How many mormons at your school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefSchlep

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our class is about 1/4 mormon. How many are attending your dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to say we have around 12-15 in our class. We have one married couple of those students, and another female student. It varies from class to class... someone was saying that the current 4th year class has 4-5 and the 3rd year class has somewhere around 18-20. I am not sure about the DS2 class. With that being said, they seem to be some of the most prepared students coming into dental school with many of them coming from BYU.

What's the point of the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the point of anything on SDN? To gain information about dental school.

I still don't understand why it is relevant. Do you want to know how many Jewish people are in dental schools? Protestants? Gay? White? Muslim?

Why are you so suspicious of this question? There aren't 25 out of state gays, muslims, or jews in our class, only 25 out of state mormons. Seeing as there are so many out of state mormons at my school, I was wondering whether they attend schools across the country in such numbers.

There is no malicious intent to this question. Nobody is attacking the mormon religion here.

Why are you so suspicious of this question? There aren't 25 out of state gays, muslims, or jews in our class, only 25 out of state mormons. Seeing as there are so many out of state mormons at my school, I was wondering whether they attend schools across the country in such numbers.

There is no malicious intent to this question. Nobody is attacking the mormon religion here.

Got your private message as well. I am not offended by the question I just wasn't sure as to the reasoning. No worries.

I'll tell you my class at UNLV was almost 50% mormon. Only half of those were from BYU though.

There are 15 mormons out of 84 students in my class here at Creighton, I happen to be one of them. My brother is at UNLV, and told me that nearly half of their class is LDS. Lots of my friends are attending other dental schools where they too have many classmates that share their faith. This trend is evident thoughout professional schools, and not just dental school.

You gotta love Mike Huckabee's comment against Romney:

"Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and devil are brothers"?

Our class is about 1/4 mormon. How many are attending your dental school?
I'd say there are around 20 or so in the D2 class. What school are you from that is 1/4?
UNLV is around 1/2? Wow! Are most of them from Nevada or Utah?

about 10 in my class. May be 1/3 from BYU. They perform very well in dental school

We have a pretty good number here too. (I mean nothing bad by this, but) I wonder why so many mormons go in to dentistry? I think it's interesting.
-C

We have about 4-5 LDS students in our D1 class at BU

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the exact number, but there's a bunch at VCU.

We have a pretty good number here too. (I mean nothing bad by this, but) I wonder why so many mormons go in to dentistry? I think it's interesting.
-C

It is not just dentistry. Mormons get a ton of education in all fields. We are taught to excel in everything we do. For example:

Wharton School of Business is in the John Huntsman building (who is a Mormon). Russell M. Nelson (one of our leaders) was a part of developing heart/lung machine and performed the first successful open heart surgery on a human. Ezra Taft Benson was the
US Secretary of Agriculture, Angela "Bay" Buchanan was the US Treasurer, Michael O. Leavitt is the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck, Ken Jennings, Shawn Nelson is the CEO of LoveSac, Henry Eyring poineered the application of quantum mechanics to chemistry (absolute rate theory), Harvey Fletcher worked with Millikan and together they were the first to measure the charge on an electron, R. Adams Cowley, MD, is known as the father of Emergency Medicine and Shock Trauma, Gordon Gee is the President of The Ohio State University, Stephen R. Covey, J. Williard Marriot, etc. A bit of a overkill, I know, but a few (ok a lot) of examples of Mormons that have excelled.

One principal of Mormonism is to obtain as much knowledge as possible (2 Peter 1;3-9) and that includes education. It seems like every Mormon is a MD, DMD, JD, etc. We are taught to excel at everything we undertake (Matt 25:14-29). We also believe that it is impossible for a person to be saved in ignorance, and whatever intelligence we gain in this life will only help us in the next.

That is brief, and I don't want this to turn religious, but hopefully that helps you understand (even if just a little) why there are so many Mormons in all these schools. Education is essential to not only provide for your family, but it can help you understand more about God and His purpose for us.

Like I said, this is not to start a debate, it is just to hopefully show why Mormons value education so much.

You gotta love Mike Huckabee's comment against Romney:

"Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and devil are brothers"?

Huckabee suddenly leading in the polls after saying he is "christian" shows you how ridiculous our political system is.

Huckabee has my vote if he wins the nomination. Definitely MUCH more qualified than Mitt Romney...I believe he was joking when he mentioned that comment about Mormons. Here at Nova we have about 10 out of a class of 130 (this includes international students which joined D2 year). They are good people, their beliefs don't really get brought up too much in dental school, no one has time to debate that kinda stuff when you're busting your balls in the lab..

