How many hours a week do you work? (on and off the clock)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a completely unscientific poll. I hear a lot of talk of underemployment and also stories of some people working tons of OT- and curious to some of the actual numbers.

I really thought of this after I moved to nights and realized how many fewer hours I was at work.

1. how many hours a week are you paid for? (base hours before extra)
2. how many hours a week do you actually spend at the worksite? (include unpaid breaks, etc)
3. how many paid extra hours do you average a week?
4. Do you want to work more and just can't find the work? (will differential people who choose to work part time vs those that are forced to work part time due to saturation)

me - before the change
1. 40
2. 50 plus on average
3. 0
4. Happy with full time hours

after moving to nights
1. 40
2. 35 (work 70 get paid for 80 and don't have to take an unpaid lunch)
3. 40 for the entire year - so like 1 a week lol
4. Happy with full time work

so I get paid about 15k more a year and work less - seems a no brainer if you can handle nights.
before the total hours at the hospital - 2250 - even if I just worked my base hours - 1890 hours at the hospital. Now 1500,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So a completely unscientific poll. I hear a lot of talk of underemployment and also stories of some people working tons of OT- and curious to some of the actual numbers.

I really thought of this after I moved to nights and realized how many fewer hours I was at work.

2. how many hours a week do you actually spend at the worksite? (include unpaid breaks, etc)
4. Do you want to work more and just can't find the work? (will differential people who choose to work part time vs those that are forced to work part time due to saturation)

me - before the change
1. 40
2. 50 plus on average
3. 0
4. Happy with full time hours

after moving to nights
1. 40
2. 35 (work 70 get paid for 80 and don't have to take an unpaid lunch)
3. 40 for the entire year - so like 1 a week lol
4. Happy with full time work

so I get paid about 15k more a year and work less - seems a no brainer if you can handle nights.
before the total hours at the hospital - 2250 - even if I just worked my base hours - 1890 hours at the hospital. Now 1500,
If you can handle nights.You will spend one of your days off just adjusting after your week.You will need 1 day adjusting before you begin your work week. My first week on graveyard was hell.After that I adjusted but was always tired. We were not meant to go to bed at 10AM.Some people loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
-41-42
-roughly 8 hrs every couple months
-no. Work/life balance is crucial. I work hard when I'm at work... and enjoy my time off just as hard.

1. 40
2. 45-50
3. Generally a 13 hour shift every other week
4. No I usually turn down 2-4 shifts per month

1. 24 hours
  2. 24 hours
  3. 0
  4. Yes. I used to get an average 8 extra hours per week, but script count is down and travel is restricted, so that’s gone now.

Position: PIC at regional grocery chain

1. 40hrs
2. 42-47hrs (alternate 40hr and 45hr scheduled work weeks)
3. 2-7hrs (bill for any time I'm there and get a differential for hours worked over 40hrs per week)
4. Happy with my hours. Have the option to work an extra day each week (10hrs) as PIC if I wanted to, but I like my day off during the week and figure floaters need the shift.

staph rph

1. 40 hrs
2. 40.5 hrs
3. 0
4. hell no

Overnight

1. 70 per 2 weeks
2. 70 per 2 weeks
3. Maybe 1 extra shift per year
4. Hell no

Ambulatory-based pharmacy pre-2020

4 @ OT

4. Do you want to work more and just can't find the work?

Definitely wanted to work less, but patient volumes required staying OT but weren’t enough to justify an additional FTE.

Current position - non-staff/administrative, pre-COVID vaccines

32 - on site
8 - work from home

Sometimes yes, when I think of a big purchase I want to do...but been there/done that and I’m happy to have more time than money these days.

Current position - non-staff/administrative, during current COVID mass vax campaigns

44- on-site
8 - work from home

12 hours @ OT rate

Nope, can’t wait for this ish to finish. The money is nice, for now.

Evening 2nd shift RPh
1. 40
2. 36.5 (30 min unpaid lunches)
3. 100-150 hours per year for the last 2 years at Overtime, on track for 150-200 this year due to vaccine clinics.
4. I could stand to work a little less, but I'm okay for now.

@confettiflyer : I don't know how your hospital/department can afford so many OT hours. Our hospital's trying to enforce a bunch of measures to cut down on them.

Work 40, paid 40, on site 42. Ot available occasionally but don't pick up.

Not worth it after taxes and losing free time.

Evening 2nd shift RPh
1. 40
2. 36.5 (30 min unpaid lunches)
3. 100-150 hours per year for the last 2 years at Overtime, on track for 150-200 this year due to vaccine clinics.
4. I could stand to work a little less, but I'm okay for now.

@confettiflyer : I don't know how your hospital/department can afford so many OT hours. Our hospital's trying to enforce a bunch of measures to cut down on them.

The OT wasn’t incurred in hospital, it’s in an ambulatory clinic with ample revenue and increased volumes supporting the hours. The OT situation got so bad, an additional FTE was awarded the following budget year.

It was bad though, and at the peak of it, I would actually work 7am-6pm, go home to eat dinner/spend time with family, and come back to work 8pm-11pm to prep for patients next morning. Alternative was working 7am-9pm.

It was nice because I could blast music and work without interruption at night.

That wasn’t all the time, just the worst of the worst days. Before you have any pity on me, I would breach the 2xOT rate mandated in CA on these days, so the last two excruciating hours at work were @ ~$200/hr. We did breach 1.5xOT regularly, though.

Reactions: 1 user

1. 40
2. 42.5-45 (Due to unpaid mandatory lunches. Sometimes I may stay slightly late to help others so it could go up to 46 hours on my worst week of the year. Not common though.)
3. 0
4. Hell no. I want to work less actually, but it wouldn't be a good idea. Sometimes extra hours are offered but I usually turn them down.

1. 32-40
2. 35-43
3. 0
4. NOPE. Finally compound interest is kicking in and working for me and I hope to work less in the future.