How many hours of ECs per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So... I'm running into a bit of dilemma, because I just can't figure out where the line is between doing so many hours of activities that my grades suffer versus not doing enough and ending up bored / with a suffering application. I'm pretty busy currently, but I feel like I could do more.. but I don't want to do too much!

My main question stems from the fact that I'm not sure if I should apply to a scribe next year or not. It'd be a 16-hour-a-week commitment, and I'll be a sophomore -- thus, taking organic chemistry one and two, biology, and calculus throughout the year. This 16 hours would be in addition to the 12 hours of other extracurriculars I'm planning on continuing. Would that be way too much..? I just think that it'd be such a great experience, and I don't want to pass it up if I can actually handle it.

I know that nobody else can tell me what commitments I can or cannot take on. However, I'd really appreciate anyone else chiming in about a similar experience / decision that they had to make. Can you just tell me how it turned out for you and what you'd generally recommend to someone who has a strong work ethic but isn't a superhero or anything? Thanks so much!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would say 16 hours of scribe + 12 hours of ECs + Full Time School is too much, but like you said only you can know if you can handle it. For my junior year I worked approximately ~20 hours a week and had ~15 hours a week of ECs however I took as few classes as possible and to be honest my ECs suffered. I stepped back from my leadership roles slightly and didn't put in the effort that my research project deserved. If I had to do it over again I probably would have cut something out. My recommendation is quality > quantity. Pick 2 or maybe 3 things on top of classes you will enjoy that require more than a couple hours a week and put in some solid hours in them. Also make sure you have some free time in your schedule and enjoy college.

I do 4 hrs medical and 4 hrs non-medical each weekend, and also have clubs/groups during the week. I will obviously have a different schedule in college, but I doubt it will change drastically.
Bottom line, do what you can while keeping your grades high. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 16 hours of scribe + 12 hours of ECs + Full Time School is too much, but like you said only you can know if you can handle it. For my junior year I worked approximately ~20 hours a week and had ~15 hours a week of ECs however I took as few classes as possible and to be honest my ECs suffered. I stepped back from my leadership roles slightly and didn't put in the effort that my research project deserved. If I had to do it over again I probably would have cut something out. My recommendation is quality > quantity. Pick 2 or maybe 3 things on top of classes you will enjoy that require more than a couple hours a week and put in some solid hours in them. Also make sure you have some free time in your schedule and enjoy college.

You're probably right. It's just so hard to prioritize! I love all of my activities!
Thank you for that insight, though :) I never really thought of it in that direction -- I figured that if I took on too much, my grades would suffer. But thinking about it from the other angle, it definitely makes sense that ECs might suffer instead.

I guess I'll need to do some soul searching to figure out what is really best for me. I think I would enjoy all of my activities equally, but in very different ways, so it's hard to choose. How did you decide which things were the most important for you to keep doing?

I do 4 hrs medical and 4 hrs non-medical each weekend, and also have clubs/groups during the week. I will obviously have a different schedule in college, but I doubt it will change drastically.
Bottom line, do what you can while keeping your grades high. Good luck!

Thank you! :) It's weird how much schedules change in college -- you have infinitely more free time but at the same time, way less. It's very strange. Having an equal balance between activities is probably good, though :) I will keep that in mind as well. I only do an hour and a half of nonclinical volunteering a week, but I LOVE that experience.

Four hours a week is the norm for a "typical" cookie cutter. Most hospitals, for instance, have you do minimum of four hours a shift.

Hi guys! So... I'm running into a bit of dilemma, because I just can't figure out where the line is between doing so many hours of activities that my grades suffer versus not doing enough and ending up bored / with a suffering application. I'm pretty busy currently, but I feel like I could do more.. but I don't want to do too much!

My main question stems from the fact that I'm not sure if I should apply to a scribe next year or not. It'd be a 16-hour-a-week commitment, and I'll be a sophomore -- thus, taking organic chemistry one and two, biology, and calculus throughout the year. This 16 hours would be in addition to the 12 hours of other extracurriculars I'm planning on continuing. Would that be way too much..? I just think that it'd be such a great experience, and I don't want to pass it up if I can actually handle it.

I know that nobody else can tell me what commitments I can or cannot take on. However, I'd really appreciate anyone else chiming in about a similar experience / decision that they had to make. Can you just tell me how it turned out for you and what you'd generally recommend to someone who has a strong work ethic but isn't a superhero or anything? Thanks so much!! :D

I would say it's doable as long as you're confident that you can do it.

