How many interviews does it take...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^
I understand where you are coming from.

I feel its just whether the adcom is accepting of new ideas and that uniqueness you spoke about.

I went into interviews with long hair. A taboo on SDN, or pretty much any premed I met.

Oh, I'm a guy btw.

And believe me, I say a lot of other stuff, but you are right, maybe thats why I was deferred till March at my first 3 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have

Still waiting
Rejected
Still waiting
Still Waiting
Still Waiting
Scheduled
Scheduled
Scheduled.

:scared:
Since I obvi don't feel very safe at all, personally, I guess I would need at least 10 interviews to feel "safe"

lol, i swear that i know how to talk, :cool:, its just that I guess I have my own unique style, and I've kind of reached the conclusion that that is what has been rubbing these adcoms the wrong way. if not that, then i honestly have no clue what has been getting my rejected..., since actually the speech that comes out of my mouth has been of a high quality (insightful and clear answers to their questions), its just that I manage to give a controversial opinion or two at least once, and have my unique mannerisms and style.

What is being assessed in interviews? It's admittedly superficial, but one trait many will try to get a sense for is whether you a generally affable person. Will patients/colleagues be comfortable dealing with you?

You've concluded that you're not making a good impression in your interviews, and that often people aren't reacting positively because of things you say. Sorry, but I'd guess it's unlikely that you're learning this now for the first time.

It's easier to put the tag on others, and rationalize that the problem is that they don't accept you're being "unique". What's more likely (from your description) is that people find you awkward to talk to. The result is that many are concluding that you are a less desirable applicant than others. That's something you can fix. But look in the mirror first and understand that the source of the problem is probably not "other people" or a societal preference for conformity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was offered 13 interviews, withdrew from 3...but here's what I've had so far -

Hear in March (non-Rolling)
Waitlist
Accept
Accept
Accept
Accept
Accept

So who knows? What was weird for me is that the school that I got waitlisted at is statistically the least competitive and was definitely my last choice out of all the interviews I had. I'll never understand this process.

2 interviews, 2 acceptances.
But I am pretty flipping awesome in person :laugh:

What is being assessed in interviews? It's admittedly superficial, but one trait many will try to get a sense for is whether you a generally affable person. Will patients/colleagues be comfortable dealing with you?

You've concluded that you're not making a good impression in your interviews, and that often people aren't reacting positively because of things you say. Sorry, but I'd guess it's unlikely that you're learning this now for the first time.

It's easier to put the tag on others, and rationalize that the problem is that they don't accept you're being "unique". What's more likely (from your description) is that people find you awkward to talk to. The result is that many are concluding that you are a less desirable applicant than others. That's something you can fix. But look in the mirror first and understand that the source of the problem is probably not "other people" or a societal preference for conformity.

i see what you mean. the tricky part is that some people find me awkward to talk to. people who are... more conservative, more down the middle... the type of people you are likely to find on an adcom, lol. so, for a while in my life, i just dealt with people that dug me, and minimally with people that didn't. and there was always enough people around me that dug me that there was minimal pressure to change. i knew that some found me awkward, but just didn't give enough of an ish, lol. and now it has come back to bite me in the ass. but either way, to be totally honest, i see the blame on both sides of the fence... but w.e. ive been working on my interviewing technique so we'll see what happens next.