how many med schools did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity to see if this cycle is any dif from any of the past...how many med schools did you apply to? as in sent a primary to

feel free to share stats or other updates regarding secondary, II, A/R #s, completion dates

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sent primary to 29 MD and 13 DO schools. Sent secondary to 28 MD and 10 DO. So far, I’ve gotten 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, 5 rejections, and 3 “holds”.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sent primary to 29 MD and 13 DO schools. Sent secondary to 28 MD and 10 DO. So far, I’ve gotten 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, 5 rejections, and 3 “holds”.

Can I ask what your stats/ECs were like?

Primary sent to 20 schools, received 20 secondaries, completed 15 secondaries.

So far: 3 interviews, 2 pre-interview holds, 1 rejection.

Expecting to back from these interviews sometime in December.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
37 Apps, 2II (1WL), 9R

Complete mid-late July for most schools

TMDSAS: 6 secondaries completed mid-august, 5 IIs

AMCAS: 20 primaries/secondaries received, 17 secondaries completed mid/late September, 4 IIs

Just hanging, still very hopeful

Sent my primary to 33 schools, did all 33 secondaries (completed between early August - early September), received 15 interview invites, 4 acceptances. I have 1 WL and no post-II Rs yet. I didn't count really but I think I have like 3 or 4 pre-II Rs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
1st: 33; 2nd: 32; II: 6; A: 2;
Pre-II Hold: 1; Pre-II R: 6;
Post-II WL: 2; Post-II R: 0;

37 schools, 36 secondaries. So far: 13 IIs, 1 H, 2 Rs, and 1 WL. Complete in September/October.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
43 Schools, 40 Secondaries. 13 II, 2 A, 3 WL, 5 pre-ii R. Complete July/Aug

• Wow
about 36? I have one II and 4 holds so far, waiting on 22 schools

Members don't see this ad :)
19 primaries, but decided not to apply to one so 18 secondaries. 3 pre-ii Rs, 1 pre-ii hold atm (had one that turned into an ii later on), 3 iis, 1 alternate list, and 1A!
still waiting to hear from the rest. also these are all MD

complete late July for most, two in early aug, and one in early/mid sep

1°: 42 | 2°: 39 (chose not to do 3 secondary) (Completed mid/late Sept to early Oct) |

II: 4 | IA: 2 (bumping to 3 tomorrow)

Pre-II H: 1 | Pre-II R: 3

WL - | Post-II R: - | A: -

Sent in 34 primaries, finished 32 secondaries (1 post-primary rejection and decided not to send the other in).
So far, received 7 IIs and have attended 5.
2 waitlists and 1 acceptance

Last edited:
30 primaries/secondaries, 4 pre-ii Rs, 9 iis and attended 8 so far, 5 As, and still waiting to hear back from the rest of the interviews/ secondaries

Last edited:
Apply to as many as financially possible.
Throw on random schools.

I got 2 ii from 2 state schools that I randomly tacked on.
I know people who literally got 1 interview and 1 acceptance out of the 40-50 schools they applied to

Submitted 22 MD primaries, 8 DO primaries. I completed 21 MD secondaries (I didn't do one) and all 8 DO secondaries. I have recieved 4 MD II and 4 DO II. So far I have gotten 2 DO A's. I also received a pre-II hold from an MD school (my state school, so that sucks). I just interviewed at my first MD school yesterday and expect to hear back by the beginning of January.

Submitted 31 for primary, only submitted 29 for secondaries (chose not to submit 2). I've gotten 4 II, 2 pre-II R, and 2 pre-II holds. I've only attended on interview so far and hoping to hear back some positive news soon!

Sent 16 primaries, submitted 16 secondaries, and currently holding 5 II out of which 2 have become acceptances!

Primaries: 8, Secondaries: 8 (Complete in July), Interviews: 8, Acceptances: 8.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
23 primaries and secondaries; 1 II, 1 hold, 3 Rs

Complete mid-late August

meant for @Chitaku

guessing you are from Texas? Literally moving to Texas this spring and reapplying there as in state lollllll.
Yeah being a TX resident is great (most of the time lol)! In case you're not joking, just moving here will not allow you to apply as a resident though. Pretty sure you have to live here for at least a year.

Yeah being a TX resident is great (most of the time lol)! In case you're not joking, just moving here will not allow you to apply as a resident though. Pretty sure you have to live here for at least a year.
Were all your 8 schools in Texas?

You are right 😢 there goes my plan B if I get rejected this cycle .. I’m California resident and it has not been great lol

2 schools applied —> 1 rejection & 1 acceptance.
I know, I was stupid.

26 schools. only 2 interviews so far, waiting on feburary for one and got deferred by the other :( 3.85 521

Reactions: 2 users
37 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance, waiting for 2 more, same stats as above, reapplicant

31 md apps, 22 secondaries submitted (5 pending), 1 II, 2 post sec R, 19 schools silent

I applied to 10 programs, 8 MD and 2 DO programs. Received 3 II and was accepted into one. Waitlisted into 2 programs with another acceptance after I had started in the program where I was accepted

41 MD schools, 6 II, 5 interviews attended so far, 3 As (waiting to hear back from other two), reapplicant

3.95 GPA, engineering
521 MCAT
3+ years research

Applied to 33 MD-PhD programs
6 rejections
1 hold for interview
4 interviews

Last edited:
Career-changer non-trad here :) Ditched experimental psychology for this ;)

Applied to 20 programs (18 MD and 2 DO), AMCAS primary submitted 6/24, verified 8/2. AACOMAS submitted 8/1, verified 8/4. Sent primary to 21 schools, but ditched one pre-secondary. 20 secondaries complete mid-August to early September 2020

0 rejections
0 holds (so far...but got off of my only waitlist!)
5 interviews (2 DO + 3 MD)
2 acceptances (1 DO + 1 MD)
15 schools ghosting me rn.

