How many letters of recommendation is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letters of recommendation is too many? I've already had several doctors (maybe 8 or 9) offer to write me LOR's (without my asking), so what do I do? Do I take all of them up on their offers? If not, how do you politely tell them you don't need their help?

Members don't see this ad.

Praetorian said:
How many letters of recommendation is too many? I've already had several doctors (maybe 8 or 9) offer to write me LOR's (without my asking), so what do I do? Do I take all of them up on their offers? If not, how do you politely tell them you don't need their help?

I think most schools have a maximum limit of 5 or 6. If a school doesn't specifically state its maximum, I wouldn't go over 6.

That's pretty convenient! Well...you could either just not bring it up to some of them(all eight can't be on your back saying LET ME WRITE YOU A LETTER OMG PRAETORIAN IS TEH S3><!!!), and get around 4-6 total. I know my school actually has a limit of seven, but personally like airflare mentioned I'd probably keep it to around five.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend only 1-2 from physicians (that know you well)... I think most of your letters should be from your classroom professors. I also suggest having one from research, and maybe one from your community involvment. Thats what I did, I think it gives you a rounded set of LORs. Good luck!

I think what I'm going to do is this:
1 from science prof
1 from languages prof
1 from FP doc
1 from the EM doc who is working with me on a research project
1 from my fire chief
1 from the psychology professor who is working with me on another research project

Praetorian said:
1 from science prof
1 from languages prof
1 from FP doc
1 from my fire chief
1 from the psychology professor who is working with me on another research project

That looks really good :thumbup:

DaMota said:
turkey go to sleep
-mota
Hahah, did you?

I took a nice long nap when I got home --> I feel like a million bucks right now. How'd your tests go?

Praetorian said:
1 from science prof
1 from languages prof
1 from FP doc
1 from my fire chief

I know some schools require 2 science letters, so just have another one in mind. Otherwise, I think you're set! Good luck!!!!

Have them all write letters and choose from the best that they allow you to read.

Turkeyman said:
Hahah, did you?

I took a nice long nap when I got home --> I feel like a million bucks right now. How'd your tests go?

first one, i rocked. the ochem quiz however...i put the same answer for all of my questions. kinda bad. right now i am sitting in a class called transitions to democracy drinking wine. i'm pretty sure the prof has no idea but i gave some to some kids sitting next to me, so we're all sitting here chugging out of plastic cups. might be kinda obvious. or not. whatever, made some new friends. and i'm druuuunk. and ready for that nap.
-mota

i kinda have to piss too. ok sorry, back to LORs. :sleep:
-mota

Hahaha whaaa? Wine in class? Dunno how you're pulling that off...slickness.

I haven't been cool enough to imbibe while in class . . . but I am writing a lab report while tipsy from a Martini if that counts for something . . .

I made a similar mistake when getting my LORs - many schools require very specific people write the letters, so to be safe, make sure you have at least TWO science profs, one non science prof, and one prof from your major.

Fill out the remainder with a few from physicians / fire chiefs / PIs, and you will be golden. I had nine letters in my letter service file, and would select 5 or 6 to send to each school depending on their specific requirements. Good luck!

Dakota said:
I haven't been cool enough to imbibe while in class . . . but I am writing a lab report while tipsy from a Martini if that counts for something . . .
I was drinking UV Green (60 proof vodka) with apple juice while writing my 5-page lab report two nights ago.

Confucius says, the real question is: How many LORs are too few?

......something to think about. ;)

Ok...now I have a question about LOR's.

If you took Bio your freshman, were really cool with him/her, do you ask after the semester is about to end for the LOR, since you are in their class or do you ask later down the road around junior year for it.

I was thinking, if you don't ask for it after the semester is over, wouldn't you have to keep in touch for a whole 'nother year, when you could be doing something else. :eek: Or can you just tell them, "Would you mind if you could write a strong letter of rec. for me a little later?". I'm confused. Help. :smuggrin:

minah86 said:
Ok...now I have a question about LOR's.

If you took Bio your freshman, were really cool with him/her, do you ask after the semester is about to end for the LOR, since you are in their class or do you ask later down the road around junior year for it.

I was thinking, if you don't ask for it after the semester is over, wouldn't you have to keep in touch for a whole 'nother year, when you could be doing something else. :eek: Or can you just tell them, "Would you mind if you could write a strong letter of rec. for me a little later?". I'm confused. Help. :smuggrin:
Well, getting it now (freshman) might be a bit early (making your letter "old" by the time you need it. Either ask them if they'll wright one in the future, and start visiting them again junior year before you really ask for it, or see about TAing the class some time in the future, getting you an even better LOR and experience to put on AMCAS.

Definitely get two science letters - youll need them.