I have noticed that 99% of Mormons attending institutions of higher education are male. I have some great Mormon friends here at NYUCD, so I obviously mean nothing negative by question below.

Do you have any examples of female Mormons that have been nationally prominent figures in fields such as medicine, dentistry, law, politics, business, etc.? It amazes me how I haven't see a single example, but I'd like to be proven wrong...

It is not just dentistry. Mormons get a ton of education in all fields. We are taught to excel in everything we do. For example:

Wharton School of Business is in the John Huntsman building (who is a Mormon). Russell M. Nelson (one of our leaders) was a part of developing heart/lung machine and performed the first successful open heart surgery on a human. Ezra Taft Benson was the
US Secretary of Agriculture, Angela "Bay" Buchanan was the US Treasurer, Michael O. Leavitt is the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Mitt Romney, Glenn Beck, Ken Jennings, Shawn Nelson is the CEO of LoveSac, Henry Eyring poineered the application of quantum mechanics to chemistry (absolute rate theory), Harvey Fletcher worked with Millikan and together they were the first to measure the charge on an electron, R. Adams Cowley, MD, is known as the father of Emergency Medicine and Shock Trauma, Gordon Gee is the President of The Ohio State University, Stephen R. Covey, J. Williard Marriot, etc. A bit of a overkill, I know, but a few (ok a lot) of examples of Mormons that have excelled.

One principal of Mormonism is to obtain as much knowledge as possible (2 Peter 1;3-9) and that includes education. It seems like every Mormon is a MD, DMD, JD, etc. We are taught to excel at everything we undertake (Matt 25:14-29). We also believe that it is impossible for a person to be saved in ignorance, and whatever intelligence we gain in this life will only help us in the next.

That is brief, and I don't want this to turn religious, but hopefully that helps you understand (even if just a little) why there are so many Mormons in all these schools. Education is essential to not only provide for your family, but it can help you understand more about God and His purpose for us.

Like I said, this is not to start a debate, it is just to hopefully show why Mormons value education so much.

What about the fact that dentistry is a occupation that provides ample time and money to raise a family. This seems to be the most important thing to the mormon people I know, not education. I respect their sense of family a great deal. Every religion teaches that education is paramount.

I have noticed that 99% of Mormons attending institutions of higher education are male. I have some great Mormon friends here at NYUCD, so I obviously mean nothing negative by question below.

Do you have any examples of female Mormons that have been nationally prominent figures in fields such as medicine, dentistry, law, politics, business, etc.? It amazes me how I haven't see a single example, but I'd like to be proven wrong...

I'd be interested in the answer to this question. I have a friend back home who was raised Mormon and his dad isn't a prominent figure in anything and basically just runs a local baseball field for kids (somehow makes money from sponsors and the little league). So I guess not every Mormon gets his JD, MD, or DDS/DMD..

I have actually mentioned a couple in my post. Here are some more:

Torah Bright, Olympic snowboarder; Michele Despin, Olympic Luger; Shauna Rohbock, Olympic bobsleder; Angela "Bay" Buchannon, US Treasurer (her sig is still on some old greenbacks); Dr. Martha Hughes Cannon, MD, first female state senator in the US; Ivy Baker Priest, US Treasurer; Julianne Hough, Dancing with the Stars ;); AJ Cook, actress; Sherie Dew, on the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations; Stephanie Meyer, NY Times Best selling Author (Twilight, New Moon); Kelly Eisenhower, jazz vocalist; Gladys Knight, singer; Marie Osmond, singer :D; SheDaisy, singers; Donna Dewberry, artist, creator of "the one stroke" technique.

A good start to a non-exhausted list. :) Hope that helps.

My freshman year college roomate was mormon. She dropped out after freshman year because the one of the 2 local missionaries got her knocked up! Oops.

What about the fact that dentistry is a occupation that provides ample time and money to raise a family. This seems to be the most important thing to the mormon people I know, not education. I respect their sense of family a great deal. Every religion teaches that education is paramount.

I am Mormon, and from the day you are can think, you are taught to get your degree. Education is stressed a lot. There is a reason Utah is in the bottom 5 in the country in money spent on public schools, but is routinely in the top 10 in standardized tests.....More money does not make better students, parents at home pushing their kids into doing their homework makes better students.

Also, your dentist theory does not explain the high numbers of Mormons in medicine, politics, business, law, etc.

