You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
how many med schools did you apply to?
Started by gogetter898
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sent primary to 29 MD and 13 DO schools. Sent secondary to 28 MD and 10 DO. So far, I’ve gotten 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, 5 rejections, and 3 “holds”.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1000960
Sent primary to 29 MD and 13 DO schools. Sent secondary to 28 MD and 10 DO. So far, I’ve gotten 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, 5 rejections, and 3 “holds”.
Can I ask what your stats/ECs were like?
37 Apps, 2II (1WL), 9R
Complete mid-late July for most schools
Complete mid-late July for most schools
TMDSAS: 6 secondaries completed mid-august, 5 IIs
AMCAS: 20 primaries/secondaries received, 17 secondaries completed mid/late September, 4 IIs
Just hanging, still very hopeful
AMCAS: 20 primaries/secondaries received, 17 secondaries completed mid/late September, 4 IIs
Just hanging, still very hopeful
Sent my primary to 33 schools, did all 33 secondaries (completed between early August - early September), received 15 interview invites, 4 acceptances. I have 1 WL and no post-II Rs yet. I didn't count really but I think I have like 3 or 4 pre-II Rs.
Last edited:
Can I ask what your stats/ECs were like?
Pretty average all around. Median stats for matriculated students. Interesting life story though.
37 schools, 36 secondaries. So far: 13 IIs, 1 H, 2 Rs, and 1 WL. Complete in September/October.
43 Schools, 40 Secondaries. 13 II, 2 A, 3 WL, 5 pre-ii R. Complete July/Aug
D
deleted1066189
about 36? I have one II and 4 holds so far, waiting on 22 schools
19 primaries, but decided not to apply to one so 18 secondaries. 3 pre-ii Rs, 1 pre-ii hold atm (had one that turned into an ii later on), 3 iis, 1 alternate list, and 1A!
still waiting to hear from the rest. also these are all MD
complete late July for most, two in early aug, and one in early/mid sep
still waiting to hear from the rest. also these are all MD
complete late July for most, two in early aug, and one in early/mid sep
Sent in 34 primaries, finished 32 secondaries (1 post-primary rejection and decided not to send the other in).
So far, received 7 IIs and have attended 5.
2 waitlists and 1 acceptance
So far, received 7 IIs and have attended 5.
2 waitlists and 1 acceptance
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
R
Removed 982794
Too many and somehow not enough
doingmybest10
Full Member
30 primaries/secondaries, 4 pre-ii Rs, 9 iis and attended 8 so far, 5 As, and still waiting to hear back from the rest of the interviews/ secondaries
Last edited:
Apply to as many as financially possible.
Throw on random schools.
I got 2 ii from 2 state schools that I randomly tacked on.
I know people who literally got 1 interview and 1 acceptance out of the 40-50 schools they applied to
Throw on random schools.
I got 2 ii from 2 state schools that I randomly tacked on.
I know people who literally got 1 interview and 1 acceptance out of the 40-50 schools they applied to
Submitted 22 MD primaries, 8 DO primaries. I completed 21 MD secondaries (I didn't do one) and all 8 DO secondaries. I have recieved 4 MD II and 4 DO II. So far I have gotten 2 DO A's. I also received a pre-II hold from an MD school (my state school, so that sucks). I just interviewed at my first MD school yesterday and expect to hear back by the beginning of January.
Holy crap 😱Primaries: 8, Secondaries: 8 (Complete in July), Interviews: 8, Acceptances: 7.
Stats Please? This is AWESOME!Primaries: 8, Secondaries: 8 (Complete in July), Interviews: 8, Acceptances: 7.
meant for @ChitakuHoly crap 😱
guessing you are from Texas? Literally moving to Texas this spring and reapplying there as in state lollllll.
D
deleted1009115
23 primaries and secondaries; 1 II, 1 hold, 3 Rs
Complete mid-late August
Complete mid-late August
Yeah being a TX resident is great (most of the time lol)! In case you're not joking, just moving here will not allow you to apply as a resident though. Pretty sure you have to live here for at least a year.meant for @Chitaku
guessing you are from Texas? Literally moving to Texas this spring and reapplying there as in state lollllll.
