How many hours does the average applicant spend on his/her personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1056062

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure your question has an answer, or at least a useful one. The PS is not something that should be rushed and applicants should start drafting it months in advance (say January). Other factors such as whether they are in school, studying for the MCAT and/or working are also factors along with the obvious aspect of whether they enjoy writing.

If you do not have a PS already, I do not suggest applying to MD programs for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
The time it takes to write a polished personal statement that explains everything you need to convey--e.g., why medicine, that you understand what you're getting into, and why you'll be a good doctor--is apt to vary widely among applicants. You would be well served not to worry how much time it may take, but instead to take whatever time it takes you to accomplish your goal. This is a competitive process and your odds of success decrease (but do not disappear) with each failed effort.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me it was probably a month. IMO writing it is the easiest and least time-consuming part. You’ll want multiple sets of eyes on each iteration and that editing process can take a while if you’re waiting on people.

Can't really say how many hours as it happened over 3 weeks, almost a month. Had at least 5 people I really trust go over it and in the end it was over 5 drafts. I personally think my statement was the common thread among my application materials, like the trunk of a tree linking every different branch (letters, ecs, etc.).

Last edited:
I was very surprised that I was NOT the only one who said, "You probably should work on your personal statement as early as your freshman year." It won't be polished until you get much closer to application time. And I worked with a number of freshmen and sophomores in academic enrichment programs on their personal statements... and they had to submit something to be admitted to that summer program.

I've had a few advisees journal or blog.

Embrace the process.

Guestimate drafting PS spanning 2 years with versions A-W, couldn't complete the alphabet.

Do keep in mind that the "average" applicant does not get admitted to medical school so from the start your question is flawed. (far less than 50% of applicants, maybe about 43% get an offer of admission to any school)

@MedGirl26 from the type of questions you are asking here and on several other threads, it doesn't seem to me that you are ready to apply to medical school right now. Your questions suggest that you haven't informed yourself well enough of what is expected during this long application year. Are you still in college, or have you graduated?

Reactions: 2 users
@MedGirl26 from the type of questions you are asking here and on several other threads, it doesn't seem to me that you are ready to apply to medical school right now. Your questions suggest that you haven't informed yourself well enough of what is expected during this long application year. Are you still in college, or have you graduated?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean that I am "not ready to apply to medical school right now". I just completed my SMP with a 3.89 GPA, I already have my MCAT score, and I'm finishing up my personal statement, hoping to submit everything by June 10th. I'm taking Preview and Casper this early June. I already have had all my letters of recommendation sent in. Why would you say that?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean that I am "not ready to apply to medical school right now". I just completed my SMP with a 3.89 GPA, I already have my MCAT score, and I'm finishing up my personal statement, hoping to submit everything by June 10th. I'm taking Preview and Casper this early June. I already have had all my letters of recommendation sent in. Why would you say that?
The generic questions mostly focused on being first or early.

I still don't understand? I thought applying by June 10th is okay? You're concerning me.
Of course it is early enough. But your repeated questions on the timing of everything is detracting from you going offline to read and review (and rewrite if needed) your essays and turn in a good application, not just an early one.

Reactions: 1 users
I started in January when I applied and probably had 15-20 different drafts before I was semi happy lol. So I would say many many many hours to make it perfect!