how many interviews to go to for match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering, about how many interviews should I go to be safe about matching?any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

there was a file uploaded on this forum earlier this year with stats like that for every specialty... if i remember correctly the safe numbers were between 8-12 ranked programs to match... bellow that and above that was variable, but do a search. it was an official file from the nbme or something.

Here is the address for the PDF of the official paper. It basically gives a bunch of statistics for the applicants that matched into each specialty in the 2005 main match. It's pretty interesting. Hope it is helpful.

www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
The match outcomes data is only somewhat helpful. Last year, everyone who ranked 14+ programs matched. However, it is anxiety-building to think that you could be that one person with 13 programs ranked who still does not match. Who wants to go on 14 interviews? A friend of mine only applied to 9 places, went on 7 interviews, ranked all 7 and matched at his top choice. I am not that brave, but I'll probably cap mine off at 10. There are great programs everywhere and I am certainly worried that I will 'miss' one. So I started the chopping by least-desirable location. I truly feel that I can find a great fit for me outside of Rochester, Minn. for example. I hope that gives you a starting point as well as an ending (15 max). Also consider that certain programs take up 2 ranks for their categorical and advanced positions separately, so these data can be misleading. (e.g. 14 ranks can really contain only 8 or 10 programs).

One Caveat: If you have the time, $$, and desire to see more programs....go for it.

thanks everybody for the input, as the interviews roll in, the task of actually going and putting on a game face for them along with the prelim programs is beginning to seem daunting, so i was trying to get a ballpark figure of how many interviews to go on

I to am excited about checking out different programs, but am thinking that going to prelim and PM&R interviews is going to get tiresome and expensive. It seems like most residencies interview 50-70 people for probably 4-9 spots, which to me doesn't seem reassuring that a interview means you are in. Hope to see you guys on the road.

It seems in the most recent years, interview were 10:1 for candiates interview for each spot and also similarly for for the interivew:rank to match odds. I.E. a program with 5 spots will interview 50 people. A candidate likewise should rank 10 programs to match at one of their top 3. Seems everyone has exceptions, above are generalizations.
good luck to all

I wish we had a reliable number for prelim interviews. I think they interview more than 10:1 in popular cities.

I'm applying to 9-10 transitional programs (thinking about withdrawing one app). My advisor recommended 15 interviews to be safe. There's neither money nor time to do 15 prelim interviews plus PM&R interviews. I'm sitting here shaking my head trying to figure out how I'm going to interview in January and meet my clerkship requirements.

I'm applying to 9-10 transitional programs (thinking about withdrawing one app). My advisor recommended 15 interviews to be safe. There's neither money nor time to do 15 prelim interviews plus PM&R interviews. I'm sitting here shaking my head trying to figure out how I'm going to interview in January and meet my clerkship requirements.

Applying to programs with categorical spots - like Penn, RIC, Mayo, Baylor, etc can help cut down the number of prelim interviews.

One could easily scramble into a prelim medicine position. (although, prob not in the most desirable of locations)

As far as how many PMR programs to interview at--I would say as many as you can afford financially and time wise--period. There are 81 programs out there and you know very little about most of them. You are going to be there 3 or 4 years and you need to see what is out there--anyways, you are a fourth year and what do you want to do instead--work? You can read all the program websites and still not know squat about the program until you visit it. Don't scratch programs off your list just because of the name. Lots of great programs aren't affiliated with a big name med school and lots of not so great programs are affiliated with a big name med school. Applying for residency is different than applying to med school.

As far as the intern year...lots of people want to coast their first year and do a transitional year. These same people are a very competitive group of applicants (radiology, ophthamology, anesthesia, etc.). If you are set on a transitional year--apply to many programs. Prelim years are a dime a dozen and prepare to slave.

I've been on 5+ interviews so far and would rather gauge my eyes out that explain why I chose PM&R...again. I think I may need a break.:cool:

I've been on 5+ interviews so far and would rather gauge my eyes out that explain why I chose PM&R...again. I think I may need a break.:cool:

I usually give a big sigh and repeat what i told the last suit that interviews me... although my answers are getting more refined. what i hate is when more than one person per interview asks why rehab.
i will soon answer... "you know, plently of money and relaxation"

this is my ummmm 5th today and two more this trip...then some locals and one phone interview.... at least the phone interview didnt ask why i wanted rehab.... they did that all during rotation.
:rolleyes:

All done. Yay! I just have to go study for Step 2 now. I think I have a whole 10 days:rolleyes:

Kaizen,
You're all done with interviews total, or just for now? How many have you gone on? IMG or AMG?
Just being nosey. :laugh:

S'ok. I am done with PM&R interviews. I ended up going on 11 total. AMG. I have 6 TY/Prelim interviews left to go. Trying to push those into the new year.

I wish I was as efficient as kaizen, but in the end I will have gone on 10 interviews. I figure it's better to open up those interview spots for others when I've got a pretty decent idea where I'd like to end up.