How many mormons at your school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to go back that far, I guess I would have to go with primordial soup...

What I meant was, how did we skip at one point being monkeys...we share a common ancestor with apes, who share a common ancestor with monkeys...

Us
\ Cute Chimps
\ / Dirty Monkeys
\/ /
\ / Sponge Bob
\/ /
\ /
\/mmmm primordial soup

Members don't see this ad.

We believe in evolution [(definition: [SIZE=-1]a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage)][/SIZE]. It happens. Horses get bigger, Humans have gotten bigger and stronger, heck, even staph bacteria has evolved and become resistant to certain antibiotics. BUT that doesn't mean humans came from monkeys.

NewMexDent-
Do you concur?

BTW, evolutionists don't believe humans came from monkeys, either.

I think that toofshucker is entitled to his own opinions, but I don't agree with his statement. It actually exhibits some of the frustration I have with anti-evolutionists. But, like he said, our church has no "official" stance on the processes of evolution - they leave it up to each individual to examine the evidence and make their own conclusions.

For me, evolution is definitely much more than a single organism evolving favorable characteristics - as toofshucker states. It is clear to me, from the evidence I have seen, that speciation occurs. It seems to me that there is evidence that humans evolved from a common ancestor of the great apes. I delight in searching out this information and increasing my understanding of the evidence. Does it in any way affect my religious faith? Absolutely not.

My question is...If they all have this great education, why do they all let their wives make the financially fatal decsion to go back to Utah and work for so little. Two of my better friends from UT both went home and are struggling like mad to make ends meet. Meanwhile, another Mormon friend of mine was smart, albeit dead last in our class, stayed in the midwest, and is doing phenomenal in his first 18 mos of practice.

This financial decision is not limited to Dentistry, it is all professions. And while I understand my three examples are anectdotal in appearance, this is the truth. These poor guys are destined to whoring themselves as quacky strip mall dentists, offering "FREE ZOOM WITH CHECK UP" so that their wives can live close to mommy and daddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
. Does it in any way affect my religious faith? Absolutely not. [/COLOR]

:thumbup::thumbup: I like the cut of your jib, it shouldn't. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I just get frustrated when people on both sides of the evolution/creation debate try to make either god or darwin. Why not both.

My question is...If they all have this great education, why do they all let their wives make the financially fatal decsion to go back to Utah and work for so little. Two of my better friends from UT both went home and are struggling like mad to make ends meet. Meanwhile, another Mormon friend of mine was smart, albeit dead last in our class, stayed in the midwest, and is doing phenomenal in his first 18 mos of practice.

This financial decision is not limited to Dentistry, it is all professions. And while I understand my three examples are anectdotal in appearance, this is the truth. These poor guys are destined to whoring themselves as quacky strip mall dentists, offering "FREE ZOOM WITH CHECK UP" so that their wives can live close to mommy and daddy.

Everyone here is wondering about monkeys, apes, and humans, when in reality, you, my friend, are asking the unanswerable question. :D

If you have questions about mormons...might want to visit this site http://www.exmormon.org/
very good source of info...not mormon bashing but not mormon loving either.

If you have questions about mormons...might want to visit this site http://www.exmormon.org/
Or you could try going straight to the source at www.mormon.org and find out what we actually believe! There is a nice little button you can click on that says "basic beliefs" that will tell you what mormons believe on a variety of subjects.

Hm...that's actually quite a negative site.

Interesting that you would create an acount just to make this post.

Oh well, to each their own.

First off,

Just wanna say that some of the coolest guys I know at d-school are mormon.

Also, I feel that Romney is a great candidate for the presidency.

But, Huckabee would take my support over Romney anyday LOL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8

There's just one thing about mormonism that I find unsettling.

I read that mormon's find the names of dead people, and organize ceremonies to pray for the dead.

Since there's obviously mormon's reading this thread, can you explain this to me?

When a newsreporter asked romney about this, he stated that he did do this in the past, but not recently.

Again, I'd love an explanation, but I don't want to ask my mormon's buddies about this in person.

Huckabee suddenly leading in the polls after saying he is "christian" shows you how ridiculous our political system is.

Why do you feel that Religion has nothing to do with politics?

The president of the united states is the commander in chief of the economic center of the universe.

Religion is a critical component in describing one's core values.

First off,

Just wanna say that some of the coolest guys I know at d-school are mormon.

Also, I feel that Romney is a great candidate for the presidency.

But, Huckabee would take my support over Romney anyday LOL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8

There's just one thing about mormonism that I find unsettling.

I read that mormon's find the names of dead people, and organize ceremonies to pray for the dead.

Since there's obviously mormon's reading this thread, can you explain this to me?

When a newsreporter asked romney about this, he stated that he did do this in the past, but not recently.

Again, I'd love an explanation, but I don't want to ask my mormon's buddies about this in person.

Why not I bet they would be happy to answer that for ya. Plus I feel that is a whole lot better than learning about it from someone you don't even know on the internet. For all you know I could be some freak.

But that doesn't explain why 99% of the Mormon dental students I've encountered are all male... again, this is just to satisfy my curiosity, but how many female Mormon students attend professional schools (e.g. medicine, dentistry, law, etc)?

I have actually mentioned a couple in my post. Here are some more:

Torah Bright, Olympic snowboarder; Michele Despin, Olympic Luger; Shauna Rohbock, Olympic bobsleder; Angela "Bay" Buchannon, US Treasurer (her sig is still on some old greenbacks); Dr. Martha Hughes Cannon, MD, first female state senator in the US; Ivy Baker Priest, US Treasurer; Julianne Hough, Dancing with the Stars ;); AJ Cook, actress; Sherie Dew, on the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations; Stephanie Meyer, NY Times Best selling Author (Twilight, New Moon); Kelly Eisenhower, jazz vocalist; Gladys Knight, singer; Marie Osmond, singer :D; SheDaisy, singers; Donna Dewberry, artist, creator of "the one stroke" technique.

A good start to a non-exhausted list. :) Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
But that doesn't explain why 99% of the Mormon dental students I've encountered are all male... again, this is just to satisfy my curiosity, but how many female Mormon students attend professional schools (e.g. medicine, dentistry, law, etc)?

While I can't answer for the Mormon students, this phenomenon is fairly typical in conservative Catholic populations as well, and I believe the answer is that in most relationships arising in a conservative/Christian environment, the male is expected to be the breadwinner, and the female is expected to be there for the minutiae of raising the kids (i.e. the one who picks up the kid early from school when they get caught sneaking in nair filled water balloons on the last day of class, etc). You can debate all you want about whether this is right or wrong- I'm simply reporting the prevalent attitude regarding this issue in conservative Christian circles.

This is not to say that women are discouraged from pursuing careers. Just that many females from conservative backgrounds are married/engaged from by the time professional school rolls around, and they prefer to spend their time as a homemaker. Several of my female classmates are pursuing careers in law, medicine, and various academic disciplines such as English, bioethics, mathematics, philosophy, and theology. (I will be the first alumnus from my alma mater to enter dentistry with any luck!)

To condense a long post: It's a cultural thing. Catholics (and I'm pretty sure the majority of LDS members also) are perfectly okay with women pursuing professional careers.

I encourage you all with questions about the LDS church to go ahead and ask your mormon friends in your class. We absolutely love to discussing the things we believe.

Why are 99% of mormon dental school males??
Building strong eternal families is central in our religion. The following is a great summary of what we believe.

"Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "

"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."

We work together to acheive our goals and fulfill our responsibilities. Yes, I am the one enrolled in the classes, but without my wife's support and encouragement I could never do it.

By the way, no Phd, MD, DDS, etc merits near the recognition of what a mother does within the walls of a home.

On a funny note and irrelevant to the content of this thread, but when I first saw this thread, at a rough glance I thought the title was "How many *****s?"

Or you could try going straight to the source at www.mormon.org and find out what we actually believe! There is a nice little button you can click on that says "basic beliefs" that will tell you what mormons believe on a variety of subjects.

But the website I gave gives what Mormons believe (cited references) as well as what they don't tell you till after you join in (cited references). It's a very interesting read. I did make a new account to post this, this is true. I do have friends that are Mormon and I didn't want them figuring out that I wrote this. I don't believe in Mormonism and I believe it's a cult. But I don't really want to have that conflict with my classmates for all our years at d-school. You still can be friends with someone who you think is dead wrong about their religious beliefs.

Russell M. Nelson (one of our leaders) was a part of developing heart/lung machine and performed the first successful open heart surgery on a human. .

I don't think this guy performed the first successful open heart surgery...but I could be wrong. Maybe in Utah he did, but not in the country or the world.

I don't think this guy performed the first successful open heart surgery...but I could be wrong. Maybe in Utah he did, but not in the country or the world.

You're right, he performed the first open heart surgery in Utah. But he was instrumental in the development of the iron lung.

[/B]
Why not I bet they would be happy to answer that for ya. Plus I feel that is a whole lot better than learning about it from someone you don't even know on the internet. For all you know I could be some freak.

If you research the names of dead people, and have ceremonies to pray for them -- you are a freak

Seriously guys,

I simply cannot understand how some people who are so intelligent and make into dental school, and do very well financially, believe in such nonsense (mormonism).

I was reading all about mormonism (joseph smith and New York State), and it sounded like complete nonsense. Totally bogus.

It stuns me how my buddy - who is one of the most logical person's I know - believe in such foolishness.

My belief is that people do not convert into Mormonism. And if it does occur it is an outstanding minority.

People are mormon b/c they were born into the religion. They didn't select the religion, the religion selected them. They are mormon by default brainwashing.

Seriously guys,

I simply cannot understand how some people who are so intelligent and make into dental school, and do very well financially, believe in such nonsense (mormonism).

I was reading all about mormonism (joseph smith and New York State), and it sounded like complete nonsense. Totally bogus.

It stuns me how my buddy - who is one of the most logical person's I know - believe in such foolishness.

My belief is that people do not convert into Mormonism. And if it does occur it is an outstanding minority.

People are mormon b/c they were born into the religion. They didn't select the religion, the religion selected them. They are mormon by default brainwashing.

There are about 300,000 converts every year. THose are not people born into it

THis topic is interesting, at my dental school interviews, I recall about 1/4 being from BYU or Utah of those most were mormon.

I have never seen a thread explode with so many responses so quickly....hmmmm.......Regardless, this has really digressed into a religious discussion which has no pertinence to this site. Someone please shut this down before the history lessons start.

I have never seen a thread explode with so many responses so quickly....hmmmm.......Regardless, this has really digressed into a religious discussion which has no pertinence to this site. Someone please shut this down before the history lessons start.

I think it is pertinent...since this subject is constantly brought up in dental schools across the country...

Obviously by the name of the link, it's not the best source. Any "ex" is going to be a hater in any aspect of life. Why not go to the real source mormon.org or lds.org to get real beliefs from real members?

Obviously by the name of the link, it's not the best source. Any "ex" is going to be a hater in any aspect of life. Why not go to the real source mormon.org or lds.org to get real beliefs from real members?

Once again I ask, what is the dental pertinence of the mormon beliefs or mormon religion? None.

Why do mormon's research the names of dead people and organize religious ceremonies to pray for them?

If I found out that my dentist was doing such things, I might feel a little uncomfortable.

Why don't you read the site and tell me how the site falters under the section of what mormons believe? http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm
I'm just curious. Anyone can paint anything to look beautiful...sometimes you need help from someone who has been there to see through the deception.

Why don't you read the site and tell me how the site falters under the section of what mormons believe? http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm
I'm just curious. Anyone can paint anything to look beautiful...sometimes you need help from someone who has been there to see through the deception.
Anyone can take something beautiful and deface it as well, which is actually easier to do than painting a beautiful picture. I invite anyone who has questions about the LDS faith or why Mormons believe what they do to talk to your LDS classmates. They will be more than happy to share what they believe and why, as well as answer any questions you have.

I agree that this thread has somewhat gotten off topic and is in no way related to dentistry. We might want to get back on track.

Why do mormon's research the names of dead people and organize religious ceremonies to pray for them?
If I found out that my dentist was doing such things, I might feel a little uncomfortable.
As far as the Mormons praying for dead people question. That interpretation is not accurate. I know what you are talking about and the answer to your question would take too long for a post like this. Feel free to PM me and I would be happy to explain to you what it is all about:).

What's the problem with praying for dead people? I don't get it. Buddhists pray for their dead ancestors too. They have ceremony for it. At least the buddhists I know. I'm sure other religions practice this as well. It's odd because christians do not do such. But not odd for many other people

Hi,

I have just received a private message from a mod that went something like this: your posts are inflammatory and you need to stop trolling etc and you need to stop making posts like these.

I have only asked a few questions that I feel are important, and stated my opinions. I have not made any egregious comments specifically designed to hurt another person. I have a right to voice my beliefs and opinions!

Instead of trying to silence me, why doesn't anyone discuss my comments.

Is this the kind of America I live in? When comments hit a nerve, the only option left is to suppress the individual.

I may not believe in mormonism, but I support a mormon's right to believe in it.

I expect the same treatment. You may not agree with what I say, but don't try to email a mod to shut me out. Face me like a man and talk about it.

And to the most recent poster who commented on my question:

I already understand the logic of organizing religious ceremonies to pray for the dead. For those who don't know what I'm talking about here is a summary off wikipedia:

"Baptism for the dead, vicarious baptism or proxy baptism is a religious practice of baptising a living person on behalf of an individual who is dead; the living person is acting as the deceased person's proxy. So it is with this practice, an individual is baptized to give those beyond the grave the opportunity of baptism by proxy. It has been practiced since 1840 in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where it is also called temple baptism because it is performed only in dedicated temples. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead

Like I said, I already know what it is.

But I want to know why.

No - I don't want to read about it over the internet, or read it from a book.

I want to know 'why' based on the response of a dental student my age. I want to hear it straight from their mouth.

I think its important to address this question. In fact I just asked some people - would you see a dentist that researches the names of dead people and organizes a special ceremony to pray for them, at a special designated 'temple'? I'll let you figure out the response.

My best advice to you then would be to talk to a member of the LDS church your age face to face so you can ask questions and get answers. I agree that you are sincere in your search for an answer and am surprised you got that message saying you were asking an inflamatory question. I think it is a very reasonable question. I hope one of your LDS classmates will be kind enough to sit down with you for a while and answer your questions.

I'm not a Mormon and I found your posts rude and inflammatory Sunny. I believe you called the religion bogus, foolishness, and nonsense, and implied that it's adherents are brainwashed.

It's certainly your right to hold that opinion but I think it is kind of tactless to express it in this context.

I think its important to address this question. In fact I just asked some people - would you see a dentist that researches the names of dead people and organizes a special ceremony to pray for them, at a special designated 'temple'? I'll let you figure out the response.

If people choose their dentists based on this type of criteria then the profession has a serious problem with patient education.

But that doesn't explain why 99% of the Mormon dental students I've encountered are all male... again, this is just to satisfy my curiosity, but how many female Mormon students attend professional schools (e.g. medicine, dentistry, law, etc)?[/quote
I don't know why you want to know but in my own family I have a sister currently in law school and another about to start a Phd-MD program.
I don't have any hard and fast numbers about the overall percentage of mormon females but I personally know two mormon females, my sisters, in professional schools.
hope this helps

Hi,

I have just received a private message from a mod that went something like this: your posts are inflammatory and you need to stop trolling etc and you need to stop making posts like these.

I have only asked a few questions that I feel are important, and stated my opinions. I have not made any egregious comments specifically designed to hurt another person. I have a right to voice my beliefs and opinions!

Instead of trying to silence me, why doesn't anyone discuss my comments.

Is this the kind of America I live in? When comments hit a nerve, the only option left is to suppress the individual.

I may not believe in mormonism, but I support a mormon's right to believe in it.

I expect the same treatment. You may not agree with what I say, but don't try to email a mod to shut me out. Face me like a man and talk about it.

And to the most recent poster who commented on my question:

I already understand the logic of organizing religious ceremonies to pray for the dead. For those who don't know what I'm talking about here is a summary off wikipedia:

"Baptism for the dead, vicarious baptism or proxy baptism is a religious practice of baptising a living person on behalf of an individual who is dead; the living person is acting as the deceased person's proxy. So it is with this practice, an individual is baptized to give those beyond the grave the opportunity of baptism by proxy. It has been practiced since 1840 in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where it is also called temple baptism because it is performed only in dedicated temples. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead

Like I said, I already know what it is.

But I want to know why.

No - I don't want to read about it over the internet, or read it from a book.

I want to know 'why' based on the response of a dental student my age. I want to hear it straight from their mouth.

I believe this thread has gotten off topic. But...one thing I don't understand here is if you don't want to read about it over the internet and you "want to hear it straight from their mouth" why don't you ask your buddy that you mentioned earlier that is as you put it is, "the most logical person you know". So if you have a LDS friend and you "want to hear it straight from their mouth" then why are you here on this forum asking someone over the internet ("I don't want to read about it over the internet") about this question and not your "logical yet brainwashed" friend?
Simply put, you are a troll.

