How many hours a week do you work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnicornDemon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I went into medicine, I believe I'd enjoy doing a residency in neurology as I'd be fascinated to learn how the brain operates. However, I also wish to work in a field where I can have ample free time outside of work to pursue the few hobbies I have.

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself since I am only a pre-med, but I wish to ask- how many hours a week do you work as a neurologist? Is it possible to obtain a work-week that averages between 40-45 hours a week year round? I ask simply because I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Members don't see this ad.

If I went into medicine, I believe I'd enjoy doing a residency in neurology as I'd be fascinated to learn how the brain operates. However, I also wish to work in a field where I can have ample free time outside of work to pursue the few hobbies I have.

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself since I am only a pre-med, but I wish to ask- how many hours a week do you work as a neurologist? Is it possible to obtain a work-week that averages between 40-45 hours a week year round? I ask simply because I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Welcome to the neurology forum!

The short answer to your question is yes. You can certainly find jobs in adult neurology comprised of between 40 and 45 hours per week.

The longer answer is that you need to first decide if medicine as a whole is truly something you want to do. And at a minimum you need to see various types of physicians in their practice environments to know if you want to go to medical school. I would particularly emphasize the need to shadow primary care doctors. In my opinion, a growing percentage of medical school students will be entering these fields. It is also not unusual for many people who were thrilled with shadowing subspecialty surgical procedures to be somewhat dismayed at the typical daily ebb and flow of what constitutes a normal primary care office.

So while I applaud your early interest and I would affirmatively answer your question, I would be remiss if I did not urge you to do a good bit more homework. Individuals who are strongly concerned with lifestyle balance are often disappointed with the heavy commitments involved in pursuing and following a medical career.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really goes for any job. You can make it a normal 40 hour a week job, or you can make it an 80-100 hour week by just learning unlimited knowledge in the industry. Those who work 60+ hours a week are pushing themselves to learn more and get better at what they do, and those only looking to work minimum hours feels either they aren't happy with what they do, or just isn't interested in learning more than what is needed to know!

Just my opinion thought, good luck to you on your future!

The 40 hour work week will be possible about a decade after you start medical school. You will have to put your hobbies on hold for much of it as well as seeing family and friends on holidays. It's a long time. If you know now that working long hours will make you unhappy then this is not the right career for you.