how many hours per week pharmacy residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

later2pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
average?

Members don't see this ad.

12 days on 2 days off, 8 hours per shift at my employer's residency program. It ends up being about 50 hours a week average.

wondering if working pt in retail setting at same time would be feasible.

Members don't see this ad :)

It varies a huge amount depending on the program. Some of the larger programs may have you take call every few nights (pager, call room and all). Community-based or smaller hospitals might be closer to 40-50 hours per week. There's also all the projects that may not necessarily be "time at work" but are definitely time working.

I've worked with a few residents who float around, so it definitely is possible.

Average 50 - 70. Maximum 96 thus far.

I would say I average 50-60 a week....

That being said, there have been days when I've been there less than 8 hrs!

This has been a good year for SDN RX residents...who do we have.. Pri, Bigpharm and you? Next year list looks good too.

It seems to vary a lot by rotation. some months are 60+ hour weeks all month, and others are sub-8 hour days most of the month.

One meeelllliiiooon.

dr_evil.jpg

With freaking lasers on their heads.

I'd say on average it's about 50-60 hours per week. We also work 12 days on with 2 days off. Some days are 14 hours and some are < 8 hours. I almost always have some work to do at home as well. It's hard but I know it's worth it especially looking back on all that I've learned. Regarding working other jobs during residency, like some have said it really depends on the program. There's no way we could work at another place in our residency program.

And I'm also one of the crazy ones doing a PGY-2!

I'd say on average it's about 50-60 hours per week. We also work 12 days on with 2 days off. Some days are 14 hours and some are < 8 hours. I almost always have some work to do at home as well. It's hard but I know it's worth it especially looking back on all that I've learned. Regarding working other jobs during residency, like some have said it really depends on the program. There's no way we could work at another place in our residency program.

And I'm also one of the crazy ones doing a PGY-2!

and one of my good friends is going to be one of your PGY-1s!

I am glad that in the end I didn't end up at a 12-on/2-off program. I bet it's GREAT for learning, but being that I'm going to be >1000 miles from anyone I know, it would really cut down on having any sort of visitors, etc.

and one of my good friends is going to be one of your PGY-1s!

I am glad that in the end I didn't end up at a 12-on/2-off program. I bet it's GREAT for learning, but being that I'm going to be >1000 miles from anyone I know, it would really cut down on having any sort of visitors, etc.

Yup! We're excited to have her! Yes I could imagine having visitors would be difficult but it's do-able, especially if you're an efficient person. Probably the most important thing I learned this year is how to work efficiently! I considered myself good at multi-tasking before residency, but at this point I feel like I'm much more effective!

Karm-
Yup, I'm doing critical care because I'm a glutton for punishment!

around 60 hours a week. this does not include staffing requirements or commuting times.