How many ladies have had this problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont get it
It was just coincidental I ran into this pic because a female co-worker at a dental lab hates driving to this one dentist's office to drop off impressions; the old man always asks her for a hug and she's repulsed by it. I just wanted to know how many girls get asked for hugs and don't want to give it.

Members don't see this ad :)
She sounds like a really nice lady!

Why do you think this is a one-way street? I've been asked for hugs from people I don't know well, etc.; I don't normally mind. It's rude, impolite, awkward and just plain weird to refuse, unless there's some sort of legitimate reason, such as one of you being sick.

Why is she repulsed by it? Because he's old? That's awful.

Why do you think this is a one-way street? I've been asked for hugs from people I don't know well, etc.; I don't normally mind. It's rude, impolite, awkward and just plain weird to refuse, unless there's some sort of legitimate reason, such as one of you being sick.

I think it's because the guy doesn't just want a hug from her.....and it's just awkward...have you ever though that the WAY he hugs her is what repulsed her?

I think it's because the guy doesn't just want a hug from her.....and it's just awkward...have you ever though that the WAY he hugs her is what repulsed her?

It's not that the thought hasn't occurred to me, it's that the OP hasn't said anything to that effect so it's not my place to assume that's the case. I'm going off what I'm told here and don't want to be presumptuous.

If it's of a clearly inappropriate nature then this is an entirely different discussion altogether. There's no reason why people should have to endure that, regardless of gender.

Totally depends on the type of hug.

No, just generally you don't give hugs to people you don't know. Its like that old guy with one tooth on Family Guy. I've dropped off some stuff there too; its just that strange feeling you get when someone is creepy. The girl I work with doesn't refuse, she's really nice; like you said, it'd be awkward if she didn't. Anyway, I just thought the picture was funny.

Last edited:
It's not that the thought hasn't occurred to me, it's that the OP hasn't said anything to that effect so it's not my place to assume that's the case. I'm going off what I'm told here and don't want to be presumptuous.

If it's of an inappropriate nature then this is an entirely different discussion altogether. There's no reason why people should have to endure that, regardless of gender.

Exactly lol. The only reason I didn't think of it in any way as being rude is because of the creepiness of the picture...idk just looks like that man has some ulterior motives HAHA

No, just generally you don't give hugs to people you don't know. Its like that old guy with one tooth on Family Guy. I've dropped off some stuff there too; its just that strange feeling you get when someone is creepy to has an other motives. The girl I work with doesn't refuse, she's really nice; like you said, it'd be awkward if she did.

Haha, this thread is hilarious. Maybe she could start coughing every time he came near her?

No, just generally you don't give hugs to people you don't know. Its like that old guy with one tooth on Family Guy. I've dropped off some stuff there too; its just that strange feeling you get when someone is creepy. The girl I work with doesn't refuse, she's really nice; like you said, it'd be awkward if she didn't. Anyway, I just thought the picture was funny.

Ah. Sorry that I misunderstood earlier. I didn't mean to call your friend rude; I suppose it just sounded like she was weirded out just because he was old. I hate it when people are like that. :oops:

IMHO, if she's honestly bothered by it, the first thing she should try is to avoid contact with the dentist when she arrives; drop off stuff with the receptionist or an assistant and get outta dodge. If that's not possible (or he's clearly seeking her attention whenever she arrives) she should take him aside if he's free and speak to him honestly and frankly; no need to embarrass him in front of anyone. The fact that he's in his own practice with his own patients means he'll be more receptive and professional in responding to her request. Sure, it's awkward to refuse at the very moment someone tries to hug you, but if you're honest and private about it by taking them aside, there's no embarrassment, IMO. Don't make it a "no means no" sort of thing; just emphasize that she's here to do her job and is less than comfortable with giving hugs to people she sees when she's on the clock. Nothing wrong with that.

Ah. Sorry that I misunderstood earlier. I didn't mean to call your friend rude; I suppose it just sounded like she was weirded out just because he was old. I hate it when people are like that. :oops:

IMHO, if she's honestly bothered by it, the first thing she should try is to avoid contact with the dentist when she arrives; drop off stuff with the receptionist and get outta dodge. If that doesn't work out (or he's clearly seeking her attention whenever she arrives) she should take him aside if he's free and speak to him honestly and frankly; no need to embarrass him in front of anyone. The fact that he's in his own practice with his own patients means he'll be more receptive and professional in responding to her request. Sure, it's awkward to refuse at the very moment someone tries to hug you, but if you're honest and private about it by taking them aside, there's no embarrassment, IMO. Don't make it a "no means no" sort of thing; just emphasize that she's here to do her job and is less than comfortable with giving hugs to people she sees when she's on the clock. Nothing wrong with that.

LOL, thats the funny part. He's a one man show. Sometimes he's the only one in his office. His receptionist is part time, I believe. And when I call and he picks up, I know he's going to ask her for a hug. Me and her think its funny and I tease her about it; we both think its kind of funny and feel a little sorry for this guy.

He's a new client of ours, if six months is new; I don't know how long he's been there or why I've never seen any of his dental assistants when I get there. This practice is not like any other practice I've ever been to.

LOL, thats the funny part. He's a one man show. Sometimes he's the only one in his office. His receptionist is part time, I believe. And when I call and he picks up, I know its he's going to ask her for a hug. Me and her think its funny and I tease her about it; we both think its kind of funny and feel a little sorry for this guy.

He's a new client of ours; I don't know how long he's been there or why I've never seen any of his dental assistants when I get there. This practice is not like any other practice I've ever been to.

I think there might be some insight here into why he can't hire any receptionists, assistants or hygienists. :p

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0FfCJ9M0hE[/YOUTUBE]

There are many alternatives to the hug.... however i must say i am partial to the bro hug double back tap combo. :thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0FfCJ9M0hE[/YOUTUBE]

There are many alternatives to the hug.... however i must say i am partial to the bro hug double back tap combo. :thumbup:

LOLOLOL gotta love men :love: