How Many Letters for Cardiology Fellowship Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rahul0774

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the process of applying right now. Looking at various programs' websites, it looks like most want 3 letters (including the PD letter). I have 3 letters from Cardiologists and am wondering if submitting 4 (3 cards + 1 PD) would be frowned upon for programs asking for just 3 letters (is that a hard cut-off)? Thanks!
 
If they strictly said 3 then submit 3
If they don’t have a strict LOR requirement then submit 4
 
Ive asked two dif PCs and if they mention 3 on their website it is the minimum of LOR. The other PC expected four. Everyone I asked submitted four. I will be submitting four.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Program will not punish you for submitting 4.
Programs who want three won’t give you more credit for submitting 4.
Some applicants submit a research letter which is ok. don’t submit to community program which has zero research interest.
4 clinical letters may be too much.
 
To start this thread over, if applying to Cards fellowship, how many letters should be from a cardiologist? I assume 1, but do programs want more than this? For ex, is 2 IM letters and 1 cards letter ok?
I have 2 strong IM letters I would like to use, which is why I am asking. thanks.
 
To start this thread over, if applying to Cards fellowship, how many letters should be from a cardiologist? I assume 1, but do programs want more than this? For ex, is 2 IM letters and 1 cards letter ok?
I have 2 strong IM letters I would like to use, which is why I am asking. thanks.
I would get as many cardiology letters as I can. I had 3 cardiologists and my IM PD write my letters. Had 11 interviews total out of 50 programs.
Best is to obtain a letter from a cardiologist who is well-known and respected, but more important if it is someone who knows you very well and can write a strong letter for you.
 
1 lor from pd.
At least one letter from a cardiologist if submitting 3.
If 4 then should strive to have 2 because it’s def weird to have three letters from non cardiologist

But I agree that by the end of day best to have letters from whoever knows you the best.