Were all your 8 schools in Texas?Yeah being a TX resident is great (most of the time lol)! In case you're not joking, just moving here will not allow you to apply as a resident though. Pretty sure you have to live here for at least a year.
Yep! But 1 of them is an AMCAS school.Were all your 8 schools in Texas?
MooseKaboose98
Full Member
17 and currently at 5 II and 1 pre-II R.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are right 😢 there goes my plan B if I get rejected this cycle .. I’m California resident and it has not been great lolYeah being a TX resident is great (most of the time lol)! In case you're not joking, just moving here will not allow you to apply as a resident though. Pretty sure you have to live here for at least a year.
2 schools applied —> 1 rejection & 1 acceptance.
I know, I was stupid.
I know, I was stupid.
D
deleted1053887
37 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance, waiting for 2 more, same stats as above, reapplicant
31 md apps, 22 secondaries submitted (5 pending), 1 II, 2 post sec R, 19 schools silent
I applied to 10 programs, 8 MD and 2 DO programs. Received 3 II and was accepted into one. Waitlisted into 2 programs with another acceptance after I had started in the program where I was accepted
Career-changer non-trad here 🙂 Ditched experimental psychology for this 😉
Applied to 20 programs (18 MD and 2 DO), AMCAS primary submitted 6/24, verified 8/2. AACOMAS submitted 8/1, verified 8/4. Sent primary to 21 schools, but ditched one pre-secondary. 20 secondaries complete mid-August to early September 2020
0 rejections
0 holds (so far...but got off of my only waitlist!)
5 interviews (2 DO + 3 MD)
2 acceptances (1 DO + 1 MD)
15 schools ghosting me rn.
Applied to 20 programs (18 MD and 2 DO), AMCAS primary submitted 6/24, verified 8/2. AACOMAS submitted 8/1, verified 8/4. Sent primary to 21 schools, but ditched one pre-secondary. 20 secondaries complete mid-August to early September 2020
0 rejections
0 holds (so far...but got off of my only waitlist!)
5 interviews (2 DO + 3 MD)
2 acceptances (1 DO + 1 MD)
15 schools ghosting me rn.
borrawin95
Full Member
This cycle:
25 MD schools
25 secondaries
13 II’s
8 IA (so far)
1 A, 1WL, 1 Pre-II rejection
25 MD schools
25 secondaries
13 II’s
8 IA (so far)
1 A, 1WL, 1 Pre-II rejection
FloatingHead
Full Member
Just so people with no II know they aren't alone.
19 MDs, 4 DOs. Completed all MD secondaries late July/mid August and DO November (just added them).
3 pre-II Rs. 1 pre-II hold.
0 II so far.
LM 71. ORM.
19 MDs, 4 DOs. Completed all MD secondaries late July/mid August and DO November (just added them).
3 pre-II Rs. 1 pre-II hold.
0 II so far.
LM 71. ORM.
absolutewasteman
Full Member
As someone who is kinda disappointed with how their cycle is going, it’s jarring to see so many people with 10+ II 🙁
39 MD primaries, 35 secondaries (mostly submitted late August to late September), 2 II (waiting for decisions from both), 5 pre-II R, 2 pre-II hold. LM 73.5, ORM.
39 MD primaries, 35 secondaries (mostly submitted late August to late September), 2 II (waiting for decisions from both), 5 pre-II R, 2 pre-II hold. LM 73.5, ORM.
