How many languages is ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StormingWynn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have this obsession over languages. I know, besides English, Spanish, French and I can understand Portuguese and Italian (mainly due to the similarities to Spanish and French). I want to learn Japanese, Chinese, maybe German and Russian, also maybe. I'm currently becoming fluent in French, but I want to start to learn Japanese. Would you guys recommend against learning 2 languages at the same time? I could even start learning 3 at the same time. Also, not that I want to look good in the eyes of AdComs, but would it look good? I genuinely have interest in languages and cultures. I want to study abroad in France and Japan.

Members don't see this ad.

I like you as a person/account on SDN. but if you have to ask this question on SDN, I do suggest that you go talk to real life friends instead :D

Theres no limit on language acquisition.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have this obsession over languages. I know, besides English, Spanish, French and I can understand Portuguese and Italian (mainly due to the similarities to Spanish and French). I want to learn Japanese, Chinese, maybe German and Russian, also maybe. I'm currently becoming fluent in French, but I want to start to learn Japanese. Would you guys recommend against learning 2 languages at the same time? I could even start learning 3 at the same time. Also, not that I want to look good in the eyes of AdComs, but would it look good? I genuinely have interest in languages and cultures. I want to study abroad in France and Japan.

You have to be careful listing languages on apps/resumes. Listing ones you aren't good at is a nice way to blow interviews if someone decides to call you on it (and I did have an interviewer ask me a question in a language I listed so this isn't just SDN lore).

As far learning multiple ones at once, I would lean towards concentrating on one at a time until your fairly good at it. But that's just my opinion.

Only one and that language is American.

Remember that with Japanese, Chinese, and Russian in addition to dealing with new grammar, new vocabulary, and new sounds, you will also be dealing with new syllabaries, character sets, and one new alphabet. It's all well and good if you want to become acquainted with how each differs, but they're not all that useful to you unless you can converse appreciably in each of them.

I like you as a person/account on SDN. but if you have to ask this question on SDN, I do suggest that you go talk to real life friends instead :D

Theres no limit on language acquisition.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I came here to ask whether it would be wise to do so as a Pre-Med. I don't ask friends, well, because I don't have Pre-Med friends. I just don't get along with them very much and I mostly refrain from mentioning to people that I'm a Pre-Med.

worry about getting into med school first.....:laugh:

Yeah :D

You have to be careful listing languages on apps/resumes. Listing ones you aren't good at is a nice way to blow interviews if someone decides to call you on it (and I did have an interviewer ask me a question in a language I listed so this isn't just SDN lore).

As far learning multiple ones at once, I would lean towards concentrating on one at a time until your fairly good at it. But that's just my opinion.

Ah, I'm most likely be completely fluent in French and I'm already fluent in Spanish since I'm a native speaker. Those are the only 2 foreign languages I will list on my Apps.

Remember that with Japanese, Chinese, and Russian in addition to dealing with new grammar, new vocabulary, and new sounds, you will also be dealing with new syllabaries, character sets, and one new alphabet. It's all well and good if you want to become acquainted with how each differs, but they're not all that useful to you unless you can converse appreciably in each of them.

Yeah, that's what I love about those languages. It'll challenge me. I'm not learning them for the money prospect, I'm learning them because I want to learn them. You know? I've already started to learn the Kana of Japanese. :)

Yeah, that's what I love about those languages. It'll challenge me. I'm not learning them for the money prospect, I'm learning them because I want to learn them. You know? I've already started to learn the Kana of Japanese. :)

Money? Who said anything about money? What I'm saying is that it might take you a lot more time and effort than you're expecting to become conversant in just one of those to any level of practical usability, especially when you have so many other commitments.

Lemme know if you need any help with the Japanese.:)

Money? Who said anything about money? What I'm saying is that it might take you a lot more time and effort than you're expecting to become conversant in just one of those to any level of practical usability, especially when you have so many other commitments.

Lemme know if you need any help with the Japanese.:)

Sweet, thanks! Oh and the money thing, I meant I'm not learning them to get ahead in the game. Get what I'm saying?

Wow so weird....I've been obsessed with languages since I Was a kid. I also am fluent in Spanish french and know italian and Portugese....im currently learning German and Mandarin....Russian is a prospect when i am older though...

like i said...WEIRD!

Languages are cool. I wish I had the time and talent to learn that many. Forget about learning Japanese and Russian, I already have trouble with English sometimes! I can't imagine learning it as a second language with all of the exceptions in grammar and everything. I mean, people who were born in the US and lived here all their lives don't even know the rules!

Only one and that language is American.

:laugh:

I'm pretty sure someone who knows that many languages probably doesn't have any friends to even speak in their own native language. There comes a point in an application where someone goes from being impressive to being a potential whack-job. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't be that person that knows 20 languages with no one to speak to. That would be very ironic in a very sad and depressing way. :(

I hear that if you're moderately proficient or better in more than 3 languages, your application will be scrapped. Med schools will think you're more interested in linguistics than medicine and count you out.

Sure, if you can still fit in all your pre-reqs while doing it why not? It makes you unique.

I'm pretty sure someone who knows that many languages probably doesn't have any friends to even speak in their own native language. There comes a point in an application where someone goes from being impressive to being a potential whack-job. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't be that person that knows 20 languages with no one to speak to. That would be very ironic in a very sad and depressing way. :(

In case you didn't know, my parents mainly speak Spanish so in my house everyone speaks Spanish. I've been speaking Spanish before English and I go to Mexico and USE Spanish. I have tons of Spanish speaking friends and we communicate in Spanish about half the time. My entire extended Family prefers to communicate in Spanish when united. All my aunts and uncles have told me that out of all the cousins, I'm the most proficient and I don't have the slightest accent. When I go to Mexico, I fit right in and no one can even notice that I'm from the US. I use French occasionally as well. Especially in school. I communicate with fellow classmates in French.

I hear that if you're moderately proficient or better in more than 3 languages, your application will be scrapped. Med schools will think you're more interested in linguistics than medicine and count you out.

Hehe, I'll only be listing 2 foreign languages on my Apps. XP

Wow so weird....I've been obsessed with languages since I Was a kid. I also am fluent in Spanish french and know italian and Portugese....im currently learning German and Mandarin....Russian is a prospect when i am older though...

like i said...WEIRD!

Awesome! :thumbup: and I know huh, WEIRD!