How many MD/PhD programs are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CielloStelatto

Non-member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I've applied to 9.

Really, I feel like a lot of md/phd applicants are lurking this year. Where is everyone?

So if you're out there, where are you applying?

Here's me:
U MN
U Iowa
Mayo
U wisconsin
medical college of wisconsin
loyola
u chicago
u illinois
northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Finally submitted my primary. It was tempting to just keep adding schools, but I eventually settled on 15.

NYU
Stanford
UMich
WashU
UWash
UMN
UNC
UAB
UColorado
UIowa
UPenn
UPitt
UWisc
Vanderbilt
UIlli

Probably overdid it, but we'll see how things go.

I ended up applying to 23 MD/PhD programs. I'm not sure if this is the correct perspective, but I figured if I'm going to spend 7+ years of my life at a school, it had better have an excellent BME program (my PhD interest). The other option would be acceptance to a cheap (read in-state, California) MD program where I could apply for the MST program during my first year. With that said, here are my schools (in order of least likely to be accepted by GPA):

1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. Stanford
5. Duke
6. UC Los Angeles
7. Yale
8. Columbia
9. UC San Diego
10. University of Chicago (Pritkzer)
11. Cornell
12. Northwestern
13. Mount Sinai
14. USC
15. University of Colorado – Denver
16. Brown University
17. Dartmouth
18. New York
19. OHSU
20. Georgetown
21. UC Irvine
22. UC Davis
23. Boston University

What do you guys think about these school choices?

I only have 3.68 cGPA (3.69 sGPA) but I was a triple-major in four years (Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics, and Biology). I also have 2 publications (1 third author [peer-reviewed], 1 first author [in my undergrad. univ. journal]). I read the FAQ about "What are my chances for MD/PhD?" but any advice would be appreciated. I will not receive my MCAT score back until July 21st. It's going to be between 32 and 37.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about getting in, but i'd say you should definitely have good enough stats to get you interviews at a number of those schools. from then on, it sounds like it's mostly proving your worth, knowing your research, etc.. good luck!

I'm definitely lurking! Also applying to a combination of MD and MD/PhD programs. Here's my MD/PhD list.

Iowa
Michigan
Chicago
Northwestern
Alabama
Columbia
UPenn
Emory
Hopkins
UCLA
Case Western
University of Pittsburgh
Yale
University of Wisconsin
VCU
University of Washington

I'll add mine to the list as well. I stopped at 20 (all MD/PhD).

WashU
Michigan
Penn
Pitt
Vanderbilt
Emory
Mayo
UMN
UIC
Cinci
Case
Ohio State
VCU
UNC
UAB
UVA
SLU
Maryland
Wisconsin
Rochester

Good luck everyone!

Here's my pre-MCAT score list. I'm going to add some either good or bad once I get my score in the 21st. Ok2Panic, why did you also apply to MD programs? Or what will you say if asked about that in an interview? Was it just because MD/PhD are harder to get into?

Yale University School of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Stony Brook University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles
Temple University School of Medicine
Saint-Louis University
The Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin U-Med & Sci State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Boston University
Tulane University School of Medicine

ok, i'll hazard a post. I've got 20 too, 19 MSTPs.

Chicago
Northwestern
Loyola (MD only)
Iowa
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
WashU
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Pittsburgh
Tri-I
Vandy
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Stanford
OHSU
UWashington

All of us with this pile of schools have our work cut out for us in the form of a corresponding pile of secondaries, but hopefully it'll all work out ok :xf:

You need to make a few changes.

Get rid of Cornell and Chicago; they don't have BME programs associated with the MD/PhD program. I would double check all of the UC schools to verify that their MD/PhD programs allow you to do BME.

Consider UVA as a program to add. Also UIC if your MCAT is on the lower end of your range. If your MCAT is on the higher end, then consider adding WashU, U of Washington, and, Michigan.

I ended up applying to 23 MD/PhD programs. I'm not sure if this is the correct perspective, but I figured if I'm going to spend 7+ years of my life at a school, it had better have an excellent BME program (my PhD interest). The other option would be acceptance to a cheap (read in-state, California) MD program where I could apply for the MST program during my first year. With that said, here are my schools (in order of least likely to be accepted by GPA):

1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. Stanford
5. Duke
6. UC Los Angeles
7. Yale
8. Columbia
9. UC San Diego
10. University of Chicago (Pritkzer)
11. Cornell
12. Northwestern
13. Mount Sinai
14. USC
15. University of Colorado – Denver
16. Brown University
17. Dartmouth
18. New York
19. OHSU
20. Georgetown
21. UC Irvine
22. UC Davis
23. Boston University

What do you guys think about these school choices?

