How many interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris Knight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many interviews should one attend? any golden ratio between invites/attendance and matching? how many programs are you/did you interview with?

I realize most US medical grads match their #1, so outside of interviewing solely to find your #1, whats safe? so far I'm batting 100%, but I most certainly cant afford to attend all these interviews, and thus am debating how few I should attend.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

'll bite just to get the thread started.

Don't assume that because you're an US grad that you'll get spot. You're judged by your credentials but also judged against the interview pool.

I'd say 5-10 is what most students do.

On FREIDA, they have stats on how many candidates a program interviews. You can calculate your own ratio to find out how competive the interview will be. Someone once told me that the program will have a good chance to fill if they have 7 good quality interviews for every position... so 50-60 interviewed candidate for 8 intern slots.

Looking at past match stats, 8 programs seems to be the magic number for US MD grads.

That being said, if you're a very strong candidate you could likely get away with 5-6, weaker candidates might need 10ish.

Sadly, you can likely go on the lower end since you are a US MD grad and this is still family medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 7 interviews as of now, and would like to do one more. I feel I am a strong candidate, but how can I know the best fit for me without exploring my options, right?

Hi there,
I can't seem to find any thread listing interview invites for FM this season? I m kinda assuming there shld be one; right?

I have 7 interviews as of now, and would like to do one more. I feel I am a strong candidate, but how can I know the best fit for me without exploring my options, right?

7 is more than enough if you want to land a spot. FM is a buyers market and I'm guessing you will likely cancel an interview or two anyway. I agree, however, that exploring your options is important. That being said, the interview trail gets pretty brutal pretty quick.