taking a practice test). I will finish with 4 weeks to go, but I have been suprised by the number of people who say they study 5 hours a day (I wasn't factoring the time of listening to cd's). I guess its possible, but there would be a large risk of burnout for me. To each, his own. Good luck to everyone!

Adam