If you keep up 20 hours a week during your whole undergraduate career you will have a pretty killer resume. It's all about consistency though. I do usually take off from volunteering during the occasional killer test week.

That is a good idea. I will see if I can lighten the load during test weeks. Thank goodness for syllabi!!

I would say it's doable as long as you're confident that you can do it.

I think I can :) We'll see, I suppose! Thanks!!

I think I can :) We'll see, I suppose! Thanks!!

Don't be afraid to cut back on some of your ECs if your grades are suffering significantly. Your current 12 hours/week of ECs is already a decent amount imo. Best of luck :).

Don't be afraid to cut back on some of your ECs if your grades are suffering significantly. Your current 12 hours/week of ECs is already a decent amount imo. Best of luck :).

That's true. I just think that scribing would be such a good experience! I think I'll go for the scribe opportunity and cut back some of the other ECs if I can't handle both :) Thank you!!

I spend around 45-50 hours a week on my ECs and the remainder of my free time studying, hanging with friends, and enjoying the last few weeks of being a teenager. If you're truly dedicated to whatever you're doing, the ECs won't feel like work.

I spend around 45-50 hours a week on my ECs and the remainder of my free time studying, hanging with friends, and enjoying the last few weeks of being a teenager. If you're truly dedicated to whatever you're doing, the ECs won't feel like work.

Do not do this.

omgwut. 50 hours on just ECs? Really? Not even counting school? And you have free time?? Wow!! I don't even believe that's possible! 50 hours of ECs plus school plus studying plus free time seems crazy! If you can really keep up with that, props to you for sure. I don't think that I will be pursuing that exact route but hey. To each his own! Good advice, though. I really do enjoy all of the things I'm involved in, so I am planning on just going ahead and trying to fit them all in :thumbup: You being able to do 50 hours of ECs weekly boosts my confidence that I can handle 28.

As much as I enjoy my EC's I don't think I would go over 10 hours a week. Nor do I think it is all that necessary, the average accepted medical student probably has 200 hours tops.

As much as I enjoy my EC's I don't think I would go over 10 hours a week. Nor do I think it is all that necessary, the average accepted medical student probably has 200 hours tops.

If you don't mind me asking, what ECs do you do? You can be vague, just like.. Clinical volunteering, nonclinical, clubs, jobs? I'm just not really sure which things are considered the "most important" to focus on :)

Sounds pretty doable to me, but you need to assess your own abilities. This would basically be equivalent to holding down a part time job while in school. It's definitely manageable but if you struggle academically at all, this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Just be cautious as you approach things and don't overload too quickly.

Sounds pretty doable to me, but you need to assess your own abilities. This would basically be equivalent to holding down a part time job while in school. It's definitely manageable but if you struggle academically at all, this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Just be cautious as you approach things and don't overload too quickly.

Good idea :) Thanks! I got straight-As last semester, so hopefully I can keep it up through this semester and next year!

omgwut. 50 hours on just ECs? Really? Not even counting school? And you have free time?? Wow!! I don't even believe that's possible! 50 hours of ECs plus school plus studying plus free time seems crazy! If you can really keep up with that, props to you for sure. I don't think that I will be pursuing that exact route but hey. To each his own! Good advice, though. I really do enjoy all of the things I'm involved in, so I am planning on just going ahead and trying to fit them all in :thumbup: You being able to do 50 hours of ECs weekly boosts my confidence that I can handle 28.

Thanks. There is something to be said for effective time management and fulfillment in the undergraduate experience. If you're not working smart, you're not getting a lot out of your time in uni. (Read Cal Newport's stuff!)

Thanks. There is something to be said for effective time management and fulfillment in the undergraduate experience. If you're not working smart, you're not getting a lot out of your time in uni. (Read Cal Newport's stuff!)

My happiness is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend doing nothing, so I spend quiet alot of time doing absolutely nothing productive. Also I don't compartmentalize my time or make a schedule (so I guess I'm not "working smart"). I'm still a successful student (even by your measures). It's really different strokes for different folks imo. Some people need more structure than others, some need less.

My happiness is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend doing nothing, so I spend quiet alot of time doing absolutely nothing productive. Also I don't compartmentalize my time or make a schedule (so I guess I'm not "working smart"). I'm still a successful student (even by your measures). It's really different strokes for different folks imo. Some people need more structure than others, some need less.

Absolutely. Everyone should find what works best for them.

Last edited: