How many is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad if you have attended four schools during undergrad?

When I apply to med school i'll have attended four schools for undergrad: First year at pitt, first semester second year at a community college, second semester second year at MD, and Junior and Senior year at Hopkins.

I had a 2.5 GPA at pitt with 24 credits freshman year, a 4.0 at both the cc and MD -- I took 21 credits first semester at the cc and 18 credits second at MD. I plan on continuing to work my butt off and maintain a 4.0 here at hopkins. So i'm confident that i'll be able to raise my GPA.

I had a really bad freshman experience at pitt, including two trips to the emergency room by ambulance. I can fully explain the low GPA at pitt, but i'm worried that the whole switching schools thing will hurt me. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you keep it up at JHU, and your story is reasonable enough to fully answer "is there any circumstances that prevented you from sucessfully carrying out your academic years blah blah blah" or the "is there anything else you would like the admissions committee to know" questions on secondaries, you should be fine.

Oh yeah ace the MCATs I hear it helps.

Its pretty amazing how everyone who had bad marks in first year claims "bouts of severe illness" in one form or another.

Not saying your lying but what what happened to good old freshman lazyness like I had =(

Members don't see this ad :)
man that's a lot of schools. you're definitely going to have to explain that in your PS. i don't think it's going to hurt you as long as you tell them why it happened. it's also going to suck a little more when you're requesting transcripts.

Ok, good, I can breathe a little easier now.

I definately know where you're coming from QuietStorm, but my explination was enough to satisfy Hopkins -- you wouldn't believe the hoops they had me jump through -- so I'm fairly confident that it'll carry over to adcomms.

Thanks to everyone for replying.