How many hours per day are you studying? On Average

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sekem, Jul 25, 2006.

?

On Average , how many hours per day are you studying?

1. less than 2 hours

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 2-4 hours

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. 4-6 hours

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 6-8 hours

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 8-10 hours

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. 10-12 hours

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. 12+ Hours

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. sekem

sekem Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    On Average, how many hours per day are you studying? ( for your classes!)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus

Study? Me?! Psssh, I get my clones to study for me.

4. tncekm

tncekm MS-1

Medical Student
    I voted, but wasn't sure if you were looking for pre-med or MCAT studies. I haven't started MCAT yet and normally only open my books about once a month for the tests.

Starting MCAT prep soon, and may try to teach myself physics so I can apply for 2008, so my life will change soon. :(

5. sekem

sekem Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    just want to know overall study

6. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    define study

7. sekem

sekem Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    academic studying, classes, ...

8. tncekm

tncekm MS-1

Medical Student
    Yeah...study...I don't really do that much. Calc, chem, bio, anatomy tests, etc. I get started right before each monthly test usually. If its a subject I'm lagging on, I'll start a few days in advance. :)

edit: although, my last bio class my teacher would give us take home work that would take between 2 and 8 hrs per assignment, so I didn't get much choice but to study. I won't risk my grades by being a lazy ass, I just do as little as possible :D

But, like I said, my life will change and i'm hoping to grad with a 3.9 overall gpa, so i need to finish with straight A's to raise my gpa a whopping half point.

9. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus

Oh, CLASSES. Yeesh, at 15 hours a week of attending classes, plus studying, hmm... maybe 30 hours a week, to 45, depending on class difficulty. I'm leaning on 45 this semester because of orgo.

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise

Medical Student
    So far 2/3 of the sample studies for less than 2 hours. :laugh:

Perhaps we should juxtapose this with a poll asking how long people spend on SDN? :D
    -Dr. P.

11. dsh

dsh

Medical Student
    I voted less than 2 hours. For most of my classes I just go to lecture and listen and do labs/required assignments. Before exams, I spend anywhere from 2-16 hours studying, usually the day and night before. I doubt this will work in med school, I've really got to change my habits.

12. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member

Post Doc
    I personally study about 4-5 hours each day... if by studying you mean sitting in front of the laptop with the books open browsing the web.
    I try to study, I just can't get myself to, unless i have a hard exam coming up.
    So I'd say less than 2 hours/ day normally. More like 30 min of pure studying spread out over a whole day. But if i do that everyday for a monthly exam, it amounts to quite a lot. :p

13. Skaterbabe74

Skaterbabe74 Senior Member

For me it depends whether we're talking regular semesters or the summer. I took 16 credits this summer so I pretty much study from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed (other than a few short breaks for food, sdn, or pogo). I'm totally fried lol. But 16 or 17 credits in a 15 week semester translates to about 4 hours a day of studying (not including classtime) since most of my classes aren't just reading the book and taking an exam. Most of the time I have some sort of assignment to do too, whether it's problems for physics/math/chemistry, prelabs/lab reports for my lab classes, or writing programs for my comp sci classes in addition to the exams.

14. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    i used to do the cram before tests thing and that didn't work too well once i hit heavy biochem or cell bio material. so i've started to force myself to read/study things beforehand so i'm more familiar. i figure i'll be playing catchup all the time in med school so getting it in my system to study early on will be good.