How many interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chronoch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received 5 interviews so far... is that enough? How many of those schools do you think I will get in at?

CCOM
KCOM
NSUCOM
AZCOM
Wayne State (M.D.)

I guess I'm just trying to gauge my chances at getting accepted any place. All of my numberical scores are better than the average D.O.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no way for us to tell you what your chances are. You might look good on paper, but be a real ass in your interview and blow it.

There is an element of personality here, that none of us can evaluate.

Buckeye(OH) said:
There is no way for us to tell you what your chances are. You might look good on paper, but be a real ass in your interview and blow it.

There is an element of personality here, that none of us can evaluate.

That's true. But, how many interviews does the average person get? Is 5 a decent, safe number?

Members don't see this ad :)
The acceptance rate for most DO schools after you receive an interview is pretty high. I think you have a good chance.
You have not given any stats/volunteer exp/etc to base this on though. There is a thread here
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133673
that lists stats and where people were interviewed/accepted.

With five, i'd think youd get at least one acceptance.

I only applied to two and got both acceptances.

Wouldn't worry about it at all. You're bound to get accepted to at least one of those schools, if not more. Osteopathic schools tend to have higher admission rates post-interview, on the order of 50% or more. I suppose they don't want to waste any time interviewing someone they wouldn't see as a good fit for their school.

I interviewed at 3 DO schools.. got in to 2 and was placed "on hold" at the other.. in order accepted, on hold, accepted.. no rhyme or reason..(that I am currently aware of)...

So I think it depends on how things go.. what each school is looking for and howyou rock the interview.

good luck and keep us posted.

Andrea

Chronoch said:
I have received 5 interviews so far... is that enough? How many of those schools do you think I will get in at?

CCOM
KCOM
NSUCOM
AZCOM
Wayne State (M.D.)

I guess I'm just trying to gauge my chances at getting accepted any place. All of my numberical scores are better than the average D.O.

Thanks!

One interview can be enough. Remember, your MCAT/GPA got you an interview. It is your personality, communication skills, and motivation for becoming a phyisician that will play a large part in how you perform in your interview. You must be carefully analyze the schools as you interview to find your best fit.

I think that in general your chances should be pretty good. A few factors to take into consideration...have you already interviewed? If not, you are pretty late in the game so your chances may be lower than ppl who applied earlier. Also, how do you generally do at interviewing?

I think this is somewhat of an argument that nobody can answer. Start going to interviews as soon as possible, and when you get answers back...then you will know. Worry more about the big picture than about how many interviews you have gotten, it will help you in the end.

I interviewed at 6 D.O. schools and 2 M.D. schools. I was accepted to all of them. I withdrew before secondaries to one D.O. schools and I withdrew post secondary from one M.D. school.

A lot of it depends on your personality. How you come across. If they ask you what stubbles you anticipate along the way in med school, make sure you have some (like teh workload is tough, passing exams, etc) or else they think you are arrogant.

I know at CCOM, the interview is the maker or breaker. It's low stress, just be friendly and talkative.

Chronoch said:
Thanks!

I only applied to 3 schools so 5 interviews sounds pretty good to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chronoch said:

CCOM
KCOM
NSUCOM
AZCOM
Wayne State (M.D.)

Thanks!

I also recieved 5 interviews, and got into 4 of them. Most of the time you have a 50%-75% chance of getting in if you make it to interview phase, especially if the interview goes well. I find this not to be as true at M.D. schools.

you have to understand, that some people applying are total dorks in the interview. the interview is the ONE and ONLY chance to show who you really are. anyone can get a 26 on mcat and a 3.5 GPA. But if your not a REAL person, meaning you cant communicate, well i would hope you wouldnt be my doctor.

2 interviews, 0 acceptances. Second interview I was praised for how articulate I am and what a good communicator I am. This rejection still baffles me.

Invited for interviews at WVSOM, KCUMB, DMU, AZCOM, VCOM, CCOM, Creighton (MD), ETSU (MD), St. Louis U. (MD), East TN State (MD), Albert Einstein (MD), and Uniformed Services University (MD). Actually went to WVSOM, KCUMB, VCOM, Creighton, ETSU, USUHS, and Creighton. Accepted outright to all but Creighton (waitlist) and USUHS (still pending some USAF paperwork, but looks good!). Withdrew form other interviews after I got accepted to one of my top two. That is 11/40 schools applied (28%). You must look at ratio of interviews to applications to get an accurate picture.

OSUdoc08 said:
I also recieved 5 interviews, and got into 4 of them. Most of the time you have a 50%-75% chance of getting in if you make it to interview phase, especially if the interview goes well. I find this not to be as true at M.D. schools.
Depends on the school. Most MD schools run 40-60% acceptance rate for interviewees. DO schools are a little better (55-75%) but topping out at a whopping 88% for DMU (according to U.S. News).

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Depends on the school. Most MD schools run 40-60% acceptance rate for interviewees. DO schools are a little better (55-75%) but topping out at a whopping 88% for DMU (according to U.S. News).

Hey... can ya tell me the percentage of acceptance for NY residents interviewing at NYCOM?

Thanks!!

Jenn

DrBeanie said:
Hey... can ya tell me the percentage of acceptance for NY residents interviewing at NYCOM?

Thanks!!

Jenn

Dr. Beanie,
If you have above 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT, I'd say you're already in. During my interview, 2 NY residents both got in. I found out my acceptance by phone on the 6th day post interview. This should allay your anxiety!

Kevin

gentlekev said:
Dr. Beanie,
If you have above 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT, I'd say you're already in. During my interview, 2 NY residents both got in. I found out my acceptance by phone on the 6th day post interview. This should allay your anxiety!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I definitely don't have that high of an MCAT.

My MCAT is a 23, but my GPA is a 3.98 non-science, 4.0 science, last 6 consecutive semesters were a 4.0. I have a fair amount of extracurr. and a D.O letter.

The interviewer commented that I seem "bright and friendly."

Does anyone know when the admission commitee meets? I heard they meet once a week... I wonder which day. I doubt the letter will go out this week anyhow. Is it rude to call? Maybe I could call under the pretense of making sure that all of my materials are in?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks Kevin for your response. I hope you can comment further!

Yours, Jenn

DrBeanie said:

Thanks!!

Jenn

According to US News, it looks like they interviewed 349 NY residents and acceptd 261. That is a 74.7% acceptance rate. So, it looks like you've got a good chance. Good luck!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
According to US News, it looks like they interviewed 349 NY residents and acceptd 261. That is a 74.7% acceptance rate. So, it looks like you've got a good chance. Good luck!

Well now, THANKS. Where can I access this US News? Is it a book or a site? I'd LOVE to investigate further.

Thanks again!

Best of luck to you!

DrBeanie said:
Well now, THANKS. Where can I access this US News? Is it a book or a site? I'd LOVE to investigate further.

Thanks again!

Best of luck to you!

Actually it's both. The web site costs about $15 and the link is: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php
THe book is called "U.S. News and World Report Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools" by Josh Fischman and the staff of U.S. News. It costs $18.95 and is available in any major bookstore. Both offer slightly different info and I used them both.

Other books that you might want out check out are "The Princeton Review: Best 162 Medical Schools (2005)" and "Barron's Guide to Medical and Dental Schools (10th Edition)" Hope that helps. Good Luck! :luck: