How many more credit hours should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2Be93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I graduated in 2015 with an abysmal GPA (<3.0). I started a DIY postbacc that same year and realized I was struggling still (don't know why I expected a different result--I graduated and then went straight into it).

In August 2020, I decided that I WILL do well in all classes from here on out. I guess something clicked in my brain. All the classes I have taken since 2020 are 4000 level science classes and here's what I earned:

Parasitology: A
Biology of Cancer: A-
Developmental Biology: B+ (I missed an A by .05...whatever)
Biotechnology: A
Immunology: A
Cell Biology: **in progress but I currently have an A**
Regional Anatomy: **in progress but I currently have an A**

I plan on taking Virology in Summer A in addition to Bioinformatics. I have also been studying for the MCAT and my most recent fl score was 508.

My classes are very spread out due to work conflicts but the first three classes were taken concurrently. Will my most recent grades, in addition to a great MCAT (>510) be enough to show adcoms that I am no longer the idiot I was in the past decade?

I'm URM (black) and a FAP recipient as well. Please tell me something good.

EDIT: Due to the massive amount of credit hours I have, I realized my gpa will never be above a 3.0. I was just wondering how many hours are *enough* to show adcoms I can handle medical school rigor.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can definitely tell you how many hours is "enough," but your courseload amounts to almost two semesters of classes. My gut reaction is that this is enough- especially if you can do well on the MCAT.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
... EDIT: Due to the massive amount of credit hours I have, I realized my gpa will never be above a 3.0. I was just wondering how many hours are *enough* to show adcoms I can handle medical school rigor.
It looks like you're fine. Connect with admissions professionals representing schools near the top of your list, and I am sure you will be assured your application will be viewed holistically. Some schools may even have a focus on your most recent 2 years of coursework taken.

It is important to know we often think "what have you done lately?" when it comes to activities and coursework, so the fact you seem to be rocking the upper-level courses recently and hopefully confirm that with a solid MCAT will help your cause.

When you get your official MCAT score, ask us in WAMC.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like you're fine. Connect with admissions professionals representing schools near the top of your list, and I am sure you will be assured your application will be viewed holistically. Some schools may even have a focus on your most recent 2 years of coursework taken.

It is important to know we often think "what have you done lately?" when it comes to activities and coursework, so the fact you seem to be rocking the upper-level courses recently and hopefully confirm that with a solid MCAT will help your cause.

When you get your official MCAT score, ask us in WAMC.
Thank you! I have officially finished spring semester and ended up with an A in both Cell Biology and Survey of Regional Anatomy. Like you said, once I have my MCAT score I'll be posting in WAMC.

Reactions: 1 user