How many interviews per acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many interviews?

Votes: 13 16.9%

Votes: 11 14.3%

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • 4+

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters

periopocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many interviews does one need to land an acceptance...I know there is no clear rule, but on average what do you guys think? TY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please feel free to share success stories guys!! Or failures...or thoughts!!

Oops. Just noticed this is a poll. Those don't show up on the ol' phone.

I threw 3 out there because two of my interviews sucked and I knew I was out when I left the interview room. And I was right. I was amazing, of course. But my interviewers were just huge wieners...and one wienerette. Had those been the only two interviews I had, I'd be refreshing AADSAS and checking email instead of cramming away right now. So 3+ it is.

Wow Jeff!! That's crazy!! This is the kind of stuff that's interesting! So people really do give off vibes...very interesting...can you say you had good vibes for acceptances you received as well?

Wow Jeff!! That's crazy!! This is the kind of stuff that's interesting! So people really do give off vibes...very interesting...can you say you had good vibes for acceptances you received as well?

I'm probably the one putting off bad vibes. These two situations had unique personalities, I guess. It's my fault for not adapting to the situation/person. The lady was just wenchy though. She wasn't having it. She probably wouldn't accept her own dying mother holding a plate of hot cookies. Blah. Pictures of the evilness upon request...

Acceptances? Yeah. I was pretty sure. They just went well. I left satisfied. Except Temple. I was positive my little video was lame. So I was surprised to get accepted there. At the school I'm attending, I knew I was in. They seem to be vibe givers. I was even douchey enough to tell another interviewer that I know I'm getting in. I was excited and it slipped and I admit that's lame.

Lessons:
- don't suck at the interview
- adapt to personalities better than I did (grumpy retired old dude is a different interview than a young female interview)
- don't be serious in the video, they don't want that (Temple only)

I'm probably the one putting off bad vibes. These two situations had unique personalities, I guess. It's my fault for not adapting to the situation/person. The lady was just wenchy though. She wasn't having it. She probably wouldn't accept her own dying mother holding a plate of hot cookies. Blah. Pictures of the evilness upon request...

Acceptances? Yeah. I was pretty sure. They just went well. I left satisfied. Except Temple. I was positive my little video was lame. So I was surprised to get accepted there. At the school I'm attending, I knew I was in. They seem to be vibe givers. I was even douchey enough to tell another interviewer that I know I'm getting in. I was excited and it slipped and I admit that's lame.

Lessons:
- don't suck at the interview
- adapt to personalities better than I did (grumpy retired old dude is a different interview than a young female interview)
- don't be serious in the video, they don't want that (Temple only)

Very good advice!! With interviews coming up next week or so, I am peeing me pants!! Thanks again!! :laugh:

Oops. Just noticed this is a poll. Those don't show up on the ol' phone.

I threw 3 out there because two of my interviews sucked and I knew I was out when I left the interview room. And I was right. I was amazing, of course. But my interviewers were just huge wieners...and one wienerette. Had those been the only two interviews I had, I'd be refreshing AADSAS and checking email instead of cramming away right now. So 3+ it is.

I guess you rocked your interview at YALE school of dentistry. :D

*sigh* Well, since Jeffity gave a somewhat serious answer.

Just as you, the OP said, there is no rule, there is definitely no good answer to your question. You'll find people who've interviewed 5 times with no acceptances, and people who've interviewed once and gotten accepted.

I said 2, and while I was giving a half-assed reply, I did base it on having received an acceptance on my 2nd interview. I don't think the whole vibe thing is always true. I had a fantastic "vibe" from the first school I interviewed at, but they still rejected me 5 months later. The 2nd school I mentioned gave absolutely no indication, my interviewer was stone cold emotionless robot. By my 3rd interview I kind of didn't care anymore (since I had gotten an acceptance, and I was of the mind that, getting just one and I would be happy and set), and on that 3rd one, I got a similarly good vibe from the 1st, but this time got my acceptance the same day. Go figure.

For me of course, things were very different than for you guys right now, as all my interviews were post-december 1st. The one thing I will say is, even if you've got your "acceptance" and are happy with it, go to any other interviews you have even an inkling of curiosity about. I dropped my last interview after my 2nd acceptance and decided it wasn't worth going to, I kind of regret that now.

*sigh* Well, since Jeffity gave a somewhat serious answer.

Just as you, the OP said, there is no rule, there is definitely no good answer to your question. You'll find people who've interviewed 5 times with no acceptances, and people who've interviewed once and gotten accepted.

I said 2, and while I was giving a half-assed reply, I did base it on having received an acceptance on my 2nd interview. I don't think the whole vibe thing is always true. I had a fantastic "vibe" from the first school I interviewed at, but they still rejected me 5 months later. The 2nd school I mentioned gave absolutely no indication, my interviewer was stone cold emotionless robot. By my 3rd interview I kind of didn't care anymore (since I had gotten an acceptance, and I was of the mind that, getting just one and I would be happy and set), and on that 3rd one, I got a similarly good vibe from the 1st, but this time got my acceptance the same day. Go figure.

For me of course, things were very different than for you guys right now, as all my interviews were post-december 1st. The one thing I will say is, even if you've got your "acceptance" and are happy with it, go to any other interviews you have even an inkling of curiosity about. I dropped my last interview after my 2nd acceptance and decided it wasn't worth going to, I kind of regret that now.

Very very interesting Kahr...extremely cool! Thank you so much for the advise again...It's that intense at these things huh!?!?

Very very interesting Kahr...extremely cool! Thank you so much for the advise again...It's that intense at these things huh!?!?
The interview is the most important and critical part of the application process. It's not necessarily intense, but there is certainly a lot of pressure on you as the applicant at that stage. It's terrible to say that given you need to relax going into an interview, but I think it's just the truth that you have to be aware of.

The interview is the most important and critical part of the application process. It's not necessarily intense, but there is certainly a lot of pressure on you as the applicant at that stage. It's terrible to say that given you need to relax going into an interview, but I think it's just the truth that you have to be aware of.

Thank you for the valuable advice Kahr!! I have been preparing tough, just like the other SDNers!

Just a question..how have you been preparing tough?

Learning everything about the school I can...Collecting tips from online resources, practicing with family and friends just the basics! GL

Is 4 interviews enough? Or 4+!! Ahh I gotta get back to studying, these interviews are sucking the blood out of me!

Interesting thread. I interviewed last month and the interviewer was emotionless. I thought the interview went well? Towards the end of the interview, he said you seem like an energetic and fun person to be around. Not sure what to think of this lol

LOL awsome post!! I think some interviewers are just this way...I also think his final feedback meant that you are in!! GL amigo, only a couple months until our final dental destination is decided! :thumbup:

I think they try to make sure the interviewers are not super friendly easy to read people -_-
It would be awesome to be in, but an interview is also just one part of the whole process. After the interview, I am assuming they consider the whole file again and compare you to other candidates. Just one long scary process. Good luck to you too :)

I'm sure you did great, and to be honest you have completed the most important part of the process for this specific school! Thanks for the luck ill need it! :whistle: