1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How many LOR's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medstu110, Mar 22, 2004.

1. medstu110

medstu110 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that most schools limit the number of LOR's to something like 5 but how many LOR's should I get to be safe.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

5: 2 science, 1 non-science, physician, employer.

4. spaz

spaz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

to cover the various requirements at each school, you should get 3 letters from profs that have taught you: 2 science + 1 non-science

plus a couple letters from your meaningful extracurricular activities (e.g. research, volunteering, etc.). these are usually not specifically required by med schools, but help give a better picture of you.

some schools, like uc davis or tulane, don't want more than 3 letters or something like that. but in general, you probably wouldn't want to send more than 5 letters to a school.

i also recommend asking 1 more prof than you need letters. e.g. i had one science prof flake out on me, so it was a good thing that i requested letters from 3 science profs.

5. spaz

spaz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey slickness,
    do osteopathic schools require a letter from a physician?

6. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Most do. I had a DO one but at many osteopathic schools an MD one is fine. I also sent my DO recommendation to all MD schools and I still had success with them. In fact at Georgetown my interviewer was a DO so it was an interesting conversation starter. I guess that didn't help me though since I was rejected from Georgetown. :rolleyes:

7. Beth_yu

Beth_yu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

need one from a physician too?!!!

8. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was not aware that schools REQUIRE a lor from a physician. Please provide examples.

9. docjolly

docjolly On Cloud Nine, Once Again
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not all schools require a letter from a physician, but I believe that many recommend that applicants have one..

If you've shadowed a physician in a hospital or even become familiar with one through your volunteer work (such as in an emergency room), then that is the physician from whom you should receive a letter of recommendation...

I don't think that it would be advisable to receive a letter of rec. from your own private doctor or someone in your family who may be a doctor..

10. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

does reference count as a physician?

11. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moms are hella talented like that....she wont tell me how she does it...:scared:

12. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    what happened to NRAI's post? it doesnt make sense

13. spaz

spaz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

not sure what happened to this thread... another glitch in the matrix i suppose?

anyway, unless you're applying to osteopathic schools, don't worry about a letter from a doc.

just make sure to get letters from profs who can attest to your academic abilities, and letters from extracurriculars attesting to your dedicaton/compassion/patience/work ethic/leadership/communication skills/whatever.

14. brats800

brats800 cheesehead
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if your premed advisor collects your LORs for you, are you able to specify which ones go to which medschool? like if i had a LOR from a prof at one school and wanted it included in that school's packet but send a different LOR to another school, does that work?

also, would it be good to have the physician LOR be from a physician affiliated with the school you are applying to? or does it not really matter?

15. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    if your school has a premed committee, most med schools will want the composite (committee) letter in lieu of individual recommendations [adcoms know which schools have committees]. if you have a committee letter, you probably won't need to send in more than one or two letters.

and please please please

i've read hundreds of useless LORs. make sure whoever is writing you a letter
    1) knows you well, and
    2) can agree to write you a STRONG letter of recommendation. When looking for recommenders you need to ask them point blank whether or not they can write you a strong letter. If not, then move on.

Don't just ask for a letter cuz you got an A in the course. Here is what that letter looks like:

Committee on Admissions:

Mr. Smith is applying for a position in your medical school. He was a student in my advanced organic chemistry class with an average of 97 and ranked number 1 out of 27 students. He earned an A in the course. I recommend him highly for a position in your school.

Sincerely,
    Bunsen Honeydew

an LOR has to be a good sales pitch.