Should I be networking with PIs at MSTPs I want to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1159869

How much does that actually hold weight? I was chatting with an MD/PhD student today who said it would be valuable to network as some PIs can sway admissions committees, particularly if they want you to come work with them. Is that true at all?

Additionally, does having ties to an MSTP program (i.e. doing research there) help at all? I've been doing research and Penn and Harvard and would love to apply there, but my stats are far below median. Another student told me that almost everyone he knows was accepted to programs where they previously did research, is that more correlation than causation?

Members don't see this ad.

I did research at a T10 for over a year, published a paper etc. My PI there was good friends with the admission committee and directly emailed them a letter on my behalf. He sent me the letter and it was super supportive, told them they needed to admit me because I was an invaluable addition to his lab, etc. Two days later the R showed up in my inbox.... So I think the letter definitely made them look at my app but the outcome was not positive... I had a 3.9X/518 with 4000+ hours of research but those top MSTPs are highly competitive and have no shortage of incredible applicants.

Long story short, I unfortunately don't think it's going to help much. Better to focus your attention on crushing your interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does 'network' mean?

If you mean you are already working in a lab at an institution where you want to apply and you have a good relationship with the PI, then should you ask them to write you a letter? Yes of course. Not a slam dunk but if your application is within range for the school then it can't hurt. (But if your stats are 'far below median' as you say, it's not going to work a miracle.)

If you are asking whether you should cold-contact PIs at schools where you want to apply, outside of the regular admissions/interview process, then No. Please do not do this. It will not help you and these people have enough stuff on their plates.

Reactions: 2 users
What does 'network' mean?

If you mean you are already working in a lab at an institution where you want to apply and you have a good relationship with the PI, then should you ask them to write you a letter? Yes of course. Not a slam dunk but if your application is within range for the school then it can't hurt. (But if your stats are 'far below median' as you say, it's not going to work a miracle.)

If you are asking whether you should cold-contact PIs at schools where you want to apply, outside of the regular admissions/interview process, then No. Please do not do this. It will not help you and these people have enough stuff on their plates.
That makes a ton of sense, thanks!

Just a quick side question, what would you consider “far-below” median?

I have a 518/3.85 and my advisor told me it wouldn’t be worth applying to T10 MSTPs since I would be “far below median” (her words), but I still want to try for Harvard and Penn since I did research there for so long. Do you think she’s right and would it be more realistic to look elsewhere?

I have a 518/3.85 and my advisor told me it wouldn’t be worth applying to T10 MSTPs since I would be “far below median” (her words), but I still want to try for Harvard and Penn since I did research there for so long. Do you think she’s right and would it be more realistic to look elsewhere?
Gee those stats sound ok to me but I am far removed from this process now. In general one should always apply broadly, but if application fees aren't an obstacle, applying to more top schools does give you more shots at the goal.

Those stats are within spitting range, IMO. If you have the time & money to write their secondaries, by all means apply