I am Mormon, and from the day you are can think, you are taught to get your degree. Education is stressed a lot. There is a reason Utah is in the bottom 5 in the country in money spent on public schools, but is routinely in the top 10 in standardized tests.....More money does not make better students, parents at home pushing their kids into doing their homework makes better students.

Also, your dentist theory does not explain the high numbers of Mormons in medicine, politics, business, law, etc.

Funny, I am not a mormon and from the day I could think, it was stressed to get a degree. I was pulling from my own experiences and from the mormons I know. Please look at my original post, I never said anything about other professions. I said the mormons I know, emphasis on I, went into dentistry because of the ability to provide for their family and to be able to have time to enjoy their family. You come off sounding like a mormon elitist in my opinion. Every religion stresses education, and at the heart of good education is usually a solid family environment. Are you telling me you simply went into dentistry because since you were little, you were taught that you needed to accumulate as many degrees as possible?

Funny, I am not a mormon and from the day I could think, it was stressed to get a degree. I was pulling from my own experiences and from the mormons I know. Please look at my original post, I never said anything about other professions. I said the mormons I know, emphasis on I, went into dentistry because of the ability to provide for their family and to be able to have time to enjoy their family. You come off sounding like a mormon elitist in my opinion. Every religion stresses education, and at the heart of good education is usually a solid family environment. Are you telling me you simply went into dentistry because since you were little, you were taught that you needed to accumulate as many degrees as possible?

I am sure you were taught from a young age that education is important. I am sorry my post came off as "elitest", but what I said was true. Every religion may stress education, but it is a fact that Utah spends less and gets more out of their students and a large part of that is from the Mormon culture.

No, it is not about getting degrees. As I said earlier:

toofshucker said:

Again, I apologize if I came off 'rough'. My point was that there are a lot of Mormons in every post grad program, not just dentistry. I see your point, and completely agree with the pros of dentistry that you mentioned.

I am by no means an expert on mormons in the work place, but it seems to me that there is a relatively high percentage of mormons in dentistry compared to other fields, yes even medicine, politics and law. While the majority of the dental schools seem to be 15-20% mormon, I can assure you that the majority of medical, business and law schools do not have classes comprised of that many mormons.

Funny, I am not a mormon and from the day I could think, it was stressed to get a degree.

I don't think SydB was implying (at all) that mormons are the only group that stresses higher education. The same thing could said in answer to the question "Why are there so many Asians in [insert professional school]?"

He was just trying to offer an explanation. Also I don't think the statement that all religions stress education is true (at least culturally). For example, I am a conservative Catholic (as are my parents), and while one could argue that Catholics value higher education a lot based on how many Universities they have founded, it hasn't been my experience (in either my own family or most of my Catholic friends) that there is a lot of pressure to excel academically. To go to College yes but not necessarily to enter grad/professional school. That's not to say there aren't some parents out there who do emphasize this, I'm just saying what my experience has been.

we have less LDS in our year than usual, there's maybe about 10-15. In the years above us it's been twice that. Why doesn't Utah have a dental school? Seems like they would have plenty of very qualified applicants.

I know the mormons on SDN can't generalize for the whole mormon population, but does your denomination believe in evolution?

Also, what about:
"Lean not unto your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths?" (Proverbs? 3:5-6?? I forget...)
I like the idea that mormons are encouraged to get an education- so many other denominations separate themselves from academia. The Proverbs passage and references to sheep (dumb animals- need a leader) throughout the Bible seem to discourage curiosity and education and encourage blind faith.

I am by no means an expert on mormons in the work place, but it seems to me that there is a relatively high percentage of mormons in dentistry compared to other fields, yes even medicine, politics and law. While the majority of the dental schools seem to be 15-20% mormon, I can assure you that the majority of medical, business and law schools do not have classes comprised of that many mormons.

Every year from BYU there are about 300 dental applicants, 400 medical applicants and 500 law school applicants. There does seem to be a lot of Mormons in dentistry, at least by percent, but Mormons seem to be spread all around. BYU has one of the highest percents of students who pursue post-graduate education.

BYU is just an example and is not representative of the entire mormon society, but it can be very indicative of trends in the religion as a whole.

Mormons, culturally (attribute it as much as you want to religion if you want), are very hard working and achievers. How many mormons do you know that play intruments, sports, speak two languages and spent two years as voluntary missionaries working 60 hours a week? Obtaining education is just the result of the desire to achieve, in my opinion.

This isn't to say that other "cultures" don't have the same drive for acievement, it's just to illustrate that the Mormon culture encourages hard work and achievement.

I know the mormons on SDN can't generalize for the whole mormon population, but does your denomination believe in evolution?

