How many letters of recommendation are too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFO-IST

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so I applied to schools with 6 letters of rec. I now have two graduates to a school i'm applying to who want to write me letters. Should I have both of them write the letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Quality > Quantity.

In my opinion (others may disagree) I think anything over the required number is excessive unless you have some special circumstances to explain. 6 is already a lot. If these letters are going to add something to your application that's one thing. If all it's going to do is add pages that say the same thing as your other 6 letters it's probably just going to be looked at as extra paperwork.

hey so I applied to schools with 6 letters of rec. I now have two graduates to a school i'm applying to who want to write me letters. Should I have both of them write the letters?
yo u already applied with 6 and wanna add 2 more in December? will that even be accepted if you are already complete at these schools? 6 is already on the too many side. 7-8 in December is NO