I only have 3.68 cGPA (3.69 sGPA) but I was a triple-major in four years (Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics, and Biology). I also have 2 publications (1 third author [peer-reviewed], 1 first author [in my undergrad. univ. journal]). I read the FAQ about "What are my chances for MD/PhD?" but any advice would be appreciated. I will not receive my MCAT score back until July 21st. It's going to be between 32 and 37.

You need to make a few changes.

Get rid of Cornell and Chicago; they don't have BME programs associated with the MD/PhD program. I would double check all of the UC schools to verify that their MD/PhD programs allow you to do BME.

Consider UVA as a program to add. Also UIC if your MCAT is on the lower end of your range. If your MCAT is on the higher end, then consider adding WashU, U of Washington, and, Michigan.

Really? I'm shocked to hear that Cornell doesn't have BME associated with its MD/PhD program. My advisor completed his undergraduate there and he said that they have an outstanding graduate BME program. I'll remove Chicago, thanks for the advice!

Not all MSTPs are BME friendly. Relatively few are in fact, and even at those programs BME tends to be more competitive for the limited spots.

Last I heard, UCSF wasn't allowing BME as well. You should do your internet research as much as possible on this to avoid wasting money. Penn does take BME students--you should consider adding them.

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU does have a good BME program...but this is the first year MD/PhD students have been allowed to train in that department. That means that if you are looking for a lab with experience handling MD/PhD students, or a program with a good idea of what your requirements will be like, you probably won't find it here.

I'm not sure how important those factors are to you, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Really? I'm shocked to hear that Cornell doesn't have BME associated with its MD/PhD program. My advisor completed his undergraduate there and he said that they have an outstanding graduate BME program. I'll remove Chicago, thanks for the advice!

Cornell has a great BME program. Unfortunately it's 227 miles away and 4-5 hours by car depending on traffic, so you can't do your phd in BME.

You join the Weill Graduate School, which offers Biochemistry & Structural Biology; Cell Biology and Genetics; Immunology; Molecular Biology; Neuroscience; Pharmacology; Physiology, Biophysics & Molecular Medicine.

If you don't believe me, then call them. It's possible that they may have changed this since last year, but i doubt it.

There have to be more md/phd applicants out there on sdn. Where are you?

Yeah I've mostly been lurking as well. Here's my list:

Boston University
Tufts
Mt. Sinai
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Northwestern
Loyola
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
UT Southwestern
UT Houston
Baylor
U of Washington
UCSF

That's 18 total. I might add a couple more to get to an even 20, but I think I've got a really good shot at more than half of those schools, and one acceptance is all I need. :D

Emory Baylor Case Western Columbia UCLA
JHU
Northwestern Stanford UCSD UCSF UCD uva
U Iowa Uni of Michigan Uni of Penn Uni of pitt uni of wisconsin utsw vanderbilt wash u cornell

We are pretty close.

Submitted:
Mayo
Columbia
Case
Penn
Pitt
Mich
Wash U
Duke
UNC
Iowa
Nebraska
Arkansas
Colorado
Northwestern
UCSD
UCSF
Cornell
Vandy
Wisconsin (city is a cyclists dream...)

Secondaries have been on slight hold the last few weeks because of lab, but its game on now. My list is much more based on my research interests and potential faculty; whittle down the med school specifics *if I interview.

I just have a few state schools--four to be specific--for now and will wait for my August MCAT to add more.

neuronix scared them away

lol

where-is-your-god-now-preview.jpg

I wish compulsively checking my AMCAS status got me verified faster.

I'm applying to 20, and I just finished the secondary for number 13. Once I get Johns Hopkins and Duke done, I'll be finished until some more come in.

I'm applying to 20, and I just finished the secondary for number 13. Once I get Johns Hopkins and Duke done, I'll be finished until some more come in.

congrats, you're a machine!