The short answer: Yes

The longer answer: Many mormons don't understand their religions own view on the subject and the details get a little sticky.

Essentially, we believe that man was created by God - the natural laws concerning that creation are not within the scope of religion, but of science.

we have less LDS in our year than usual, there's maybe about 10-15. In the years above us it's been twice that. Why doesn't Utah have a dental school? Seems like they would have plenty of very qualified applicants.

Apparently, Utah doesn't like to spend much money on education :p

The longer answer: Many mormons don't understand their religions own view on the subject. Essentially, we believe that man was created by God - the natural laws concerning that creation are not within the scope of religion, but of science.

I'm aware of the ins-and-outs of this view you speak of.

Apparently, Utah doesn't like to spend much money on education :p

nothin against LDS or any religion for that matter, but come on utah stop piggy backing.

nothin against LDS or any religion for that matter, but come on utah stop piggy backing.

The Utah state legislature has no compelling reason to allocate money to a dental school when Utah is the #12 state as far as dentists per capita (http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea_tot_den_percap-health-total-dentists-per-capita)

I'm sure it would be a popular move if BYU were to start one though!

Looking at the list however it doesn't seem like an instate
dental school does much to help correct low dentist to population ratios. 7 of the bottom 10 states have dental schools (and Texas has 3!)

The longer answer: Many mormons don't understand their religions own view on the subject and the details get a little sticky.

Essentially, we believe that man was created by God - the natural laws concerning that creation are not within the scope of religion, but of science.

But they also believe the Earth is 7,000 years old.

Also, what about:
"Lean not unto your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths?" (Proverbs? 3:5-6?? I forget...)
I like the idea that mormons are encouraged to get an education- so many other denominations separate themselves from academia. The Proverbs passage and references to sheep (dumb animals- need a leader) throughout the Bible seem to discourage curiosity and education and encourage blind faith.

Your scripture answers your first question.

We believe in evolution [(definition: [SIZE=-1]a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage)][/SIZE]. It happens. Horses get bigger, Humans have gotten bigger and stronger, heck, even staph bacteria has evolved and become resistant to certain antibiotics. BUT that doesn't mean humans came from monkeys.

Now, a couple thousand years ago, people thought the world was flat. They didn't completely understand what the world was really like. As time has gone by, they learned that world was round. The world didn't change from being flat to being round. Man just gained more understanding of what was going on around them.

Even 200 years ago, we didn't understand that blood circulated throughout the body, and George Washington was bled to death. This is why we need to be as educated as we can. The more we understand the world around us, the more we can progress. God is the perfect being. He knows everything. The more we learn about our world, the more understanding we will gain, the more we will appreciate what God has done for us and will be more able to take advantage of the blessings he has for us.

So, your scripture answers your question. Just because you think the world is flat, doesn't mean that it is. You may think the world is flat, but if you "lean unto your own understanding" you will not believe the scientist that has proved that the world is round. We don't know everything, and that is where faith comes in. But the more we learn, the more we will understand, the happier we will be.

Finally, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints official stance on evolution is that it has no stance. Like Joseph Smith stated, the Church "teaches them correct principles and they govern themselves."

Thanks for the post! That pretty much answers my question.
-C

Your scripture answers your first question.

We believe in evolution [(definition: [SIZE=-1]a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage)][/SIZE]. It happens. Horses get bigger, Humans have gotten bigger and stronger, heck, even staph bacteria has evolved and become resistant to certain antibiotics. BUT that doesn't mean humans came from monkeys.

NewMexDent-
Do you concur?

BTW, evolutionists don't believe humans came from monkeys, either.

NewMexDent-
Do you concur?

BTW, evolutionists don't believe humans came from monkeys, either.

lol, I know every living thing has a common ancestor. I actually believe I am just like a watch left in a field or something like that.

...then exactly what do evolutionists believe humans came from?

This is the burning question, I personaly am going with self replicationg RNA.

Mantz, lol

I saw this topic in the new posts area and sure enough, your name was attached to it. HAHA!

I'll head back to my Pre-Allo forums now.... LOL

This is the burning question, I personaly am going with self replicationg RNA.

If you want to go back that far, I guess I would have to go with primordial soup...

What I meant was, how did we skip at one point being monkeys...we share a common ancestor with apes, who share a common ancestor with monkeys...

Mantz, lol

I saw this topic in the new posts area and sure enough, your name was attached to it. HAHA!

I'll head back to my Pre-Allo forums now.... LOL

I should be studying for biochem.

Status
Not open for further replies.