3 LOL. And then after my acceptance to one, I withdrew from one. I'll probably go to the school I'm accepted to even if I get into the other one (unless the other school gives me enough scholarship money to make it competitive).

This cycle:

25 MD schools
25 secondaries
13 II’s
8 IA (so far)
1 A, 1WL, 1 Pre-II rejection

Just so people with no II know they aren't alone.

19 MDs, 4 DOs. Completed all MD secondaries late July/mid August and DO November (just added them).
3 pre-II Rs. 1 pre-II hold.
0 II so far.
LM 71. ORM.

As someone who is kinda disappointed with how their cycle is going, it’s jarring to see so many people with 10+ II :(

39 MD primaries, 35 secondaries (mostly submitted late August to late September), 2 II (waiting for decisions from both), 5 pre-II R, 2 pre-II hold. LM 73.5, ORM.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
30 MD primaries, received all secondaries but completed 25 (end of July to mid-august), 3 pre-II R (including from my OOS state school alma mater), 1 pre-II hold, 2 II, 1 post-II R, 1 A

Applied to 35 schools. Submitted 29/35 secondaries early Sept. 3 II, 5 R's, 1 post-II R, 1 A. LM 87

As someone who is kinda disappointed with how their cycle is going, it’s jarring to see so many people with 10+ II :(

39 MD primaries, 35 secondaries (mostly submitted late August to late September), 2 II (waiting for decisions from both), 5 pre-II R, 2 pre-II hold. LM 73.5, ORM.
Why???? Keeping in mind that SDN is an atypical slice of the pool, and that people doing well are more likely to post, why is it jarring to see that the process is in fact not entirely random, and that the top candidates are attractive to many of the schools they applied to?

Just like everything else in life, these are the rock stars (amazing ECs, high stat URMs, etc.) who, when you think about it, should be attractive to lots of schools who, at the end of the day, are mostly all looking for the same things in candidates! Try to use SDN for what it can do for you, and resist the temptation to compare yourself to the rock stars.

If it helps put things in perspective, in 2019 only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs. It's unreasonable for most of us to compare ourselves to that group. The VAST majority of successful applicants have between 1 and 5 IIs (69.8%).

• Care
If it helps put things in perspective, in 2019 only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs. It's unreasonable for most of us to compare ourselves to that group. The VAST majority of successful applicants have between 1 and 5 IIs (69.8%).
Where did you find these stats?

Where did you find these stats?
This is from the AAMC matriculants survey.

The more interesting question which we dont have answers to, are about the candidates who interviewed but didnt match in any school. There are no surveys to guide, why these candidates didnt match anywhere. We know that in general , for higher ranked schools the offers/interview percentage is about 20-35%, and for the lower ranked schools somewhere between 45-65%.

Longitudinally I find this question interesting as an educator with the steep dropoff in intentions to work with underserved: Medical students on admission saying they will work with an underserved population 32%, medical students survey on graduating that number drops to 26%, some of the smaller surveys on graduating residents taking a job in underserved areas 5%. :unsure:

@KnightDoc when you said "only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs" what is the 40% referring to ?

Last edited:
This is from the AAMC matriculants survey.

The more interesting question which we dont have answers to, are about the candidates who interviewed but didnt match in any school. There are no surveys to guide, why these candidates didnt match anywhere. We know that in general , for higher ranked schools the offers/interview percentage is about 20-35%, and for the lower ranked schools somewhere between 45-65%.

Longitudinally I find this question interesting as an educator with the steep dropoff in intentions to work with underserved: Medical students on admission saying they will work with an underserved population 32%, medical students survey on graduating that number drops to 26%, some of the smaller surveys on graduating residents taking a job in underserved areas 5%. :unsure:

@KnightDoc when you said "only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs" what is the 40% referring to ?
The widely reported number of 40% of applicants who are successful and actually matriculate (actually closer to 42% last year, but will certainly be under 40% this year with the huge increase in applicants). I'm pointing out (or trying to! :)) that there is another 60% of the pool not accounted for in the 7.3%.

Why do you find it so interesting that some applicants lie on admission to say what they think administrators want to hear, or that they change their minds when later provided a tangible opportunity to make money and their desire to serve the underserved is no longer an abstract principle, but is actually going to cost them real money?

At the risk of derailing the thread, this is likely a real problem, and a risk inherent in providing a lower statistical bar for candidates deemed likely to fill this need, who later inevitably disappoint when given the opportunity to put their own wants and needs ahead of the populations they were recruited to serve. Of course, it doesn't happen all the time, but your quoted surveys provide evidence that it certainly does happen when candidates are given a license to practice without a corresponding binding contract to fill a need. Maybe this is why programs that do impose a contractual commitment to serve have much lower stats, because liars lie, and people with stats good enough to enter lucrative areas of practice don't often willingly sacrifice that, notwithstanding med schools' earnest efforts to address the need.

Last edited: