How many hours did you study for the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjmjoa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And did you get the score you wanted? I was wondering if a month is enough time to get a good score.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied for about an hour and a half... I didn't do too terribly.

I studied for roughly 3 months over the summer alongside with work + summer school. I didn't set an amount of time to study for, but rather set a goal on the amount of practice problems I should get done. Typically that came out to be anywhere between 1.5 to 3 hours. The latter weeks towards the actual exam I studied even less, mainly just refreshing my mind to the topics that I had troubles on in the practice problems. I exceeded my expectations, ended up with a 98%tile.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a last minute decision to take the PCAT in september. I just bought the pearson practice tests and used youtube to refresh on old subjects like anatomy. I probably spent < 1 hour a day except for the week before the exam where I just did a bunch of practice exams. I did very well (99 composite). It's definitely doable!

I did a last minute decision to take the PCAT in september. I just bought the pearson practice tests and used youtube to refresh on old subjects like anatomy. I probably spent < 1 hour a day except for the week before the exam where I just did a bunch of practice exams. I did very well (99 composite). It's definitely doable!

Is anatomy a part of the PCAT?

Yes. Part of the biology section will have anatomy questions. The best review, in my opinion, that I have found was Bozeman Science videos on youtube. I haven't taken anatomy and physiology since 9th grade and those short videos really helped me learn all of the important details.

Is anatomy a part of the PCAT?
its more physiology than anatomy. I think I only had 1 anatomy question in my PCAT, but there were a few physiology questions. A few of my friends didn't even have any anatomy questions in their PCAT...

its more physiology than anatomy. I think I only had 1 anatomy question in my PCAT, but there were a few physiology questions. A few of my friends didn't even have any anatomy questions in their PCAT...

Yes I would agree! Now that I think about it, it's more physiology than anatomy. The Bozeman videos cover both though if you choose to use them.

Yes I would agree! Now that I think about it, it's more physiology than anatomy. The Bozeman videos cover both though if you choose to use them.

Do you have a link to these videos?

Studied Dr. Collins for a month with no school, for however long it took me to finish 3 practice tests a day (it honestly got really tiring). I hadn't taken anatomy yet so I was wondering where some of the biology questions came from...now I know haha, but I think there is more physiology. Anyway I think Dr. Collins + Pearson's tests are really solid! (ended up with a 98)

Do you have a link to these videos?

I watched the playlist twice and on all of my practice exams, I got 100% correct on anatomy and physiology. They pretty much cover everything with no extra detail or missing any important details. Another thing to make sure you do is memorize amino acid structure. I had like 3 questions where you just had to identify amino acids so those are easy points in the chemistry section.

Studied 150 hours or so with Collins over the course of 3 months. Got a 91 composite. Wasn't too bad of a test for me.

Honestly….if i studied 10 i'd be shocked.
89 right here

I studied for 2 months but probably only spent 40 hours preparing and 30 of those were spent taking practice tests.

I got a 90

I got through about 80% of a Princeton Review book and received a 90 composite. I have 2 other books that I haven't even opened lol.

Studied 150 hours or so with Collins over the course of 3 months. Got a 91 composite. Wasn't too bad of a test for me.
so dr.collins is the only thing u studied and recommend? i used pearson three tests only and they didnt help me

so dr.collins is the only thing u studied and recommend? i used pearson three tests only and they didnt help me

I highly recommend Dr. Collins, even if it's just for the chemistry section. I pretty much only studied chemistry because I wanted to get the highest score possible in that section; it is after all the section that can affect your composite the most when compared to the rest of the exam. Out of the 150 hours of studying, I probably put around 130 into chemistry alone and 20 into bio. For the Pearson tests, I recommend them only after you have studied enough (whether that be in your undergrad classes or outside of them) and feel prepared to take the actual exam itself.

I highly recommend Dr. Collins, even if it's just for the chemistry section. I pretty much only studied chemistry because I wanted to get the highest score possible in that section; it is after all the section that can affect your composite the most when compared to the rest of the exam. Out of the 150 hours of studying, I probably put around 130 into chemistry alone and 20 into bio. For the Pearson tests, I recommend them only after you have studied enough (whether that be in your undergrad classes or outside of them) and feel prepared to take the actual exam itself.
how do u guys know how to use this approach? i didn't. so everyone had to study ahrd to be in the 90s? and not all geniuses?

how do u guys know how to use this approach? i didn't. so everyone had to study ahrd to be in the 90s? and not all geniuses?