How Many Is Too Many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose14

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I haven't slept last night, trying to finish the AMCAS application, mainly trying to figure out where to apply. It's not like I haven't done any research on it, but everything kind of got confused and I ended up with a list of ~20 schools. I sort of got it down to 15, but I am more unsure than ever. I did the whole longshot/"safety"/midrange spread, but really, how many is too many??

Do you know what the pros/cons of too many/too few schools are?

Please put my mind at ease, I really wanna sleep tonight.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 24 schools. It is really expensive, especially with secondaries coming soon, but at least this way I feel I have more of a chance of getting accepted somewhere. You just never know who will like your application. This process feels so random...we've all heard of really good students not getting in, and students with lesser credentials getting in. My theory is that one of the 24 schools will like me, and if I'm lucky I'll have more than one acceptace.

Goose14,
I would suggest applying to between 15 and 20 schools- that is what my pre-med advisor told me- you do want to apply to a range of schools, but you also want to apply to schools that match what you want and schools that you would be ultimately the happiest attending (location, etc). If you have a pretty good idea, just submit the AMCAS- you are allowed to change your list of schools and it won't affect your processing time (that's what AMCAS told me- it just changes the computer file and it does not have to go through an AMCAS representative)- so you are better off trying to get your app submitted then to wait to long and get your app delayed
just my $.02

Members don't see this ad :)
I think too many is when you don't have enough money to pay for all the applications....:D

well, how many schools you apply to depends on a two things I'd say:

What state are you from? if you're from cali, applying to a lot of schools is probably in your best interest. if you're somewhere like texas, you can maybe afford to apply to not as many schools.

also depends on how "strong" your application is. the stronger applicants will have a somewhat easier time getting in (if they apply to the right places), whereas a "borderline" applicant might want to apply to a lot of places to increase their chances of acceptance.

its kind of a judgement call, but assuming you dont live in california, ~15 schools (as long as most of them are realistically within your range as an applicant) is probably a decent number. I finished 20 apps in total i believe, and although it cost some extra money it was nice having the security of getting a handful of interviews to maximize my chances of getting in somewhere, and then getting to choose on a place i really like between multiple acceptances. i say if you do err, do so on the side of caution :)

Thank you guys so much

WOW that was fast!

Ok, but I am worried about schools looking at the application and going: "hmmm, this guy really has no clue about what he is doing... He is from NY, applying to (all?) state schools and then a few more in the area, plus a few schools for some reason in midwest"

What's his deal?

Thanks

Schools cannot view your list of other schools applied to.

Originally posted by Goose14
Thank you guys so much

WOW that was fast!

Ok, but I am worried about schools looking at the application and going: "hmmm, this guy really has no clue about what he is doing... He is from NY, applying to (all?) state schools and then a few more in the area, plus a few schools for some reason in midwest"

What's his deal?

Thanks

ostensibly, where you've applied to isnt disclosed to medical schools until march 15th, when they can find out where you've been accepted. I think one interviewer asked me where else i was applying and i was honest about it, but thats not something theycan hold over your head. If they held over my head how many places and where those places were that I applied and interviewed at, i would have been screwed ;)

in the MD/Phd admissions game its kinda different since some applications actually make you list all the places you're applying to. but for straight MD i wouldnt sweat it :)

Disadvantage of applying to too many schools: more secondaries to complete.
Disadvantage of applying to too few schools: you lower your chances of being accepted.
I think 15-20 schools is a good range. You have to judge how strong your application is, if it's very strong then 12 may be enough, if it's borderline then 20-25 might be more appropriate. Make sure that any school you apply to is a place you would be willing to go, if it were the only school to accept you. If you're not willing to go, why bother applying? Conversely, make sure that most of the schools you apply to are "in-range" for you. It's fine to apply to a few dream schools as long as most of your choices are realistic given your credentials. Hope that helps. If you tell us more about you and where you're applying maybe we could give more specific advice.

Well, I'm applying to 31 schools which may be 1) too many or 2) too few or 3) just right. I have no way of knowing what the response will be until I press the submit button tomorrow - after I get paid.

I would like to do this application year just once and if I get only one interview and 1 acceptance then it will be worth the price and the effort. If I get lots of interviews and a good number of acceptances - wow, what an incredible thought! - then that will make my day. :D

But since I have no idea of knowing which porridge bowl will be just right for this Goldilocks, I have to taste alot of them !

DW pretty much said it. Don't worry about other med schools--you will probably get asked about it (I applied to 17 and most people said, "Wow") but if you can defend your choices, you will be fine. It's good sense to apply to all your state schools, quite reasonable to apply to more in the region, and if you're interested in some schools in the Midwest, by all means apply there. I don't think you will stand out as being a weirdo. When interviewers ask where else you applied, they're usually trying to find out whether you really thought about the decision (you obviously have) and what you're looking for in a med school. Good luck!

15 schools isnt too many schools, unless you are pretty confident that you are going to get in somewhere. One of my friends only applied to 8 schools, but thats because his stats were 42, 3.9 from Hopkins. Like everyone else is saying, getting into med school is such a crap shot that you have to have a lot of choices to maximize your chance of getting in. That's why the average applicant fills out around 18 applications...

Hope this helps...

Thank you guys for all your help.

This makes sense, I mean, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure that it's how they look at it too. (Except for the whole Goldilocks/porridge analogy -- that was great)

I appreciate your help,

Good Luck

Originally posted by DW
well, how many schools you apply to depends on a two things I'd say:

What state are you from? if you're from cali, applying to a lot of schools is probably in your best interest. if you're somewhere like texas, you can maybe afford to apply to not as many schools.

I'm new to the premed scene so don't mind if this is a stupid question, but why are you at an advantage for med school acceptance if you're from CA?

You're at a disadvantage if you're from CA and are applying to med. school. CA colleges spit out a bajillion pre-meds who all want to attend medical school in CA. It's extremely competitive. Not to mention, the UCs are quite the bargain (as far as med. schools go).