How many MSTP's should a Californian apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the average number of apps for a straight MD applicant from CA is like 25, but I'm curious about MSTP applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

InNotOf said:
I've heard that the average number of apps for a straight MD applicant from CA is like 25, but I'm curious about MSTP applicants.

pick no more than 15 schools at which you think you would be competitive. Any more and your essays will suck and the travel will start to wear you down.

i agree with seventhson. i did 16 total, and if i had to do it again, i'd apply to the 10 schools i'd seriously consider going to + 1 back up. most applicants i've met had done under 20 and seemed to fare well, but i did meet one guy who did 30 something. he was sick (literally) when i met him on my interview. i wonder why... i also heard of someone doing 40+, and that they didn't get in anywhere. it could have been that they weren't a competitive applicant, but spreading themselves too thin probably didn't help either.

if you are a competitive applicant, i would recommend you apply to around 15 and no more than 20 schools. focus yourself, and do them well :thumbup:

California resident or not, MSTP applicant usually applies to ~15. Some schools like UCs tend to admit California residents, but I believe such rules don't apply for MSTP admission. Thus the average number of MSTP a CA resident applies to is same as that of people from other states.

Since MSTP applications may include more essays than MD applications, doing more than that will exhaust you. Doing those secondaries seemed almost like a part time job. Good luck.