How many languages do u know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*TRINITY*

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know English and Hindi and smattering of Punjabi and Marathi. How many languages do u know?

Members don't see this ad.

English,Urdu,Hindi,Sanskrit(flunked most tests),Arabic,Tamil.So tats 6...

I can read write and speak fluently: English, Hindi, Marathi

Speak Fluently: Urdu

Functional speaking/writing: Spanish (most of my patients speak spanish only)

Understand and Speak broken: Konkani, Gujrati (third official language in the United States)

I used to know a little bit of Arabic. I can only write/ do calligraphy in it. I am pissed at myself for not having kept up with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fluent in :Marathi and Hindi (i can speak excellent hindi like native hindi speakers, no puneri hindithough :p )

I also know: English, Sanskrit

I can understand and read: Gujarati

I can read: Bengali

english
malayalam
hindi - just enuf 2 get by

1-English- full
2-Gujarati- full
3-Hindi- full
4-Sanskrit- full
5-Punjabi- can talk and understand, but can't read or write
6-German- can read and talk but not much
7-Dumb Charades

I can teach you German- but you have to offer me a beer for that, and if I am drunk enough- I can teach you almost Any language on this earth!

English..duh.....Konkani, conversational French, & conversational Japanese.

DrGarfield said:
if I am drunk enough- I can teach you almost Any language on this earth!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shardul said:
I'm fluent in :Marathi and Hindi (i can speak excellent hindi like native hindi speakers, no puneri hindithough :p )

:laugh: :laugh: i have heard some of that Puneri hindi, its so rude and funny! btw its suprising u havent added urdu to the list since every good hindi speaker knows urdu for all practical purpose!

AMMD said:
I can only write/ do calligraphy in it. I am pissed at myself for not having kept up with it.

thats just awesome!

hey trinity - how come you don't know kashmiri? tse chukh na koshur?

i know hindi/urdu, kashmiri and english fluently

i can get by (conversational language) in punjabi and spanish.

namaskar, khuda hafiz, bye, sat sri akaal, adios!

English
Spanish- not quite fluent, but quite proficient
Mandarin Chinese- "can get around"
German & French- "can almost get around"
Urdu/Pashtu/Arabic/Japanese/Russian- I know a few phrases

I love learning languages. I'm actually going to China soon to work with some researchers in opthamology, but with primary intentions of learning Mandarin x 6 months.

Seems like most here are Desi (...hense the India forum right), and were brought up with these skills- lucky bastards.
Ever try immersion for a few months?

i like the "can get around"...i can see you using your hands, quoting away.

Members don't see this ad :)
*TRINITY* said:
I know English and Hindi and smattering of Punjabi and Marathi. How many languages do u know?
I know...Punjabi,English,Hindi .......
Can manage...Kannada......
Can read and understand Sanskrit.
I know Harayanvi and Rajasthaani......

*TRINITY* said:
:laugh: :laugh: i have heard some of that Puneri hindi, its so rude and funny! btw its suprising u havent added urdu to the list since every good hindi speaker knows urdu for all practical purpose!

yeah quite true but when i watched Mughal - e - Azam couldnt quite grasp many dialogues so I guess I'm pretty bad at Urdu. anyway i can understand urdu news they broadcast on all india radio!

Can speak, read n write-- Kannada, Hindi, Telugu, English
Can understand n speak a bit- tamil

hey meetlife, nice to know that u speak kannda.. :)

bhuvi said:

I didn't know Canada had its own language, I thought it was only English and French;)

I'll add my 2 cents:

English
Pashto
Dari

Shardul what do you mean by "Puneri hindi". We punekars cannot speak Hindi at all! So Puneri hindi does not exist at all. :p :p

I can speak,read and write English and Marathi, understand Hindi(And may be hence Urdu?), can understand some of Gujrathi.

By the way, I thought Telgu was the 2nd language of the Software people in the US, after C++ :D

BDS-DMD said:
Shardul what do you mean by "Puneri hindi". We punekars cannot speak Hindi at all! So Puneri hindi does not exist at all. :p :p

:laugh: :laugh: ha jhaala typical puneri palaayanwad! :p

@trinity:

i can speak, write and read Marathi, hindi and english (offcourse in the order of fluency ;) )

I Can Speak
1)hindi
2)urdu
3)marathi
4)gujrati
5)punjabi(due To Those Punjabi Rap Songs)
6)bhojpuri(due To Lalu And Up Bihari Log In Mumbai :hungover: )
7)francais(regarder Ma Je Peux Parler Francais)

Can Speak fluent Kashmiri, English and Japanese :thumbup:
I gotta start learning Hindi although I understand most of it! :idea:

montesi_formula said:
I Can Speak
1)hindi
2)urdu
3)marathi
4)gujrati
5)punjabi(due To Those Punjabi Rap Songs)
6)bhojpuri(due To Lalu And Up Bihari Log In Mumbai :hungover: )
7)francais(regarder Ma Je Peux Parler Francais)

french .. like "Je m'appelle Claude" or "Je thapli blue" :laugh:

bhuvi said:

All I can speak is Dental Kannada.

BDS-DMD said:

I can speak,read and write English and Marathi, understand Hindi(And may be hence Urdu?), can understand some of Gujrathi.

By the way, I thought Telgu was the 2nd language of the Software people in the US, after C++ :D

Knowing Hindi does not mean you can understand urdu.It is a difficult language.My grandfather used to do poetry in urdu.But to me its just...ae ..be ..te....

to be honest, most indians (esp north indians) do not speak Hindi. we speak Hindustani (which is a mix of urdu and hindi). that's why the other guy was saying (hence, urdu). shudh hindi is just as difficult to understand as urdu.

1. Punjabi
2. English
3. Hindi
4. Spanish