Last edited:
fullofbeanz
Full Member
30 MD primaries, received all secondaries but completed 25 (end of July to mid-august), 3 pre-II R (including from my OOS state school alma mater), 1 pre-II hold, 2 II, 1 post-II R, 1 A
Applied to 35 schools. Submitted 29/35 secondaries early Sept. 3 II, 5 R's, 1 post-II R, 1 A. LM 87
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why???? Keeping in mind that SDN is an atypical slice of the pool, and that people doing well are more likely to post, why is it jarring to see that the process is in fact not entirely random, and that the top candidates are attractive to many of the schools they applied to?As someone who is kinda disappointed with how their cycle is going, it’s jarring to see so many people with 10+ II 🙁
39 MD primaries, 35 secondaries (mostly submitted late August to late September), 2 II (waiting for decisions from both), 5 pre-II R, 2 pre-II hold. LM 73.5, ORM.
Just like everything else in life, these are the rock stars (amazing ECs, high stat URMs, etc.) who, when you think about it, should be attractive to lots of schools who, at the end of the day, are mostly all looking for the same things in candidates! Try to use SDN for what it can do for you, and resist the temptation to compare yourself to the rock stars.
If it helps put things in perspective, in 2019 only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs. It's unreasonable for most of us to compare ourselves to that group. The VAST majority of successful applicants have between 1 and 5 IIs (69.8%).
Where did you find these stats?If it helps put things in perspective, in 2019 only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs. It's unreasonable for most of us to compare ourselves to that group. The VAST majority of successful applicants have between 1 and 5 IIs (69.8%).
This is from the AAMC matriculants survey.Where did you find these stats?
The more interesting question which we dont have answers to, are about the candidates who interviewed but didnt match in any school. There are no surveys to guide, why these candidates didnt match anywhere. We know that in general , for higher ranked schools the offers/interview percentage is about 20-35%, and for the lower ranked schools somewhere between 45-65%.
Longitudinally I find this question interesting as an educator with the steep dropoff in intentions to work with underserved: Medical students on admission saying they will work with an underserved population 32%, medical students survey on graduating that number drops to 26%, some of the smaller surveys on graduating residents taking a job in underserved areas 5%. 🤔
@KnightDoc when you said "only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs" what is the 40% referring to ?
Last edited:
The widely reported number of 40% of applicants who are successful and actually matriculate (actually closer to 42% last year, but will certainly be under 40% this year with the huge increase in applicants). I'm pointing out (or trying to! 🙂) that there is another 60% of the pool not accounted for in the 7.3%.This is from the AAMC matriculants survey.
The more interesting question which we dont have answers to, are about the candidates who interviewed but didnt match in any school. There are no surveys to guide, why these candidates didnt match anywhere. We know that in general , for higher ranked schools the offers/interview percentage is about 20-35%, and for the lower ranked schools somewhere between 45-65%.
Longitudinally I find this question interesting as an educator with the steep dropoff in intentions to work with underserved: Medical students on admission saying they will work with an underserved population 32%, medical students survey on graduating that number drops to 26%, some of the smaller surveys on graduating residents taking a job in underserved areas 5%. 🤔
@KnightDoc when you said "only 7.3% of matriculating students (the top 40% of the pool) had more than 10 IIs" what is the 40% referring to ?
Why do you find it so interesting that some applicants lie on admission to say what they think administrators want to hear, or that they change their minds when later provided a tangible opportunity to make money and their desire to serve the underserved is no longer an abstract principle, but is actually going to cost them real money?
At the risk of derailing the thread, this is likely a real problem, and a risk inherent in providing a lower statistical bar for candidates deemed likely to fill this need, who later inevitably disappoint when given the opportunity to put their own wants and needs ahead of the populations they were recruited to serve. Of course, it doesn't happen all the time, but your quoted surveys provide evidence that it certainly does happen when candidates are given a license to practice without a corresponding binding contract to fill a need. Maybe this is why programs that do impose a contractual commitment to serve have much lower stats, because liars lie, and people with stats good enough to enter lucrative areas of practice don't often willingly sacrifice that, notwithstanding med schools' earnest efforts to address the need.
Last edited:
You are right [emoji22] there goes my plan B if I get rejected this cycle .. I’m California resident and it has not been great lol
I moved to Texas and started working at Walmart. 8 months in and filling out the application they accepted me as in state. Just find any work and be there ( or receive an income for at least 6 months and you should not have a problem)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 5K