How many interviews to assure a spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wick215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how many interviews does one need to basically assure a spot in a program for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

The NRMP starts charging extra if ranking more than 15 programs. So I would surmise that they feel that number is abundantly adequate to cover all applicants (including independant applicants)

Here is a website with NRMP stats @ ROL:
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/impact.html

Most word-of-mouth from years past is that a large majority of people match at their top 3 - top 5 programs.

I guess the answer is that you are never assured a spots but the stats indicate less than 10 are plenty.

The EMRA book "EM: Med student survival guide" says this...

"Consider 5 intervews an absolute minimum, 10-15 about average, and 20 or more about right if you have doubts about your application"

I think I'll go for 10, unless I get a tempting late offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to work out well. If a program is interested enough to interview you, there's a good chance you can rank there. That's probably how most people match in their top 3.

The NRMP shows people that matched across all specialties (even derm, ophtho etc) ranked 7-8 programs. Those that didn't match ranked an average of 5. So do yourself a favor and rank about 7-8 and the stats will be on your side.

See you all on the interview trail!

I have found that a rough estimate is by comparing the number of applicants interviewed to the number of spots offered at the programs you are applying to. FREIDA has this information for most programs. In general, most programs will interview at a ratio of 10 applicants for 1 spot. Some may do more, some may do less. In general, and using this logic, I am using 1 in 10 as a rough estimate, meaning that 10 interviews puts me in line with my odds. However, a PD at a large institution has told me that overall, 12 interviews will provide most candidates with a 95% match outcome rate.

I just added up my program list's total number of interviews (1164) and the total number of spots (104). 1164/104 = 11.2, meaning if I interview at 12 programs, I will most likely match at one of those programs...

Originally posted by NinerNiner999
I just added up my program list's total number of interviews (1164) and the total number of spots (104). 1164/104 = 11.2, meaning if I interview at 12 programs, I will most likely match at one of those programs...

My astrologer told me that if your house is in Venus you only need to apply to 10 but if Mars is rising then it has to be 12.:p

Of course if you are in the house of Tintinalli 3 will do...:D

- H

Originally posted by Dr. Cowboy
The NRMP starts charging extra if ranking more than 15 programs. So I would surmise that they feel that number is abundantly adequate to cover all applicants (including independant applicants)

Here is a website with NRMP stats @ ROL:
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/impact.html

Most word-of-mouth from years past is that a large majority of people match at their top 3 - top 5 programs.

I guess the answer is that you are never assured a spots but the stats indicate less than 10 are plenty.

whats the extra charge per program once you apply to more than 15?

If you have to ask you're way too anal. Its $25. Trust me, even if you make the mistake of going to more than 15, don't rank more than 15.

The people I knew with 8 were a little worried. The ones with 15 felt like they spent a little too much time and money interviewing. The answer for you depends on how anal you are, but plan on 8-15.