Applied to 18, all MD-PhD:

UPenn
Harvard-MIT
WashU
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
Stanford
Yale
U of Washington
Duke
Columbia
Michigan
UChicago
Pittsburgh
Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
Albert Einstein
Stony Brook

Recently submitted AMCAS; just starting secondaries and feeling quite daunted by what lies ahead. :scared:

Nice to see some other MD/PhD applicants! I'm applying to 19 schools, all MSTP:

Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Stanford
Tufts
UMDNJ
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
UMichigan
UPenn
UWashington
WashU
Weill
Yale

Also, waiting for AMCAS verification, starting to fill out secondaries...

I asked this in the 2009-2010 secondaries thread too, but this one seems more active:

Is everyone just assuming prompts are the same as last year? I'm still waiting for some of my recs to come in before I can submit the primary, so I wanted to begin some secondaries in the meantime.

I asked this in the 2009-2010 secondaries thread too, but this one seems more active:

Is everyone just assuming prompts are the same as last year? I'm still waiting for some of my recs to come in before I can submit the primary, so I wanted to begin some secondaries in the meantime.

Yeah, so far the prompts have been the same for me. I think it's safe to get started on last year's prompts. :)

Yeah I've mostly been lurking as well. Here's my list:

Boston University
Tufts
Mt. Sinai
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Northwestern
Loyola
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU

UT Southwestern
UT Houston
Baylor
U of Washington
UCSF

That's 18 total. I might add a couple more to get to an even 20, but I think I've got a really good shot at more than half of those schools, and one acceptance is all I need. :D

yea i dont know about applying to those schools kiddo

honestly i dont think you will go through with your GWU and Georgetown dual apps. so just switch those to MD only. you have to file 2 different apps for each, and it comes out to around $250 per school and they dont even have big dual degree programs

GWU does NOT have an MD/PhD program, despite what they say. I wasted time and money applying there, only to finally get through to someone and find out that there is ONE person in their "MD/PhD Program", and they do NOT have ANY funding for the "program". Also, there is no way to get credits to cross from the med school to the grad school. Might as well just do the degrees separately at another program.

For a school with such a good reputation, this is pretty sketchy business. GWU angers me, because they are calling it an MD/PhD program, when they mean to say: yes, you can get both an MD and a PhD at our institution. It is NOT the same thing.

:lame: So lame.

One thing that I didn't know when applying was that Boston University does not have a fully funded program. I personally wasn't too impressed when I interviewed (it has been a few years but I heard things haven't changed much). One non-MSTP school that impressed me was Umass. They have what seemed like a well-organized and fully-funded program which is worth checking out if you're looking into schools in the NE that aren't MSTP but still offer what seems like solid training.

yea i dont know about applying to those schools kiddo

GWU angers me, because they are calling it an MD/PhD program, when they mean to say: yes, you can get both an MD and a PhD at our institution. It is NOT the same thing.

Ugh. Why do I not bother to find these things out ahead of time? I'm definitely withdrawing GWU, at least for MD/PhD, and I haven't decided yet about Georgetown, even though I just found out that they're not funded at all for the med school years. Not even tuition remission. Gross. BU doesn't have a stipend for the med school years, but at least you don't pay ridiculous private school tuition.

GWU does NOT have an MD/PhD program, despite what they say. I wasted time and money applying there, only to finally get through to someone and find out that there is ONE person in their "MD/PhD Program", and they do NOT have ANY funding for the "program". Also, there is no way to get credits to cross from the med school to the grad school. Might as well just do the degrees separately at another program.

For a school with such a good reputation, this is pretty sketchy business. GWU angers me, because they are calling it an MD/PhD program, when they mean to say: yes, you can get both an MD and a PhD at our institution. It is NOT the same thing.

:lame: So lame.

I met a guy at the Keystone conference who's doing his PhD with the NIH GPP and his MD with GWU. Not exactly the same, but I think it's paid for.

mine aren't quite as ambitious as all your guys but i'm also pretty limited in where i can apply based on the location

washU
Loyola
Georgetown - though I'm withdrawing after seeing there's no funding. BS
Uchicago
BU
Jefferson
UPenn
Pitt
Case
U Maryland
Northwestern
UConn
Temple
UT Southwestern
Emory
U Colorado

haven't gotten colorado, emory or loyola and all the others are finished except temple