How many LOR from science professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letter of recommendation are you guys getting from your science professors? I know most schools only require two but can we send more than two? I have asked three already but not sure if they will get it done on time or what they will say about me, positive or negative. I know them pretty well academically but not socially. I am thinking about asking for another one. I have taken both of his upper level science courses and received A's in both, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology. I'm definitely stopping at 4. I also have a pre-med committee letter that will be done, sadly, in September. That is the reason why I want to get LORs from science professors to get my application rolling and then send the LOR from the premed committee as an update. I might take that opportunity to send in a letter of intention at that time also. How does this look?

Are there any schools, DO, out there that requires a letter from a nonscience professor? I couldn't find any on the aacomas homepage.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDocDO said:
How many letter of recommendation are you guys getting from your science professors? I know most schools only require two but can we send more than two? I have asked three already but not sure if they will get it done on time or what they will say about me, positive or negative. I know them pretty well academically but not socially. I am thinking about asking for another one. I have taken both of his upper level science courses and received A's in both, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology. I'm definitely stopping at 4. I also have a pre-med committee letter that will be done, sadly, in September. That is the reason why I want to get LORs from science professors to get my application rolling and then send the LOR from the premed committee as an update. I might take that opportunity to send in a letter of intention at that time also. How does this look?

Are there any schools, DO, out there that requires a letter from a nonscience professor? I couldn't find any on the aacomas homepage.

Thanks!
I think your ideas are fine. That fourth letter sounds like it would be worth getting. Any more than 4 LOR from science is probably unneccessary. Most likely only 2 will make there way to schools. The others of course being from a physician and possibly employers.
You might not even have to bother with the committee letter at all. See how things materialize this Fall.
I don't think I really helped you any...although I don't really think you needed any to begin with

I was questioning this when I was going through the process. I had a committee letter as well and I asked my advisor about getting some faculty that I knew very well (who weren't on the committee) to write me an LOR. She said there wasn't any need b/c I guess the way our committee works is that all faculty (committee or non-committee) can submit statements about the applicant and then the committee letter is one cohesive letter of everyone's ideas. She basically said it would be overkill... not to mention she said that with the profs obviously knowing we had a committee they might wonder why they're being asked to write something individually... oh well.. i don't know how your school works with their committee, but I just sent their letter, my DO shadow letter, a letter from a prof I had taken a graduate class from (at another school) and from my volunteer experiences.

With the timing of the committee letter, I feel your pain. I had some app that needed the LOR from the school ridiculously early in the application cycle and I made a point to let my advisor know that. I had to email her about some other random application question the day after that one letter was due (which was months before the other ones were for some reason) and she wrote me back with the answer and to let me know that my LOR was almost complete!! :eek: Yeah, my jaw dropped as I called her letting her know that she had missed the deadline on one of my apps. She wrote/called the school to let them know it was completely her fault.. but yeah... didn't hear back from them...

Anyway, check your school's policy and procedures for their committee letters and see what your advisor thinks about it (altho they're not always the most reliable people in the world)

Good luck on your apps!!

-JMCarpenter

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my school's premed committee if I could get it earlier than September and was told only if I apply EDP. I didn't want to lie so I said no. Anyway, I know most schools start interviewing in early September so I'm going to get letters from other science professors that are not on the committee, including one from a community college.

Thanks for the advice, you too MX 599. I think I will try to get that fourth letter. It costs so much money I'd tell yah! I offered to give each of them 22 prestamped envelopes (yes, I applied to 22 schools) and also to my DO who's writing me one. So, 22 x 5 = 110 x $0.37 = $40.70 !!!

I wanted to get all my bases covered, so I got recs from the following people:

biochem prof
english prof
english TA
doctor who I did a lab internship with
doctor who i shadowed

I was told by my advising committee that I should get recs from at least 1 science professor, which is what I did. Ultimately you should get recs from people that worked closely with you and who know you and try to vary the types of people you get recs from.

FutureDocDO said:

Thanks!

hey FutureDOC, this story sound familiar. What under grad are you at?