I believe this thread has gotten off topic. But...one thing I don't understand here is if you don't want to read about it over the internet and you "want to hear it straight from their mouth" why don't you ask your buddy that you mentioned earlier that is as you put it is, "the most logical person you know". So if you have a LDS friend and you "want to hear it straight from their mouth" then why are you here on this forum asking someone over the internet ("I don't want to read about it over the internet") about this question and not your "logical yet brainwashed" friend?
Simply put, you are a troll.

maybe he just doesn't want to make things awkward at school! Sometimes discussing religious beliefs can get a little tense...especially if you don't agree with them after that. I'm just wondering why someone can't go on that website and tell me where that guy is wrong?? I just think all the mormons in my class are very strange...nice...but strange.

maybe he just doesn't want to make things awkward at school! Sometimes discussing religious beliefs can get a little tense...especially if you don't agree with them after that. I'm just wondering why someone can't go on that website and tell me where that guy is wrong?? I just think all the mormons in my class are very strange...nice...but strange.

If by strange you mean not like most people in this world, then I agree.

At Michigan 5-10% of each class.

On my recent ortho interviews, there were a lot of them. At a couple schools, I would bet, almost half the interviewees were Mormon. Probably a high estimate.

I think Bodiddly and gone fishing did a great job answering your question.

I don't think this thread is useless as long as people such as Sunny_1225 and bthatasitmay leave it alone. Neither of you are interested in learning about what we believe, you are just here to get people rilled up. Every religion/group/communtiy/fraternity has good and bad. That is because these organizations have people in them. People make mistakes. You believe what you want to, and I will believe what I want to. Like Joseph Smith said, "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

You two need to grow up. You don't have to believe what I believe. I don't care. What you believe is your problem. If you want to learn about my faith, then there are more than enough Mormons around you to help you. We have over 50,000 missionaries in the world that baptize over 300,000 a year. There is a website that shares our basic beliefs (www.mormon.org). This site has people willing to answer honest questions. BUT you two are acting silly, and like every other person that has read anti-mormon literature and suddenly thinks they know all (when in fact they know nothing), until you are serious about this go away, or you will cause this thread to be shut down and take away opportunities to have adult, intelligent conversations.

I think Bodiddly and gone fishing did a great job answering your question.

I don't think this thread is useless as long as people such as Sunny_1225 and bthatasitmay leave it alone. Neither of you are interested in learning about what we believe, you are just here to get people rilled up. Every religion/group/communtiy/fraternity has good and bad. That is because these organizations have people in them. People make mistakes. You believe what you want to, and I will believe what I want to. Like Joseph Smith said, "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

You two need to grow up. You don't have to believe what I believe. I don't care. What you believe is your problem. If you want to learn about my faith, then there are more than enough Mormons around you to help you. We have over 50,000 missionaries in the world that baptize over 300,000 a year. There is a website that shares our basic beliefs (www.mormon.org). This site has people willing to answer honest questions. BUT you two are acting silly, and like every other person that has read anti-mormon literature and suddenly thinks they know all (when in fact they know nothing), until you are serious about this go away, or you will cause this thread to be shut down and take away opportunities to have adult, intelligent conversations.

You know you are right. If you want to believe in a nut job then that is your problem. We do get annoyed that our dental schools are full of mormons and they are constantly trying to convert us to believe what they believe...but I will leave this alone since no one will explain to me where the website is wrong.

You know you are right. If you want to believe in a nut job then that is your problem. We do get annoyed that our dental schools are full of mormons and they are constantly trying to convert us to believe what they believe...but I will leave this alone since no one will explain to me where the website is wrong.

This shows your maturity and level of intelligence. If you are annoyed that there are mormons in your class then get your group of friends that have the same values as you to do better in school and take the seats away from us.

I love how you made a new account for these posts. I guess it's a good thing that you at least have enough shame to do that before publicly saying that a major religious group believes "a nutjob." Also, I briefly perused the site you provided and I don't think anyone would agree with your assessment that it's "not anti mormon."

As for why people aren't addressing specific claims made on the site, I would imagine it is at least partly because the website has a lot of material on it and makes a great deal of claims, while your request was not at all specific. Please stop trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.