How many LORs do I need and the breakdown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can you tell me how many LORs I need and the breakdown--is it 3 academic, one clinical?

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

No more than 6 ever, even if you have 7 or 8 GREAT ones. NEVER more than 6. That comes right from the mouth of at least 3 med school adcoms I have spoken to.

Schools vary with what they want. Some want science profs and non science, some want 2 profs and whoever else you want to send. It will really depend on the school. Perhaps you could post what schools you are applying to and people who applied there could tell you the requirements.

I think, to be safe, get 3 science, 1 non science, and at least one outside of school. That should cover everything, or nearly everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure you already know this, but i just met with my pre-med advisor with the same questions and her suggestion was in this order -
- Academic
- Professional
- Clinical (Volunteering/Shadowing etc.)

She said if you have all the of the above then, you may consider a personal family physican who knows you well kinda thing but this is not recommended.

Best,
Scout

seriously, don't be so lazy

How you (the OP) gonna get through med school if you have to have everything told to you?